Lost for words

cb

Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
✟15,318.00
Faith
Taoist
"Plus, on average women's brains are 20% smaller than men's brains. And I am pretty certain you don't want to go there."

good call ;)
btw, are you familair with the site http://www.tektonics.org ?
you might find it interesting...i think that they make a real effort to engage in meaningful debates with non christians.

Upvote 0

DrLao

Jun 19, 2002
KCK
Visit site
✟756.00
Faith
Atheist
Secular humanism pretty much denies all supernatural phenomenon, not just organized religion. The Soviets were pretty high on all sorts of pseudoscientific things (psychics, UFO's, etc.). Another major tenet of secular humanism is the free exchange of ideas, which was certainly not possible in a totalitarian state like the Soviet Union.

Upvote 0

cb

Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
✟15,318.00
Faith
Taoist
"Hi, CB!

Certainly we've all met a lot of non-believers. Whether or not they are highly intelligent depends on your measurement. Is it in terms of academic performance? Life accomplishments?"

hi :)

i think it is just in terms of the amount of information someone knows, the speed that they can process it, memory capabilities, retention of information, etc etc etc. by intelligent, i am not saying "wise", i am saying "intelligent".

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You're absolutely right, Dr. Lao. However, I did live with a few Russians who were card-carrying Communists. They seemed reasonably enlighted if not exceptionally gifted in their studies. They just never had any negative comments about the Soviet state when it existed. So maybe open debate was possible on many academic fronts.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, CB, I don't know any studies focusing on the academic performance of believers and non-believers. I'm sure the results would cause stormy discussions. So your guess is as good as mine.

I lived with a Philosophy student who won lots of awards from his faculty. He was very anti-religion during the first half of the year. But by the time he graduated with no prospects of employment and no support from the school to continue his studies, he seemed far less sure of his superiority. He seemed pretty sad about a lot of things actually.

I'm sure plenty of smart people believe in God, CB.

Upvote 0