Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know how this is going to be received but I am prayerfully considering moving my membership to a LCMS congregation...Theologically speaking I am much more in line with LCMS thought than I ever was with ELCA thought...This is a hard decision, but it's one I feel I need to address...I do have some questions...well not really some...one...I belong to a Masonic Lodge, but to say that I'm inactive is something of an understatement...I never reaaly considered Masonry and Christianity ( not Lutheranism, but Christianity) at odds, but I am now questioning that...the thing is that I can't really quit...i have Lifetime (endowed) memberships in everything so my name will never really be taken off of the rolls...so I just don't know what to do...I want to fully be a member of the LCMS, but my affiliation with a group that I don't really participate with might keep me from it...advise would help...a lot...pray for me a poor, fat, sinner

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
I don't know how this is going to be received but I am prayerfully considering moving my membership to a LCMS congregation...Theologically speaking I am much more in line with LCMS thought than I ever was with ELCA thought...This is a hard decision, but it's one I feel I need to address...I do have some questions...well not really some...one...I belong to a Masonic Lodge, but to say that I'm inactive is something of an understatement...I never reaaly considered Masonry and Christianity ( not Lutheranism, but Christianity) at odds, but I am now questioning that...the thing is that I can't really quit...i have Lifetime (endowed) memberships in everything so my name will never really be taken off of the rolls...so I just don't know what to do...I want to fully be a member of the LCMS, but my affiliation with a group that I don't really participate with might keep me from it...advise would help...a lot...pray for me a poor, fat, sinner

Ken,

You might find this link Helpful.

It will give you a concise synodical standing on Freemasonry and lodges of it's kind.

I am asking people on Lutherquest about this. I will share some of their answers with you when I receive them.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it's great that you're questioning the Masons. Don't think that you cannot quit even with your name on a lifetime membership. It gives you a position of being able to answer to those who question you in the future, so now is the time to start preparing your answers to them :) Don't think of it as a hindrance, but as an opportunity further down the line.

Upvote 0

LutherNut

Barefoot Bible Reader
Aug 15, 2005
✟2,254.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
well...i have an appointment to talk with a Pastor at Shepherd of the hills Lutheran here in San Antonio...we'll see what he says...

That is absolutely the best thing you can do!
God bless, and our prayers are with you.

Jay:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
well...i have an appointment to talk with a Pastor at Shepherd of the hills Lutheran here in San Antonio...we'll see what he says...

Ken,

Please let us know how the meeting goes. One of the people on Luther quest put a copy of a letter that resigns you from the Masons. You might want to read it if you haven't already.

Scott

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
RedneckLutheran said:

Good Luck! Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a few hours west of San Antonio and the one Lutheran Church we have here is Missouri Synod, so it's all I know.

Let us know how it goes, OK. :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jim47 said:
Great news Ken. I wouldn't worry about the masons. God will provide the answer.

I hope HE provides it soon...I'm more than a little torn on this one...My wife has told me that she'll be behind me nomatter what...

and Scott...I have been keeping up with that thread on LutherQuest (Thank you very much for that BTW)...It's just so much more involved than anyone can imagine...I'm not worried about threats or job recriminations or the like...quite honestly Masons just don't do that sort of thing anymore...but they did say that Masonry isn't suppose to take the place of your Church so maybe that's the answer there...

just thinking out loud...don't mind me...i'm just being confused...

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
I hope HE provides it soon...I'm more than a little torn on this one...My wife has told me that she'll be behind me nomatter what...

and Scott...I have been keeping up with that thread on LutherQuest (Thank you very much for that BTW)...It's just so much more involved than anyone can imagine...I'm not worried about threats or job recriminations or the like...quite honestly Masons just don't do that sort of thing anymore...but they did say that Masonry isn't suppose to take the place of your Church so maybe that's the answer there...

just thinking out loud...don't mind me...i'm just being confused...

Anything I can do to help. If we didn't think aloud every now and again, no one would post on CF.

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SPALATIN said:
Anything I can do to help. If we didn't think aloud every now and again, no one would post on CF.

I appreciate it...I appreciate everything that everyone has already done...the Masonry thing is one thing...I don't participate anymore anyway...I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up on the ELCA, yet...My old Church is falling apart...The Congregational President and his family have left the Church...the Pastor is leaving the Church...These were two of my best friends and they have given up on the ELCA...I read the stuff that Dan posted and he makes A LOT of sence...I'm just not sure yet...maybe I'm just using Masonry as a crutch...maybe I'm just not ready, yet...but I've got to be honest...the battle is making me very tired...

Is it possible to love CHRIST and not be involved in the politics?...or are these more than political issues?...It can be argued that most of the problems I'm having are doctrinal issues, and not political issues...heck ...I thinking I'm thinking Missouri already...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedneckAnglican

Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ctay said:
Have you visited a LCMS church already?

several...you want the whole list or just the top ten?...:D

The one I have the appointment at also has a Lutheran school attached that we want to send our son to...really good school...and within our budget!...it's only 10 minutes from our house...the ELCaAChurch we are going to is 30 minutes with no traffic (which doesn't happen in San Antonio much)...

Upvote 0

LutherNut

Barefoot Bible Reader
Aug 15, 2005
✟2,254.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RedneckLutheran said:
Is it possible to love CHRIST and not be involved in the politics?...or are these more than political issues?...It can be argued that most of the problems I'm having are doctrinal issues, and not political issues...heck ...I thinking I'm thinking Missouri already...

It's the politics that has led to the downfall of the ELCA. Their politics has led to their doctrinal strife and their outright rejection of the Word of God on so many issues.

Yes, you can love Christ and not be involved in the politics, but when the politics influences the doctrine that you are asked to confess, then one must put the Word of God above all.

This is why the LCMS rejects the Masons and other lodges. They (Masons) require you to make a confession that is against the Word of God.

Look to see where your heart truly lies. Is it in line with God's will as revealed to us in His Word? Apart from that, nothing else matters.

We all continue to pray for you.

Jay:prayer:

Upvote 0

mmckeen

Mar 22, 2006
✟15,129.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm I so glad I found this forum. I have also been having a discussion with my family about our ELCA church. I have exchanged several emails with both of our Pastors and the general positions they are taking are:
Jesus is a Son of God but certainly not THE Son of God.
Everyone is saved, regardless of what you believe.
It's all "about deeds not creeds"
The Bible is a nice book to read but it is open to individual interpretation (and a lot of it is in error).
I am called intolerate because I trust the Bible as TRUE, that Jesus is my ONE True Savior, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him.
My son was baptised in a LCMS church we actually started in St. Louis. I was raised LCA. Being Lutheran is what I am but defending the Truth is ultimately driving my conviction. I am so sad to see so many people in my church believing all of this. Even this Sunday they encouraged us to go hear a professor from UNC talk about the "legends" of the Bible. The speaker wrote the book "Misquoting Jesus". This is probably what will finally push me out of the ELCA.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
mmckeen
We must all pray that those allowing the Church to move away from the Scriptures and our Doctrine. :prayer:

These things you have listed as those statements of believe are not of Christ and it is so sad to see the ELCA going in the direction it is, but it seems to be going the way of Liberal society which saddens me deeply.:(

My pastor said even tonight that he feared one day in the near future the Scripture itself may not be spoken freely in this country. What is America coming to? Are we to become the very type of Christian scorning country that we were formed to escape from? As liberals demand more freedom from Christ's presence in our society, we Christians lose more of our rights to express our beliefs. This is indeed worrisome.

The only positive that I can imagine all this is that as the world turns it back on God, the time of His return draws nearer. In this, we Christians can find peace and joy.

I will pray for you and your church and that God leads you to a congregation firmly rooted in the Word of God. Being raised in the Missouri Synod, I cannot empathise with you, but being removed from God for too many years, I can tell you of the joy of being part of a family that delights in the Word again.

Peace in your heart and welcome.
:hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.