Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello, I believe this would be useful because the Hebrew is just extremely hard to read and it doesn't necessarily need to be that way. In fact, there is a long history of Jews writing in the Arabic script because it's easier on the eyes like Maimonides ( Judeo-Arabic too); I don't really understand why they can't do this for seminaries or just lay people because there is a long history of Arabic to Greek and Greek to Arabic translation. There's also probably a billion people worldwide who use the Arabic script such as Urdu people, Sudanese, Pakistanis that would be able to read it more easily than trying to learn the Hebrew alphabet. For my own study in particular, if I can look up a word in Arabic, notice it's a cognate and compare it to Greek, it's way faster than checking if I'm reading it right in Hebrew as the letters are so similar they are almost indistinguishable. For example, the CPH commentaries would be orders of magnitude easier to study as a layperson and look up words etc.

Last edited:

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello, I believe this would be useful because the Hebrew is just extremely hard to read and it doesn't necessarily need to be that way. In fact, there is a long history of Jews writing in the Arabic script because it's easier on the eyes like Maimonides ( Judeo-Arabic too); I don't really understand why they can't do this for seminaries or just lay people because there is a long history of Arabic to Greek and Greek to Arabic translation. There's also probably a billion people worldwide who use the Arabic script such as Urdu people, Sudanese, Pakistanis that would be able to read it more easily than trying to learn the Hebrew alphabet. For my own study in particular, if I can look up a word in Arabic, notice it's a cognate and compare it to Greek, it's way faster than checking if I'm reading it right in Hebrew as the letters are so similar they are almost indistinguishable. For example, the CPH commentaries would be orders of magnitude easier to study as a layperson and look up words etc.

In my estimation there is too much neglect of the LXX and Peshitta Old Testament and over idolization of the masoretic text, this has lead to doctrinal error in the Church through the reinterpretation of the OT, usually in a more liberal way. Particulary, since Aramaic and Arabic are scripts where letters must be connected to each other, the word splicing that can occur in Hebrew is not possible in these languages. This prevents any new theories from gaining traction.

Upvote 0