Florida
✟327,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to limit the pools to either WMR, 9mm, or 38 sp. what's best? She's an 80+ Grandma and needs a good gun in the house she can use because the town has gotten less safe...

.38 revolver. They're simple to use, they don't jam, they're noisy as all get out. Along with the revolver, have her get a small yappy dog. A barking dog is usually enough to scare a burglar away.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.38 revolver. They're simple to use, they don't jam, they're noisy as all get out. Along with the revolver, have her get a small yappy dog. A barking dog is usually enough to scare a burglar away.
or an 80 year old with perhaps no previous shooting training and practice? shooting any firearm in the house will be VERY loud and perhaps blow her ear drums out, it isn't like TV. 22 tops for in a house, the mere sight of a firearm in her hand will most often be enough. Yappy dog would be a great help and companionship. Can of mace/pepper spray.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm...pepper spray in a house doesn't work too well, either. We used it in case of dog attack, and one day a friend discovered the nozzle on his was clogged. No problem. I cleaned it and did a short spray into my trash can. Bad idea. The stuff will also leave a potent residue.

I know what you're saying about the noise, though, and you do have to practice.

Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟108,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to limit the pools to either WMR, 9mm, or 38 sp. what's best? She's an 80+ Grandma and needs a good gun in the house she can use because the town has gotten less safe...

granny should move to a neighbourhood she feels safe in ...

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
here is a co2 powered one, you want to hope it has pressure when you need it.

Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i vote for the 38sp. i have a charter arms undercover, 2", 5 shot. small and light but very little recoil (as long as you're not shooting fiocchi)

shooting that gun wouldn't be much more than shooting a 22, but much more potent.

i'm not a fan of pepper spray. you get it in your own eyes, you have to spray it in the exact right spot, and extremely intoxicated people might not be affected by it at all.

Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great round, the 38 special, very good point about the spray.
I would still want really good ear protection indoors.
Reading up un Richard Kuklinski, he said he shot once in a vehicle, the concussion and noise was horrible, could easily blow out the ear drums.
best wishes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums