No carved images

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe

Jul 1, 2002
✟300.00
Everytime I ride by a church I will always see a "cross" sticking high in the air. What part of the 2nd commandment do the churches not understand? What part of Exodus 20:4 do they not understand? Are they purposely "taunting" the Creator or is it just "monkey see monkey do"? Alot of money has been spent in numerous ways which causes us to keep breaking the laws. Anyone care to "shed some light"?

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahh...this was covered in church history. It was the Iconoclast "contriversy". In my opinion, The cross is not to be worshiped. It is to reflect God's glory. Just like you might keep some sand from a trip to remind you of the fond memories you had, the cross serves to remind us of christ's sacrifice. If anything else it points us TO Christ, not away from him as idols do.

Upvote 0

wannabe

Jul 1, 2002
✟300.00
"fond memories"? hmmm... Don't be offended but my opinion is slightly different. Let's say your closest friend (nothing personal, just an example) whom you loved all your life was suddenly grabbed by the police and accused for a serious crime he never committed. He was even dragged before you and "loved ones" eyes and in a ruthless cold hearted way, beaten and mocked then sentenced to death and while everyone watched, he was strapped to an electric chair and was electricuted to death before your very eyes and you watch while blood runs down the electric chair. Would you go out and purchase a minature gold plated electric chair to hang around your neck just for memories sake? I think our Creator was serious when He stated the 2nd commandment. The "controversy" lies between humans, not our Creator.

:wave: -shalom

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Would you go out and purchase a minature gold plated electric chair to hang around your neck just for memories sake? "

If he did it so save my life, maybe so. I look at a cross and it reminds me of how great a price God paid for me and reminds me how I am his forever and ever. Like it says in romans, "What, then, shall we say in response to this? if God is for us, who can be agaist us? He who did not speare his own Son, but gave him up for us alll-.."

God saved me. The cross reminds me of that. It was God's greatest trumph. Again, you misinterpret the 2nd commandment. No one worships the cross, it serves as a reminder. Please don't put words in our mouth saying we worship it, because we don't.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I agree with Louis: The cross is not to be worshiped. It is to reflect God's glory.

some people find comfort in wearing a cross and making crosses; humans for some reasons love to have something to hold onto, like painting and taking pictures for a memory, but i don't think they've yet put all their concentration to "worship" a cross. In OT (and now too), God is absolutely against us worshipping other gods besides Him. The people back than saw the idols of wood and gold as gods. That's the distinct difference between a cross and an idol. An idol is seen as a god, whereas a cross is seen as a symbol of God's love for us. People see it as an inspiration, a reminder of God's love.

Upvote 0

wannabe

Jul 1, 2002
✟300.00
"please don't put words in our mouth saying we worship it because we don't" Now, did I say this? or do you think thats how the "cross" is coming "across"?
I would like to share some information with you however,
Go to your "Bible" and look up:
Acts 5:30 "...whom you executed by hanging on a tree..."
Acts 10:39 "...and they killed him by hanging him on a tree"
Acts 13:29 when they had carried out everything that scripture foretells about him they took him down from the tree and buried him in a tomb".

If you grab a concordance book with a hebrew dictionary
(I'm using Strong's right now) the english word "tree" is #6086 in Strong's Concordance and comes from the hebrew word "ets" meaning:... hence wood (plural sticks)-staff, stalk, stick, timber....

The english word "cross" came from the GREEK word "stauros"
"stauros is a "stake" or "uprightpost"

Did you ever hear the phrase "post" the "word"?

The Greeks worshiped many deities (as you are aware of) and they hated "those detestable jews", One of the Greeks most admired was (T)ammuz. Many things have been corrupted by Greek/Roman mythology.
The word "Bible" came from the Greek word "Biblyos" meaning: "little books". The Greeks even altered the name of the Creators originally written "commands" which were "Scrolls" not books.

The "commandments" were given to us also to protect us. Of course we have the right to choose.

Shalom

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
uh, meaning?

Acts 5:30-31: The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead-whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Saviour that he might give repentance and forgiveness of our sins to Israel.

Acts 10:39-40 ...They killed him by hanging him on a tree, but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen.

without His dying on the cross, He would not have been raised, thus was the will of God.

Upvote 0

wannabe

Jul 1, 2002
✟300.00
This is where I will probably become disliked but I must speak the "truth" no matter what. Meaning...the Greek name "Ie'sous Christos" transliterated to Latin "Iesus" to English "Jesus Christ(os)" died on a cross ( Greek mythology) cross, from the GREEK (crux)

However, YAHshua MashiYAH (Messiah), the one that did die for us, died on an upright post or stake.

*take note of "YAH" in both names

Wouldn't you be curious to know why the name of our Savior
is Hebrew (Yahshua Mashiyah, pronounced Mash-ee-YAH)and in the "Greek copies" of the "New Testament" his name suddenly turned into Greek (Iesous Christos)??

There is only ONE name given to man under the Lofties (heaven)which we can be rescued(saved) and that name is NOT Greek.

Rev 12:9 "Satan, who decieves the whole world"

-shalom (peace)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.