layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think most of today's music stinks, so other than a few retro songs I may download, I don't bother listening to anything. And most of those are songs I do at karaoke. I've only heard a couple of hard-rock sorta bands, and hip hop groups of the christian persuation that I didn't mind. Other than that, I go to the odd punk show.

Upvote 0

ms_lizzie

Aug 19, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
✟155.00
Faith
Protestant
I feel like I am a bit in flux. Since coming back to God it seems that a lot of music I used to listen to just doesn't appeal to me in the same way that it use to. I definitely like classic rock, hard rock, blues and jazz, but finding true music and musicians seems to be hard even with secular music and harder with Christian.

Do you have any Christian groups you would recommend?

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I feel like I"m in a similar position as you Lizzie- there's not much that appeals to me now. I used to be a huge Tori Amos & Dan Bern fan, hardly ever listen to them anymore- they're too cool for themselves. I think if those two ever found Christ, we could bring millions more to the fray. I miss music since I don't normally have a computer so I can't listen online and I live in the middle of the mountains so our reception is nil. sniff. :cry:

Anyway, my brother just got a job doing the afternoon drive shift on CHRI fm and they do Christian hits. I"ve heard a lot of good music on this station, I'm pleased and impressed. My favourite song on that station is one by the Newsboys called "He Reigns" and it totally rocks my world, it a great dancing song, it's inspiring and I get goosebumps every time I hear it. (I"m picky about music- I used to be a dancer)

http://www.chri.ca/default.php

give it a go and tell Keith Groves (my little bro) that I sent ya!

Upvote 0

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I don't really listen to christian music because I'm just not interested in it, same with any other music. Some of my friends listen to christian music, but mostly bands such as DC Talk and common ones like that. Whenever I turn on any christian stations, it's kinda boring, and I'm too lazy to do more research to find what I'd consider good. I think there are several good metal/hard rock bands, I've seen "Mr. Cheese" mention them on here... but if they sound like Linken Park or whatever "metal" band the kids are listening to, I wouldn't want to hear it, regardless of how good the lyrics are. :D There's just no winning for me! I like classic and hard rock, punk, metal, but the non-christian stuff talks about sex and drugs and things like that, so I don't find it appealing anymore. Lately, I've been listening to the oldies station here in Calgary, and that's all love songs, and they still sang about God back in that day, so it's good enough for me. Besides that, I listen to the Eagles, Led Zepplin, Procol Harum, etc if I'm trying to remember the lyrics and whatnot for when I go to karaoke, but not otherwise. I really like 80s and 90s music because it reminds me of my childhood :) .

Upvote 0

ms_lizzie

Aug 19, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
✟155.00
Faith
Protestant
I found a couple of new bands online including "Tait Band" that I liked. But you are right it is hard to find good music. My roomie was listening to country and they often mention God, Jesus etc., and I think it is so refreshing.

As for the Newsboys "He Reigns", I heard it at church. Those boys from Down Under are great, but I just a bit more diversity. I wish there was a strong underground music culture for Christian music in North America. Imagine the possibilities?!

Upvote 0