Dec 8, 2007
✟835,128.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My congregation doesn't reserve the sacrament but re consecrates each time they visit a shut in.
Re-consecration is an issue; that is like rebaptizing a person who had already been validly baptized. I know many Churches have done and some still do this. Most of the LCC Parishes I am aware of consume the remaining consecrated host and wine at the end of the service.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,128.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My congregation just recently dropped down to one service. Within a week they were suggesting that maybe I should have some communion assistants. Thus far I have been able to resist. It really doesn't take that much longer for me to serve everyone myself than what it does if they give me a chalicist and I hate having people kind of milling around while I'm trying to go back and forth to the altar and get more bread or wine. We do have a rather long rail and most people kneel. I generally end up getting everyone served in 3 tables.

They had the chancel so cluttered up at Christmas with their enormous tree and dozens of poinsettias that I could barely get around the altar! It would have been nearly impossible to not get in each other's way if I had a chalicist at that time.
Poinsettias got out of hand last year at a local Church; It sees that there was a competition to see who could buy the biggest and the most. One person suggested that we needed to move the Lectern, font and Paschal Candle to accommodate all the flowers... so they were visible on YouTube.
This suggestion was met by a stern rebuke and sound catechesis on the Pastor's part. :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟485,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Poinsettias got out of hand last year at a local Church; It sees that there was a competition to see who could buy the biggest and the most. One person suggested that we needed to move the Lectern, font and Paschal Candle to accommodate all the flowers... so they were visible on YouTube.
This suggestion was met by a stern rebuke and sound catechesis on the Pastor's part. :)

Good for your pastor. I would also lament at the amount of additional vestments, paraments and other durable church furnishings that could have potentially been purchased with the money spent on poinsettias. Even in Southern California where they grow naturally, I feel that they are somewhat overused at Christmas services, to the detriment of Christmas trees, garlands and other more traditional European decorations.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟485,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Eastern and Western Churches have different practices regard many things including the Eucharist. There are procedures that are followed for the proper purification of altar linens. Lots of info on line. White wine makes it easier to perform with good results.

Where in Scripture does it state that only "RED" wine is acceptable? That sounds a little legalistic; kind of like a protestants that practice believers baptism stating one can only be baptised but full immersion; sprinkling won't do... yet they deny baptism as a salvaic means of grace.

What about Bread? We do know that our Lord was celebrating the Passover in the upper room; we also know that only unleavened bread would be used at that meal. This is the also, as you know, the practice of most "western" Christians. Yet the orthodox use leavened bread; yet we western Christians not only accept the validity of the Eucharist in Eastern Churches, but don't take issue with the use of leavened bread.

Likewise, like Baptism, the mode of reception is only important regarding themings being done respectfully and in good order.

What really matters most is summed up in Luther's Small Catechism and regarding our discussion here, please see the highlighted portion below:

Part VI

Sacrament of the Altar

As the head of the family should teach it in a simple way to his household.
01 What is the Sacrament of the Altar?
02 Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, under the bread and wine, for us Christians to eat and to drink, instituted by Christ Himself.
03 Where is this written?
04 Answer: The holy Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and St. Paul, write thus:
Our Lord Jesus Christ, the same night in which He was betrayed, took bread: and when He had given thanks, He brake it, and gave it to His disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is My body, which is given for you. This do in remembrance of Me.
After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Take, drink ye all of it. This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you for the remission of sins. This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me.
05 What is the benefit of such eating and drinking?
06 Answer: That is shown us in these words: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins; namely, that in the Sacrament forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation are given us through these words. For where there is forgiveness of sins, there is also life and salvation.
07 How can bodily eating and drinking do such great things?
08 Answer: It is not the eating and drinking, indeed, that does them, but the words which stand here, namely: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins. Which words are, beside the bodily eating and drinking, as the chief thing in the Sacrament; and he that believes these words has what they say and express, namely, the forgiveness of sins
09 Who, then, receives such Sacrament worthily?
10 Answer: Fasting and bodily preparation is, indeed, a fine outward training; but he is truly worthy and well prepared who has faith in these words: Given, and shed for you, for the remission of sins.
But he that does not believe these words, or doubts, is unworthy and unfit; for the words For you require altogether believing hearts.

Forgive me, I thought we were in traditional theology, but I have sent you a PM explaining my position.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟573,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Easter lilies were almost as bad. I couldn't get up on the top step in front of the altar yesterday. I suspect I do rather more of the service from that position than most of the previous pastors. But it was my last Sunday at that congregation for the time being so I let it go.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,128.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Easter lilies were almost as bad. I couldn't get up on the top step in front of the altar yesterday. I suspect I do rather more of the service from that position than most of the previous pastors. But it was my last Sunday at that congregation for the time being so I let it go.
The poor guy that follows you will need to deal with twice as many next Easter.

Look on the bright side; they could all be woke, and you could have ended up with 40 of these decorating, hopping and "rasinizing" the chancel:
1711998124033.png

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟753,508.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Re-consecration is an issue; that is like rebaptizing a person who had already been validly baptized. I know many Churches have done and some still do this. Most of the LCC Parishes I am aware of consume the remaining consecrated host and wine at the end of the service.
I was told the Spirit recedes from the host.

Do you know where Pieper deals with this issue?

Upvote 0

CurtUtter

Mar 18, 2024
Towanda
✟2,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
At my LCMS English District congregation we all kneel at the altar rail, some take it in the hand others on the tongue. I took communion on the tongue last Sunday for the first time and it was a different experience. When you look at the history taking it in the hand seems to be the North American practice.
I take it on the tongue and from the chalice. Keeps my focus on Jesus administering the Lord's Supper to me instead of an act that I do. My old adam always wants to to control thing so this is a best method of refusing those wants.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,128.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was told the Spirit recedes from the host.

Do you know where Pieper deals with this issue?
Not sure on Pieper. I am sure that our Lord did say "take and eat" "take and drink" "all of it".therefore, we consume "all of it" after the rest of the congregation has communed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums