Military life & Alcohol

Dreamer88

May 19, 2013
✟15,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the alcohol thread but wanted it here to see perspectives from people interested in military in general.

I haven' been in military life for long but i have already seen a problem with general alchol abuse already. Here in Australia the chief has already addressed this and ia making continual efforts to do so which is great. But thanks to culture these days more young ones continue to abuse alcohol and even more so thanks to apparent 'norms'.

I found myself drinking x2 my norm since joining and i wouldnt be the only one. But this week took a good break once i realised what i was doing.

Im concerned that due to pressure around me to drink (im even 10 secs away from local bar which is 3 times cheaper than anywhere around!!!) that my strugge to reignite my christian life is under attack...

What can I do?:confused:

Nina1984

Apr 14, 2013
✟15,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry nobody replied to your post. I know what you are feeling. There are good Christians in the military. Reach out to your Chaplin, and find a men's group to attend. Make friends based on the values you want in yourself. If you want to be a good Christian and not drink every weekend, find someone who have the same feelings.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,056.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you are not opposed to alcohol, just over use.

Remember that. And remember that being judgmental of the drinking of others is almost sure to be counter productive. For them and in the long run likely for you. (Think of someone over judgmental, such are soon isolated and friendless, the very kind of things that leads to excessive drinking).

I don't know about your service, but I do know on some U.S. bases there is a lot to do that is really fun that does not require alcohol and in some cases actively excludes it. (I'm thinking of a Marine base on the back side of Oahu. Booze and SCUBA does not mix). Find such entertainment if possible.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟139,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For one thing 2,000 years of Christian tradition is not opposed to the consumption of alcohol. Just drink in moderation and avoid becoming dependent upon it.

It sounds like your Navy (greetings, shipmate) so I'd have to say look into the DAPA program or talk to a chaplain or Fleet and Family Support. Or give yourself a limit and do your best not to exceed it. If you have good friends than they will help you stay within your limit as well. The pressure is there, but you can fight it and you can overcome it.

The Lord gives allows challenges to enter our lives, but He does not allow anything to challenge us which we can not overcome. Remember this.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My daughter says there is lots of drinking in the Air Force where she is.

I was a Marine and lots of my peers drank. I was too busy taking college classes on my off time and doing other things to get into drinking. You can do many things during your off time. Some of them involve earning a college degree, others involve quarters and shot glasses. Some will make you more promotable and others less so. Its up to you what you choose to do with your time.

Upvote 0

Trackball

Sep 12, 2013
✟15,163.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the alcohol thread but wanted it here to see perspectives from people interested in military in general.

I haven' been in military life for long but i have already seen a problem with general alchol abuse already. Here in Australia the chief has already addressed this and ia making continual efforts to do so which is great. But thanks to culture these days more young ones continue to abuse alcohol and even more so thanks to apparent 'norms'.

I found myself drinking x2 my norm since joining and i wouldnt be the only one. But this week took a good break once i realised what i was doing.

Im concerned that due to pressure around me to drink (im even 10 secs away from local bar which is 3 times cheaper than anywhere around!!!) that my strugge to reignite my christian life is under attack...

Can I ask a question? What kind of norms do you mean?

Upvote 0

OBEY

Joel
Oct 4, 2004
North Carolina
✟1,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm in the US Air Force and there is major problem with alcohol abuse here as well, at least in my career field. I wouldn't worry too much, though, unless you become dependent on alcohol. I've had times in my life where I drink too much, but I usually know better and can stop if I choose to. Lately, I've been trying to cut down on drinking because a buddy that I work with actually went to rehab, and I'm trying to be supportive and a good example. I know it's sometimes hard in the military, but just keep going to church, reading your Bible, and maintaining Christian relationships and you'll be fine. The military has plenty of resources, like the Chaplain for instance, so you can maintain spiritual strength. Good luck in your military career. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jimbattle

Dec 31, 2013
✟15,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dreamer,

I am a full-time Christian minister with over 23 years free from drugs and alcohol. I was hooked on crack cocaine and the Lord helped me break free. With His help, I have overcome ALL addictions except the one the Bible says is good. I have "addicted [myself] to the ministry of the saints", (See 1Corinthians 16:15 KJV). In other words, I have devoted myself to helping Christians like you.

However, the first thing you need to do is be sure that you believe the true gospel message. There are false gospels out there and you may have heard and believed one of them (See Galatians 1:8 KJV).

OR you may have heard the true gospel and misunderstood it. Either way, you would not have the power to resist every temptation because you would not really be saved. So first be very sure that this is not the case and that you truly have the Spirit of Christ in you.

Please understand that I am NOT trying to offend you by questioning your salvation. I just want you to be absolutely sure that you have truly been born again. Once you are sure, I can help you resist every temptation to drink by teaching you what the Bible says about your situation and how to deal with it and by praying for you daily.

So go to my blog and read "The True Gospel" and leave a comment and we can go from there. If for some reason you can't leave a comment, email me at jbtentmaker@gmail.com. Here is a link to my blog: The True Gospel!.

Truly Concerned,
Jim Battle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The military has always had this ridiculous and archaic double-standard about alcohol vs drugs. You're a flaming lush? np! That's a long-standing tradition so by golly we'll keep slapping you on the wrist, even if you get a DUI/DWI. But you do drugs ONE time - no matter the circumstances - and you're outta here.

Brilliant.

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The military has always had this ridiculous and archaic double-standard about alcohol vs drugs. You're a flaming lush? np! That's a long-standing tradition so by golly we'll keep slapping you on the wrist, even if you get a DUI/DWI. But you do drugs ONE time - no matter the circumstances - and you're outta here.

Brilliant.

The army I was in did not allow for either.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was in the same situation in the RAAF. I found out the best thing to do was to keep it simple. I did not want to drink at all (I like it too much and I am an alcoholic). I just simply say, "No thanks, I don't drink!" and everybody accepted that and left me alone. I don't care if others drink. But I do not drink anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums