rogsr

May 5, 2004
✟1,050.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello,
I think volunteerism is something that we all need to do more of as a whole. Things like soup kitchens, homeless shelter/outreach programs, things like this. The question is how do you get people to do these things, and I'm talking about everyone not just older retired people. Really I think it begins in the church. Some churches just do the service and then lets everyone leave without really leading them in doing these things. When else can you get the majority of a congregation together at large? I used to not even go to church because it seemed like they were just concerned with the donations basket. Money can be given for service in Christ but becoming a true servant of your neighbors involves getting your hands dirty.

Upvote 0

Hands&Feet

Sep 27, 2003
USA
✟851.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I feel that the whole mega church/church growth mentality has taken the church at large over the edge into an abyss of narcissism. It has placed a financial and volunteerism burden on Christians which has averted monies and physical assistance from area of dire need. The more inward the church has grown, the less outward in its true effectiveness.

The social gospel vs. conservative gospel has also created a scism which has forced liberals and conservatives to distance themselves from the positive aspects each has to offer. The result is a group of people trying to meet social concerns and working as advocates for social injustice often involving themselves with groups and institutions which are without the empowerment and guidance of the Holy Spirit, and then you have more Biblically motivated believers who find themselves consumed by the increasing burden placed upon them by flourishing institutions which are becoming more and more inward in their ministries.

This has to grieve the heart of God. What a dynamic church we could be if we focused on one another's strengths rather than weaknesses.

Meanwhile, back at the secular ranch, the unchurched see institutional religion as becoming less relevant all the time. We wonder why youth have disconnected from church and the problem can be found more in the idea that the church has disconnected with the mission of God. I deal with unchurched people all the time, and their biggest beef with the church is that it appears so self-centered to them. I have to agree. That is not to say that the church has no social ministry agenda, but it is grossly overshadowed by those institutions that are building larger towers of Babel all the time.

It is increasingly difficult to find ministries that have a good vision for social justice. Tonycampolo.org is one of the few websites out there which offer a variety of sound social ministries that are worth investing time and money into. But, everyone of us can start our own social outreaches without stifling its outreach capability by placing it under an institutional umbrella. The first church often went out by twos and often one at a time. We would be amazed at how powerful and profound the Gospel seems to the lost went it is presented through compassion ministries. And the converts we make through this kind of outreach become some of the most Spirit-filled believers out there. It is time for the church to turn outward and to put the real meat and potatoes of compassion behind its evangelistic mission.

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟16,322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here here! And I would add another website in order to counter said challenges to the Church--which is termed herein "me-ism"--http://CatandDogTheology.com

Hands&Feet said:
I feel that the whole mega church/church growth mentality has taken the church at large over the edge into an abyss of narcissism. It has placed a financial and volunteerism burden on Christians which has averted monies and physical assistance from area of dire need. The more inward the church has grown, the less outward in its true effectiveness.

The social gospel vs. conservative gospel has also created a scism which has forced liberals and conservatives to distance themselves from the positive aspects each has to offer. The result is a group of people trying to meet social concerns and working as advocates for social injustice often involving themselves with groups and institutions which are without the empowerment and guidance of the Holy Spirit, and then you have more Biblically motivated believers who find themselves consumed by the increasing burden placed upon them by flourishing institutions which are becoming more and more inward in their ministries.

This has to grieve the heart of God. What a dynamic church we could be if we focused on one another's strengths rather than weaknesses.

Meanwhile, back at the secular ranch, the unchurched see institutional religion as becoming less relevant all the time. We wonder why youth have disconnected from church and the problem can be found more in the idea that the church has disconnected with the mission of God. I deal with unchurched people all the time, and their biggest beef with the church is that it appears so self-centered to them. I have to agree. That is not to say that the church has no social ministry agenda, but it is grossly overshadowed by those institutions that are building larger towers of Babel all the time.

It is increasingly difficult to find ministries that have a good vision for social justice. Tonycampolo.org is one of the few websites out there which offer a variety of sound social ministries that are worth investing time and money into. But, everyone of us can start our own social outreaches without stifling its outreach capability by placing it under an institutional umbrella. The first church often went out by twos and often one at a time. We would be amazed at how powerful and profound the Gospel seems to the lost went it is presented through compassion ministries. And the converts we make through this kind of outreach become some of the most Spirit-filled believers out there. It is time for the church to turn outward and to put the real meat and potatoes of compassion behind its evangelistic mission.

Upvote 0

fadedblue

Aug 12, 2004
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Interesting forum.

This isn't directly related to community service or whatnot, but I thought I'd post it anyway. My college bible study group recently just finished studying the book of Amos together, which is a pretty convicting book regarding social justice. It's so easy to be stuck in our little bubble of comfort and just ignore those who are less fortunate...kind of sad really.

So if any of you are looking for a book to study, read Amos, and really read it. God has so many things to say about social justice, and it's just a really interesting book...hope you find it convicting in your own lives :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums