Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Here's an interesting article that I found on www.meta-religion.com

Lost Books of the Old Testament?

Old Testament Scripture mentions books that are completely unknown to us today. Moses wrote: "Wherefore it is said in the book of the Wars of the Lord. What he did in the Red Sea, and the brooks of Arnon." (Num. 21:14)

Twice in Scripture is mentioned The book of Jasher; first in Joshua 10:13 : "And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." Then approximately 350 years later, the book of Jasher is mentioned when David was becoming king, in 2 Sam. 1:17-18 "and David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son: (also he bade them teach the children of Judah the use of the bow: behold, it is written in the book of Jasher.)"

Chronicles 27:24 mentions "Chronicles of King David". . . apparently a set of records kept by the king -- but has not surfaced to historians; also remaining unknown to historians is three record books: 1 Chron. 29:29 . . ."now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the seer, and in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of Gad the seer,".

The book of the Acts of Solomonhas also disappeared from history. Mentioned in 1 Kings 11:41: "And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon?"

2 Chron. 12:15 mentions Shemaiah the prophet, and Iddo the seer who kept records concerning Solomon's son Rehoboam. Also in 2 Chron. 9:29, Nathan the prophet, and the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and the visions of Iddo the seer . . . all lost records to historians.

Also lost are the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel. After Solomon, 18 kings set upon the throne . . . 1 Kings 14:19 mentions them: "and the rest of the acts of Jeroboam, how they warred, and how he reigned, behold, they are written in the book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel."

One other lost book of the Old Testament tells of the Kings of Media and Persia: (Esther 10:1-2) "And the King Ahasuerus laid a tribute upon the land, and upon the isles of the sea, and all the acts of his power and his might, and the declaration of the greatness of Mordecai, whereunto the king advanced him. Are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Media and Persia?"

King James Version

-------------------------

The Apocrypha are not lost books . . . they are writings that were kept from the general public and not included in the New Testament. The literature is voluminous, the greater part of it written later than the New Testament period. For additional study on this item, Hastings Dictionary of the Bible carries much information on the Apocryphal New Testament.

The Apocrypha includes the following: Prayer of Azariah, Baruch, Bel and the dragon, Ecclesiasticus, 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Additions to Esther, Letter of Jeremiah, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Prayer of Manasseh, Sirach, Song of the Three Young Men, Susanna, Tobit, and Wisdom of Solomon.

Apocrypha list taken from The New Oxford Annotated Bible, which also includes the text for each.

Well what do you think?

StAnselm

Theologue
Aug 17, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟16,804.00
Faith
Protestant
Calling them, "Lost Books of the Bible" is misleading. Because they were never part of the Bible. There is no reason to think that St Paul's shopping list would be part of Scripture.

These books referred to are the official records. The writer of Chronicles, for example, used these historical sources. But that doesn't mean they were inspired...

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is very possible for many more scrolls and tablets to surface. (Perhaps scrolls were hidden to preserve them. Israel has been in a lot of termoil over the years).

It took a boy throwing stones around some caves to find hidden scrolls in the Quamram (sorry if I got that wrong-Dead Sea Scrolls).

It would be wonderful to find more things written by the apostles. More things from early times, like if Adam wrote something. Books by Noah, or Abraham. (Perhaps if they ever find the Ark, scrolls could be found there. Noah may have wanted to preserve the word of God on the Ark.)

A really cool find would be the ark of the covenant. Inside of the ark there is the ten utterances of God. How awesome would that be, God himself wrote on those stones. (Personally I have always felt it was hidden away in Israel somewhere. Perhaps in a hidden cave).

Upvote 0

StAnselm

Theologue
Aug 17, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟16,804.00
Faith
Protestant
Treasurer said:
More things from early times, like if Adam wrote something. Books by Noah, or Abraham.

The thing is, how on earth would we know they were written by them?

A really cool find would be the ark of the covenant. Inside of the ark there is the ten utterances of God.

Yeah, they have found it. Didn't you see the movie?? :p

Upvote 0

Grl4Christ987

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy...on me
Nov 5, 2004
Physically, PA, spiritually, China
Visit site
✟9,338.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
DailyBlessings said:
And how would we read something that was written by Adam? I'm not thinking he would've spoken Hebrew.

Hmm, now you've got me wondering WHAT language Adam did speak...gosh this is gonna annoy me.

Upvote 0