Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Another person who does not understand the difference between faith and science.
In science, no evidence equals it didn't happen.
Faith is the evidence of things not seen.
This is not about differences, it's about similaritues. You don't seem to understand the similarity between fiction and science fiction.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
I have no problem with considering the idea of a multi verse, but it's not a scientific idea until there's some kind of evidence. That's how science works. It doesn't have to be proven per say but there has to be reasonable evidence for it to be even a theory.
That's not strictly true - physical multiverses are more than pure speculation, they're predictions of widely accepted physical theories, given some simple assumptions. Such predictions are, and always have been, commonplace in science, and much of scientific knowledge results from demonstrations of them, e.g. black holes.

Many well-tested theories also make untestable predictions that are unremarkable, but such predictions are rarely called out as 'unscientific' - it is when predictions are both untestable and remarkable that scientific hackles are raised. But when the testable predictions of scientific theories can produce such remarkable paradigm shifts in physical worldview as Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, and so on, it seems perverse to call their (currently) untestable predictions 'unscientific'. YMMV.

Reactions: JohnEmmett
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How would one define universe to include more than one? My understanding of universe is all existing matter and space. I would have to discard that definition to consider the possibility that there is more than one universe.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does no one have a definition of universe that would allow me to consider the possibility of multiple universes? The definition I have been using my entire life insists that the universe is all existing matter and space. If one is speaking of multiple matter and space, one is not by that definition speaking of multiple universes but of separate parts of the universe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
How would one define universe to include more than one? My understanding of universe is all existing matter and space. I would have to discard that definition to consider the possibility that there is more than one universe.
The definition of the term changes (has changed) over time. When it was first realised that the fuzzy stars outside our galaxies were distant galaxies in their own right, they were initially called 'island universes'...

With the advent of multiverse hypotheses, the most common definition seems to involve volumes of spacetime 'beyond our ken', i.e. significant volumes comparable to the known extent of our own spacetime (though potentially with different physical laws) but forever inaccessible/unknowable (although there are theoretical exceptions).

Perhaps the term 'universe' will eventually encompass all such volumes and a new word will be coined for them, but it seems unlikely now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Does no one read or understand

One can read anything, but one can only come to understanding if what one has read makes logical sense. Without a clear definition a word is nothing more than gibberish. If one cannot define the words and terms one uses one ought not to consider others will understand what one is trying to say. Vagueness is unhelpful for understanding to be achieved. If one cannot explain one's ideas in terms others can easily understand one might as well keep one's ideas to oneself.

Upvote 0