Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife and are getting restless to go camping since we haven't been out since the Fourth of July so we were thinking of somewhere near here to spend New Year's Eve. All the nearby state parks are full but it dawned on me that the Holy Trinity Monastery in St. David has some RV camping spots available. We called them, and sure enough, there's plenty of space. So, we're spending the New Year in a Benedictine monastery. We're just expected to participate in the monastic exercises of silence, solitude, simple living, community and personal prayer. Sounds tough!

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
So, we're spending the New Year in a Benedictine monastery.

Hmmmmmmm......I got a bottle of this as a Christmas present......

d-o-m-benedictine-liqueur-normandie-france-10153768.jpg

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmmmmm......I got a bottle of this as a Christmas present......

d-o-m-benedictine-liqueur-normandie-france-10153768.jpg

Here's what I got. American bourbon whiskey with Vermont maple syrup.

img-4132-1_orig.jpg

And on another note, it's dawned on me on my latest trip to Portland that my niece and nephew school's name is St. Ignatius. Hmmm........................

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
sounds ideal Tad - a time to reflect , a time to pray, a time to be with a Community.

And in all this - a break from the pressures of the world - time to recharge your batteries

It does sound ideal. It's hard for me not to see the finger of God working in this one. I hear there's good birding around the monastery as well. :)

I've had a good break this Christmas already. My wife and I had a chance to get away for a couple days after visiting her family for Christmas. As I told my boss, no one knew who or where I was. I liked it. I've made some changes in my schedule, retiring from serving at my parish being one of them, so next year won't be quite so hectic. I'm looking forward to a more simple life. The next two days promise to be a good start.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a series of mystery novels written by Ellis Peters which features a returned crusader turned Benedictine monk set in Wales in the early twelfth century. Well researched and excellent reading. The hero and sleuth is Brother Cadfael.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,133,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think praying in the New Year was probably common in immigrant communities. I was born in Brooklyn, and my parents lived in an apartment right across the street from the Catholic Church. My grandparents lived in the same building. My mother said that families would have New Year's Eve parties but at 11 p.m. they would all walk to church to pray in the New Year.

I don't think that any churches were open here at midnight on the New Year.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think praying in the New Year was probably common in immigrant communities. I was born in Brooklyn, and my parents lived in an apartment right across the street from the Catholic Church. My grandparents lived in the same building. My mother said that families would have New Year's Eve parties but at 11 p.m. they would all walk to church to pray in the New Year.

I don't think that any churches were open here at midnight on the New Year.

That sounds like a nice tradition.

I was asleep by 8:30.

The monastery doesn't encourage watching TV but my wife brought hers anyway. We managed to get a few analogue channels, one of which was playing reruns of the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour.

It was a wild New Year's Eve at the monastery.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What can I say? It's been several weeks since New Year's and yet my experience at the monastery remains with me. What I was hoping would be a camping trip turned into a retreat.

We left Tucson around sunrise in order to get to the 10:30 mass. My wife didn't know what to think of the place when we arrived. Kind of dry and scruffy and barren of people. In the absence of any soul with any kind of authority we threw caution to the wind and parked our trailer in the mostly empty RV park.

A resident drove by and said hi. He told us mass wasn't said at the monastery anymore, we had to drive to a nearby community if we wanted to go. Undeterred, we headed out to the chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

We arrived just before 10:15. The chapel was intimate and tiny, but has everything a good Catholic church should have including beautiful rosaries tucked into place under the chairs where the missals should go. The chapel was fairly well occupied, a phenomena give our remote location and we had no priest.

At 10:15 am a bell rang and the oblates began their midday prayers. We weren't sure what to do, we just hung on for the ride.

Mass was celebrated. An elderly priest from up north came to be with us. He reminded me of my own pastor. He preached about families and it all came from his heart and is was all very Catholic and very sweet.

After mass, although there was an opportunity to gather for fellowship, the locals pretty much kept to themselves, which was fine. My wife tracked down someone so we could pay for our space, and then we headed out for other adventures in southern Arizona.

New Year's morning I awoke to the sounds of White-winged Doves (I've lost control!) and the rising sun shining upon the enormous cross that rises above the monastery. Naturally I spent the morning traversing the grounds contemplating the birds I encountered.

We met the RV park host and her friend that morning. They had arrived late in the night from Iowa. She was an oblate and her friend was a third order Franciscan. He had a lot of history with the Diocese of Tucson. It was really interesting talking to him.

That was the thing about being at the monastery. While being quiet and prayerful is expected (I was even starting to take offence at my wife's prattling as she followed along behind me on my bird walks) you're also in community, and what I found is like minded souls that can speak openly about their Catholic faith. The oblates and retired religious who have found a home there have also found a refuge for their Catholic faith. I liked it. It reminded me of my pilgrimage to Lourdes. You're surrounded by so many elements and reminders of the faith but most especially the faithful, the pilgrims from all over the world that are responding to the same call as you are.

And, as if this couldn't get any better, the monastery lies along the banks of the San Pedro river.

Behold! The St. Peter river!

DSC_0151 (2).JPG

Upvote 0