Upvote 0

ctobola

Sep 30, 2004
Fargo
✟562.00
Faith
Lutheran
LR,

I'm not sure what your needs are, but in my experience some of the online and software-based Scriptures provide a remarkable wealth of information including various versions. Certainly not as portable as paper, but a lot more robust. Just a thought you might want to consider.

In Christ, -Cloy

Lutherrunner said:
What would be a good study bible for ELCA folks?......I was looking at Augsburg Publishing and saw a Harper Collins NRSV....would that be good?...any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

Lutherrunner

Dec 20, 2004
Ft. Worth, TX
✟8,529.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Democrat
ctobola said:
LR,

I'm not sure what your needs are, but in my experience some of the online and software-based Scriptures provide a remarkable wealth of information including various versions. Certainly not as portable as paper, but a lot more robust. Just a thought you might want to consider.

In Christ, -Cloy

Well, actually, what got me to wondering was the thread in the main Lutheran forum about the Concordia Study Bible.....

NIV Concordia Self-Study Bible - Black Bonded Leather

so I wondered what was available in the NRSV......and I do spend toooooo much time on the computer so I was looking for something I could hold in my hands and read in bed.......:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

setmefree

May 30, 2005
Near Chicago
✟604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LR

The Concordia Study Bible is definitely only available in NIV.

This is fine by me but now that I am ELCA, I’m in possession of Bibles that are not their “official” translation, the NRSV.

I wonder if I will be kicked out of the Church if they find out.:D

I became a bit Study Bible obsessed over the last few months and actually own 4.:eek:

Quest

Concordia

Thompson Chain Reference

Life Application.

I know it seems a bit over the top, but collecting Bibles is better than some of the other things I have spent my money on.;)

PM or email me if you want any info on them.

keith

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
setmefree said:
LR

This is fine by me but now that I am ELCA, I’m in possession of Bibles that are not their “official” translation, the NRSV.

Are you kidding? This is the ELCA. Get a Book of Mormon! Get a Qur'an! It's all good! ;)

Upvote 0

SemStudent08

Apr 11, 2005
Dubuque, IA
Visit site
✟336.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
setmefree said:
LR

Nothing wrong with NIV. That would be the study Bible I use here at my ELCA seminary (when not using my Greek NT or Hebrew Bible). Here is a brief exerpt from the ELCA website on some of the Bible translations:

"[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you have one or more Bibles in your home, look at the cover or in the front pages to see what translation or version it is. Some, such as the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) of the 1952 Revised Standard Version (RSV) and the New International Version (NIV), seek to provide to the greatest extent possible a literal word‑for‑word translation from original‑language ancient manuscripts. Some, such as Today's English Version (TEV) (sometimes called The Good News Bible), have a meaning‑for‑meaning translation (i.e. "In today's language, this is what the ancient manuscript is saying to us"). Others, such as the Living Bible Paraphrased (LBP) are paraphrases - using words that place a higher priority on conveying the story’s meaning, than attending to linguistic accuracy. [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The less lit[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]eral the translation, the more likely it will reflect the translator's perspective. The LBP is the work of one person, and his personal point of view as a practicing Baptist is evident. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Even translations by committees can carry points of view. The NRSV committee included both male and female scholars from all major Protestant denominations (as well as Roman Catholic and Jewish representatives). It is not surprising that the NRSV tends to use inclusive language when it is obvious that the original texts refer to women and well as men (e.g., translating as "brothers and sisters" a word previously translated "brethren"). [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The King James Version (KJV) is renowned for its beautiful, poetic use of the English language, but it is a translation that preceded 500 years of linguistic and archeological study available to modern translators. We simply know more about Biblical times and languages than did 17th Century English translators. Of course language meaning also has changed, and uncovering older, more complete ancient manuscripts helps to fill in gaps or correct errors in translation (e.g., a word translated several times as "unicorn" in the KJV is now known to translate as "wild ox"). [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The value of comparing translations [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When reading a particular translation, it is always helpful to read through the preface provided by the editor or translator to see what it is they claim to have produced and how they went about it. ELCA Lutherans find value in reading a number of current translations, and often compare curious or troubling texts with the aid of commentaries that seek to clarify meanings. We seek to understand the depth of what is being said, and value scholarship and textual study. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Helpful reading: "About the Bible," Terence E. Fretheim, Augsburg Fortress, 1999." [/font]

Upvote 0

setmefree

May 30, 2005
Near Chicago
✟604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:wave:

Actually Bible translation is a fascinating topic.

This link compares John 3 v16 in no less than 68 different translations!

http://www.innvista.com/culture/religion/bible/compare/godloved.htm

The verse comparisons are at the bottom of the page.

At the top of the page is the list of translations themselves and their abbreviations. If you click on the name you are given a description of the history and reasons behind the translation.

When funds become available the versions I would like to get next are.

The New Jerusalem Bible. NJB (uses literal translation of Lord Yahweh):amen:

The Revised English Bible. REB

The Amplified Bible. AB

The New Revised Standard Bible. NRSV (to keep the church happy :D )

keith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status