Costa Mesa, California
Visit site
✟15,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Visit: costamesacrosscountry.com

My high school cross country coach, Joe Fisher along with his wife Mrs. Fisher, who coached at Costa Mesa High School, in Costa Mesa, California from 1969 through 1980: had a record of ten straight years of varsity dual meet league victories and a high school CIF Southern Section championship at the boys varsity level was won in 1976. Costa Mesa High School varsity boys cross country has won the Orange County championships six times under Coach Fisher. This is still the best record of Orange County victories in the history of varsity boys cross country. I was privileged to be on the last team that won in 1980. Coach Joe Fisher was voted California high school boys cross country coach of the year in 1978, during my freshman year.

I started running cross country at Costa Mesa High School, in Costa Mesa, California: my Alma Mater in the fall of 1978. Also, I ran the mile and the two mile in track through all four years of high school. I made several new friends on the cross country team, and developed a close relationship with Coach Fisher. We had our summer cross country running camp at his property in Idaho. The memories of those good times will always live on. Our boys and girls teams became close friends like brothers and sisters. The Girls had much success and worked just as hard as th boys. The Girls Varsity won the Sea View league crown in 1980. Many invitational victories were won by the girls teams. I also remember several of our workouts; running hills at the back bay in Newport Beach, beach runs at Huntington Beach on Saturdays in the summer, River to ocean 10.9 miles, Airport loop 9.0 miles around John Wayne Airport, Orange County, Bear street 5.6 miles,etc... and who could ever forget Agony hill near the UCI campus in Irvine. Through these workouts, Coach Fisher emphasized "packing", and it carried on into our races, which helped us to win. Coach Fisher also taught us several qualities: discipline, desire, loyalty, respect, team work, goal setting and striving to achieve our goals and finally reaching them. He made sure in our practices to be prepared mentally, emotionally and physically, to ready us for our competition. We continue to use the things he instilled in us in our daily lives.

I recollect running several great cross country courses from Mt. SAC to our home course at Tewinkle Park. Coach Fisher used to make us run the whole course for warmup as we planned our race strategy. Coach always made sure that we cooled down after every race.

I was blessed by the Lord to be a team member of the varsity cross country team in the fall of 1980. We won all of our invitational races:
Pacifica, Dana Hills, Villa Park, our own Costa Mesa Invitational, Orange County Championships, and Mt. SAC, the largest high school cross country Invitational in the United States. My personal record in the 3-mile in high school was 14:50.

Then as a coach what I learned through running in high school I was blessed to help give it back to the kids along with coach Joe Busi. Two Pacific Coast league championships were won in 1995 and 1996 for Costa Mesa High School boys varsity cross-country.
I coached cross country & track at Costa Mesa High school from 1987-2001. I also coached Jr. high track at Costa Mesa High 1995-2001.

Take care!

Mark Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.