Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was actually delicious. But looking at it they might have just said to themselves lets give the white guy a fish head!
Is there much meat to a fish head? It seems like there'd be a high bone to flesh ratio. There're Mexican restaurants around here that serve an entire fish intact, from head to tail, but I've never seen much benefit to that since I know I wouldn't be eating the tail.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is there much meat to a fish head? It seems like there'd be a high bone to flesh ratio. There're Mexican restaurants around here that serve an entire fish intact, from head to tail, but I've never seen much benefit to that since I know I wouldn't be eating the tail.
More than youd think, with some careful chopstick surgery. But not enough for a meal. Perhaps thats why I also "ordered" (without intending to) this:

20190507173715_IMG_0897.JPG

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟104,760.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I can't believe this. Is there a reason tourists can't use an ounce of common sense.
[devil’s advocate]
”Well, we finally made it to the shrine, eight hours late, but the food was excellent and the wine was passable and we’re going home tomorrow so…we’re here, the bells are here, let’s do this!”

People on vacation, like to do “fun things”, and are often in a hurry to pack as much fun as possible, and will do things that they’d never do at home, and be extremely rude to host nationals because that’s exactly why tourists are unpopular with “the locals”.
[/da]
I’d totally ring these bells @3:00am, should I ever so choose to visit them, by traveling more than the 1100 miles I’ve ever wandered from my place of birth.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟104,760.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I’d totally ring these bells @3:00am, should I ever so choose to visit them, by traveling more than the 1100 miles I’ve ever wandered from my place of birth.

So kind of you by being so accommodating to your own needs over others. You'll be the drop of poison in the drinking well for all.

May the locals extend the same curtesy and call the police on you. You know how great the Japanese criminal justice is? You'll love it there. 99% conviction rate. No lawyer interrogation. Hostage justice. 48 hours detention without bail that can be extended to 3 weeks. It builds character.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Plus theres no way they cleansed their hands in the right order, etc.
Exprain prease? I only have two hands. How do I cleanse one without cleansing the other at the same time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Exprain prease? I only have two hands. How do I cleanse one without cleansing the other at the same time?
The sign shows you exactly how! First, dipper in the right hand to pour the water over the left to wash and purify, then the other way round.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The sign shows you exactly how! First, dipper in the right hand to pour the water over the left to wash and purify, then the other way round.
Why?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I first learned this sequence from my friendly Fukuoka half day bike tour guide lady. I thoughtfully neglected to ask her why we're even doing this.
So you're just a mindless follower of religion. I guess if they'd told you to jump off a bridge you'd have done that too? I've lost all respect for you. ;)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you're just a mindless follower of religion. I guess if they'd told you to jump off a bridge you'd have done that too? I've lost all respect for you. ;)
They dont seem to demand a whole lot. They didnt ask that I drink someones blood, for example. I will say that when it got to the rinsing your mouth out with the shrine fountain water, I did pause for second and hoped that the water wasnt just recirculating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They dont seem to demand a whole lot. They didnt ask that I drink someones blood, for example. I will say that when it got to the rinsing your mouth out with the shrine fountain water, I did pause for second and hoped that the water wasnt just recirculating.
My goodness, I posted a winkie to show I was just playing around and you went with taking a cheap shot. It could be I know more about the weirdness of Shinto than you do. Did they ask you to hold up an Iron Phallus? I could go in to much more of the weirdness but this isn't the thread for it.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My goodness, I posted a winkie to show I was just playing around and you went with taking a cheap shot. It could be I know more about the weirdness of Shinto than you do. Did they ask you to hold up an Iron Phallus? I could go in to much more of the weirdness but this isn't the thread for it.
Ha No. Unfortunately I wasnt handed the iron phallus. I am aware that Shinto can get pretty odd. I think the diversity and locality of it is kind of appealing. We should respect the unique spirit of each spot on the earth. Not that the Japanese themselves have stuck to that. They seem kind of bi polar about it. Shinto reminding us of particular trees, creeks, even rocks, while otoh development culture throws concrete at everything.

No cheap shot intended. Just thinking how it would look from the outside perspective.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately I wasnt handed the iron phallus.
Real American men would find that fortunate. Durangodawood found it unfortunate. Duly noted. <smh>

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Real American men would find that fortunate. Durangodawood found it unfortunate. Duly noted. <smh>
I was going to say "Unfortunately I wasnt given the iron phallus." But that didnt sound quite..... right.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0