MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if I am misspelling this. Is this only practiced by those of the Jewish faith? That's all. Just curious.

To the best of my knowledge it is.

Reactions: Khalliqa
Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What specifically do you like about it?

From what I remember the part about separating yourself for spiritual cleansing and renewal and then returning to the husband..

Obviously spirituality has no meaning to me now.. but what struck me was the principal of consistently renewing one's mind.. getting in touch with one's self, purpose and goals.. and then returning to the husband refreshed.. during a time that's usually quite annoying and trying..

I like fasting so it reminded me of the fasting principles and the idea of returning to the husband seemed like something that could create (positive) tension resulting in a longing to see one another every month.

The way women's bodies are usually handled is if it's a cancer or something that needs to be degraded or feared.. I could be wrong because I'm going off memory.

I was thinking of adopting the principles but wanted to delve into how much of it is mired in spirituality and the term might be offensive if used by non jews etc..

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
From what I remember the part about separating yourself for spiritual cleansing and renewal and then returning to the husband..

Obviously spirituality has no meaning to me now.. but what struck me was the principal of consistently renewing one's mind.. getting in touch with one's self, purpose and goals.. and then returning to the husband refreshed.. during a time that's usually quite annoying and trying..

I like fasting so it reminded me of the fasting principles and the idea of returning to the husband seemed like something that could create (positive) tension resulting in a longing to see one another every month.

The way women's bodies are usually handled is if it's a cancer or something that needs to be degraded or feared.. I could be wrong because I'm going off memory.

I was thinking of adopting the principles but wanted to delve into how much of it is mired in spirituality and the term might be offensive if used by non jews etc..

Oh, that’s cool. I don’t think most Jews would be against the idea of others adapting the mikvah. Some men also use it to ritually purify themselves if they are scribes or for high holidays. They can also be used to for dishes. I have spent many hours dipping new dishes. Oy!

• Informative
Reactions: Khalliqa
Upvote 0

AnnekeCr

Aug 1, 2012
Melbourne
✟8,309.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess the Christian baptism is an extension on the Mikvah practice. (wiki)

Although, that's a once off dedication, the Christian faith encourages the 'renewal of the mind' (Romans 12:2) and abstaining every now and then. (1 Cor 7:5)

Doing it as a regular physical and spiritual experience though would be amazing. :blush:

Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if I am misspelling this. Is this only practiced by those of the Jewish faith? That's all. Just curious.

Shalom and good afternoon Khalliqa, actually Messianic believers in Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus the Messiah) also practice Mikvah which can also be spelled Miqvah, Mikveh, Miqveh. I am a born-from-above Torah observant Israelite believer in Yeshua HaMashaiach. As such, I am Messianic, and I have been Mikvahed along with my wife. Oh and by the way, as you may already know, Mikvah is a Hebrew form of water immersion, and is the way Yeshua was immersed in the Jorden River by Yochannan the Immerser.

Baruch Hashem Adonai,
David

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am a born-from-above Torah observant Israelite
Which means what? That's a confusing label.
As such, I am Messianic, and I have been Mikvahed along with my wife.
I don't want to be offensive, but I'm curious because I have seen other Messianics do the same thing.
Why is a noun turned into a verb?

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I don't want to be offensive, but I'm curious because I have seen other Messianics do the same thing.

You have never Mikvahed a laptop or dishes? My wife and daughter go Mikvahing at least once a month. My wife was even one of the Mikvahers in Seattle back in the day. :D:p

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You have never Mikvahed a laptop or dishes? My wife and daughter go Mikvahing at least once a month. My wife was even one of the Mikvahers in Seattle back in the day. :D:p
LOL! I've been to the mikvah many times, but I have never "mikvahed".
That terminology is only something I see amongst Messianics and I am wondering why, and how it came to be.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
LOL! I've been to the mikvah many times, but I have never "mikvahed".
That terminology is only something I see amongst Messianics and I am wondering why, and how it came to be.

I think it is because of the word “Baptism”. A Person is “Baptized” in a “Baptismal”. Because they are connecting the Mikvah with the Baptismal, it may be an assumption that there is a corresponding Hebrew word for the action.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is because of the word “Baptism”. A Person is “Baptized” in a “Baptismal”. Because they are connecting the Mikvah with the Baptismal, it may be an assumption that there is a corresponding Hebrew word for the action.
Possibly......but in that case wouldn't they be saying they were "baptismaled"? :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It's what happens when they are involved in pretty much Gentile only groups, or groups where the only Jews were raised secular, and they never have the opportunity to learn the culture from formerly Rabbinical Jews. They just end up making a lot of mistakes. I cringe when I hear people mispronounce Shekinah.

I've know Messianic Jews, including Messianic Rabbis, who have gone to regular synagogues in order to understand Judaism. A long time ago I had an MJ friend and she and I would walk over to Young Israel every Shabbat for their lessons in Talmud.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It's what happens when they are involved in pretty much Gentile only groups, or groups where the only Jews were raised secular, and they never have the opportunity to learn the culture from formerly Rabbinical Jews. They just end up making a lot of mistakes. I cringe when I hear people mispronounce Shekinah.

I've know Messianic Jews, including Messianic Rabbis, who have gone to regular synagogues in order to understand Judaism. A long time ago I had an MJ friend and she and I would walk over to Young Israel every Shabbat for their lessons in Talmud.
A Messianic rabbi would have to go to learn about Judaism?
That speaks volumes.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
A Messianic rabbi would have to go to learn about Judaism?
That speaks volumes.
Sure. If they grew up a secular Jew, they would have to. Especially in the past. And they need to join with Israel in prayers and learning, something they don't always get in their own synagogues. I knew a MJ Rabbi who once a month went to a regular synagogue. Now, TODAY, there are MJ Yeshivas, so that perspective Rabbis get an education in Hebrew, Torah, and to some degree the Talmud and *specifically* MJ issues, so that they don't have to settle for a Christian seminary.

For example, the UMJC has Netzer David Yeshiva, the gem of the MJ world, which offers a MA in Jewish studies, and a MA in Rabbinic Studies in order to prepare for ordination. IAMCS has the IAMCS Yeshiva, and offers Certification. Besides the two Messianic Judaism denominations, there are little Yeshivas for various Messianic groups, mostly with online courses, because Messianic congregations are spread over the States. There are great articles suggesting that these Yeshivas pattern the teaching after Talmud study and the like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidbenephraim

Jul 25, 2012
✟10,334.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Biblically speaking, there are only two groups of people. Israelites and non-Israelites. Israelites are often called Gentiles. From the very beginning of the Israelite Nation (I am speaking of after the Exodus from ancient Egyptian slavery), Yah has always allowed Gentiles to be grafted-in to Israel. Those grafted-in Gentiles are Israelites identified by the Hebrew word Ger or its plural Gerim. Just because a person is born an Israelite through biological childbirth that doesn't automatically mean that he or she is in a covenant relationship with Yahweh Elohim. The Bible was originally written from an Hebraic point of view and is therefore a Hebrew book written by Hebrew people, for Hebrew people, and to Hebrew people with a Hebrew mindset. From the point the Hebrew point of view to be in a covenant relationship with Yahweh Elohim is to be Torah Observant and to be Torah is to be in a covenant relationship with Yahweh Elohim.

Now in Yochannan chapter 3 Yeshua told Nicodemus that a man must be born again. The words born again are from the King Jaime Bible. Those words were used by the KJV translators to translate a Greek word that actually means "to be born-from-above". Rav Ya'acob wrote that every good gift and every perfect comes from above from the Father of lights. Rav Shaul wrote that salvation is the gift of Yah. I would say salvation is the good gift and the perfect gift that come from above from the Father of lights which we all need.

So I am born-from-above because I accepted Yah's free gift of salvation through Yeshua and receiving Him as my Messiah and Savior. I am Torah Observant because I walk in the Commandments of Yah given to Moshe at Mt. Sinai. I am an Israelite because I was a Gentile through biological childbirth who has been grafted-in to the Commonwealth of Israel by the blood of Yeshua. The simpliest way for me to say all of that is to say:

I am a born-from-above Torah Observant Israelite believer in Yeshua HaMashiach, and I am filled with Ruach HaQodesh.

I English we have words that are nouns which can become verbs. Just a few examples would the following: Box Boxing, Hunt Hunting, Board Boarding, etc. I think it works the same in Hebrew. Nouns can become verbs. But don't quote me on that because I am not for sure on that.

Shalom,
David

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I English we have words that are nouns which can become verbs. Just a few examples would the following: Box Boxing, Hunt Hunting, Board Boarding, etc. I think it works the same in Hebrew. Nouns can become verbs. But don't quote me on that because I am not for sure on that.

Shalom,
David
I've never heard anyone except Messianics use mikveh as a verb. It sounds very strange.

Upvote 0