France
✟1,473.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Lifted out of a private debate between myself and Aman777,

In case your unaware Barry was soundly refuted on these ERV arguments:

ERVs put chimp/human common ancestry beyond any reasonable doubt.

He is fond of saying that all the ERVs in humans and chimpanzees are identical which is impossible. Only 29% of the protein coding genes are identical, there's no way ERVs would be. They are supposedly the result of germline invasions and make up 8% of the human genome which is rather hard to accept.

One ERV that has been studied extensively is HIV. It is profoundly dangerous to the human immune system, just imagine how dangerous it would be in the germline cells (early embryo). They would be devastating but we are supposed to believe that 8% of the human genome is the result of germline invasions.

Evolutionists are just ridiculous when it comes to these homology arguments.

Grace and peace,
Mark
I'd be interested to learn what you imagine the refutation to be. It's easy to make claims like this, but meaningless, and useless, unless you can back them up.

Nowhere have I said that "all the ERVs in humans and chimpanzees are identical". I would ask you please not to lie about what I say.

The truth is that the vast majority of the approximately 200,000 ERV sequences found in humans are also found in corresponding DNA loci in chimps.

If ERVs are not the inherited remnants of germline integrations, what are they? Your alternative explanation has to account for all the evidence that leads virologists to conclude that they are retroviral in origin. This includes the presence of retroviral genes such as reverse transcriptase and integrase, LTRs, repetition of host DNA either side of the integration site and the viral codon bias. Same data, different interpretation. What's your interpretation? Be sure to explain all the data.

As others have pointed out, HIV is not an ERV. To my knowledge, there are no cases of HIV endogenizing. Nevertheless, HIV is survivable to and beyond reproduction. In a population decimated by a disease, those who are resistant soon reproduce up to match the available resources. And remember, reverse transcription, unlike transcription, is a very error-prone process. It is why HIV evolves so quickly. In many cases, the integrated provirus is non-functional. In general, viruses eventually either become extinct, because they have wiped out the creatures they infect, or they become "tamed" to the degree that allows the host species and the virus to persist. I think your incredulity is feigned, and in any case, does not amount to a reasonable objection in the absence of any real alternative explanations.

BTW, Mark, are you associated with those sniveling little weasels at "Evolution Fairytale"? They suspended me for a week several weeks ago, and have not reinstated me. They do not even acknowledge, let alone reply to my emails.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know what Barry said because he is still on my ignore list but the debate was a one of the easiest I ever had. If he had bothered to read up on ERVs he would have realized that begging the question of homology isn't a scientific argument, it's not even an argument, it's a fallacy.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's so cute the way you think 3 or 4 months is long enough for everyone on the forum to develop amnesia.

130783d1371719995-interspersed-20repeats.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0