Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was very young in the faith, I used to read all the church literature I could get a hold of. The Spiritual Sword, Contending For The Faith, etc.

What this did was 'poison the water' so that I would instantly put up blinders if any doctrine that was mentioned as being in violation of 2 Jn.9, was brought to my attention in the future. It was brutally effective on me! So, many of our publishing brethren have learned a very effective method from the Denominations. This kind of thing really hurts the Restoration effort.:sigh:

Nazarite

Paid In Full (1st John 1:9)
Aug 22, 2004
LA (Lower Alabama)
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be very interested in discussing the meaning of 2 John 9 with you Stinker. If "the teaching of Christ" is what you may be suggesting then we are all in a lot of trouble. However, I believe the context will explain the meaning of this verse quite well.

Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son (2 John 9).

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I am referring to are the writers of church papers that focus on the different teachings and practices that follow after baptism. Some of these being of how other congregations practice communion differently than how the writers of the papers practice, teachings about Divorce & Remarriage that differ from the writer's teaching, the use of Human Institutions by various congregations, etc.

It seems to me that writers of church papers have been very arbitrary in their use of 1 Jn.9 against people and practices that were different from their own.

Upvote 0

Nazarite

Paid In Full (1st John 1:9)
Aug 22, 2004
LA (Lower Alabama)
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point is that I believe there is only one thing to which 2 John 9 refers. It seems clear from the context and the Greek construction of John's letter that the teaching of Christ is "the Gospel pure and simple." Anyone who denies the truth of the Gospel is in big trouble.

And I am with you. It seems very unfortunate that many of our group have misunderstood the important distinction between Gospel and Doctrine. One is the seed of life and the other is the food by which we survive. Both are important but are definately different. When the two have become confused with one another is when our brotherhood has descended into some very unpleasant bickering.

Upvote 0