Pennsylvania, USA
✟766,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Lord gave us a sort of template to understand the Holy Bible. He told us to treat each other respectfully as we would want to be treated ( the golden rule per Matthew 7:12, Matthew 7:1-12. He said that, “this is the law and prophets.” Later, the Lord answered the question as to the greatest commandment in the law which is love of God & neighbor and that the law & prophets hang on these commandments ( Matthew 22:36-40).

I think these are most implicit in the Gospels of John and Mark but it is in Luke we see the golden rule & greatest commandments articulated very close to Matthew. In Luke we see greater explanation of the golden rule ( Luke 6:31 per Luke 27-42). Meanwhile, the greatest commandments of love of God & neighbor are illuminated in the example of the Good Samaritan ( Luke 10:25-37).

While Matthew is more identified with the Jews and Luke with the Gentiles, they are most in agreement ( or synoptic, i believe). Interestingly, it is Luke where the Lord affirms the Jewish foundation of His fulfillment in the law, prophets & psalms as testimony in Luke 24:44-49.

The early church faithfully understood and articulated the Gospel and preaching of the apostles. A major witness to this is found in the Didache in which we see the commandments and sermons of the Mount ( per Matthew) and plain ( per Luke) integrated. These are also the basic foundation for any sound prayer books.

Didache

St. Maximos the Confessor ( 7th century) testified, “The law of the Old Testament through practical philosophy cleanses human nature of all defilement. The law of the New Testament, through initiation into the mysteries of contemplation, raises the intellect by means of spiritual knowledge from the sight of material things to the vision of spiritual realities.”
This is from the Philokalia vol.2 ( 1st Century (grouping in sets of 100) of various texts) #67. Perhaps the Transfiguration ( Mark 9 etc.) is a major example of what St. Maximos refers to.

Upvote 0