Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The following is a short list of the various different groups with in the SDA church.

Traditionalist or Historic SDA- Main line + LGT, Character Perfection, post-fall nature of Christ, God head
Conservative SDA or Mainline SDA - EGW prophet, 2300 days 1844, IJ, visible 2nd coming, Sunday Mark of Beast. Historicism + Healthy life style.
Feast keepers - Mainline + Jewish feasts, some conservative some traditionalist
Evangelicals - Mainline Protestant + Sabbath + Sunday Mark of Beast + Historicism + Lifestyle + Biblical Theology - EGW
Liberals - minus health - jewelery - biblical authority
Progressives - Lgbtq, sub culture of SDA church.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The following is a short list of the various different groups with in the SDA church.

Traditionalist or Historic SDA- Main line + LGT, Character Perfection, post-fall nature of Christ, God head
Conservative SDA or Mainline SDA - EGW prophet, 2300 days 1844, IJ, visible 2nd coming, Sunday Mark of Beast. Historicism + Healthy life style.
Feast keepers - Mainline + Jewish feasts, some conservative some traditionalist
Evangelicals - Mainline Protestant + Sabbath + Sunday Mark of Beast + Historicism + Lifestyle + Biblical Theology - EGW
Liberals - minus health - jewelery - biblical authority
Progressives - Lgbtq, sub culture of SDA church.
Most of the groups you listed are not SDAs at heart as they demand the church change it's doctrines to accommodate their lifestyles. Their lifestyles are anything but Biblical but that doesn't matter to them. It does matter to SDAs as God has made plain His thoughts on the matter. Being in rebellion against God is not compatible with Christianity in the least.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most of the groups you listed are not SDAs at heart as they demand the church change it's doctrines to accommodate their lifestyles. Their lifestyles are anything but Biblical but that doesn't matter to them. It does matter to SDAs as God has made plain His thoughts on the matter. Being in rebellion against God is not compatible with Christianity in the least.
What exactly are you talking about, the progressive are the only ones I would agree with you on this. The Feast keepers will tell you, that you are not strict enough and more biblical then you practice. Evanglical are simply have theological differences.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What exactly are you talking about, the progressive are the only ones I would agree with you on this. The Feast keepers will tell you, that you are not strict enough and more biblical then you practice. Evanglical are simply have theological differences.
You just named the progressives as part of the the SDA church. I, and the vast majority of SDAs, am/are completely at odds with that. 1Corinthians 5.

Those who ignore Ellen White are also not SDAs. They do not accept a lot of SDA theology and want to force those changes upon the church. Don't tell me they don't. I've spent decades watching these controversies.

Every denomination has the right to it's own beliefs and those who want to force change upon the church, say women's ordination for example, need to join a denomination that they agree with rather than try to force what they want on those who accept the church's beliefs to accept. If I did not agree with the 28 fundamental beliefs I would never have wanted to be a member of the church. I would have gone elsewhere. This idea of taking the name and refusing to accept the Biblical doctrines is ultimately rebellion against God, and not just against the church. That was a lesson taught to us by the life of Jesus.

The same goes for those who desire to push their political agenda on the church by changing the meaning of the English language. Marxism is anything but friendly to Christianity. It's adherents have destroyed the Biblical foundations of every denomination they have overwhelmed. This is a well known tactic of marxists by everyone who pays any attention at all.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i listed progressive, because they are a new group in the church. you are correct that most SDA are at odds with that, but it does on mean they do not exist. It is disturbing because they are just being allowed to develop. I was out at an SDA school on the west coast of the U.S. I spent almost a year with them and they openly advocate for homosexual person being included in the church as normal members. it is odd and bizzare to say the least and it is not the norm, but it does exist. Kinship connection, is a real thing and ministers to Gays that grew up in the SDA church and are advocating for change in the church. that does exist. to say other wise is not dealing with reality.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟380,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gary, view represents 1 point of view. It does not represent all points of view. As a person who grew up in the SDA church I feel no obligation to leave, because the church is in error. The church is just as much my church as it is your Church. I feel no obligation to leave to satisfy your ego. The SDA church as taught us to follow God and as far as life style and practice I believe they are spot on, but as far as teaching the are about 60%. I know it is hard for a guy like you who was taught that you were right on every thing to believe that he could ever be wrong on anything but you are. It is not the fault of the people who were raised in the church and were deceived by the administration. They are dealing with it the best way they know how. the church is not just a belief system it is a lifestyle and culture and it is unfair and not right that people like you because of your blind devotion to some human beings, refuse to obey God and make the adjustment that God requires. Your ignorance is not an excuse for your rebellion. God commands that we test every thing hold fast to what is true. You say no to that. Now to the issue of EGW she is an absolute non-essential, she wrote no doctrine, she has no knowledge that is unique to her, and is not necessary for people to evaluate the doctrine of the SDA church, the only effect she has on doctrine is to lock into place any error the pioneers of the SDA church made, so they cannot be corrected. The SDA church is simply playing a game a game with other peoples lives, they know it and that is wrong. Most denomination have variants, Jews for example have many different sects, but they are all Jews no one disputes that. Catholics too have the same issue there are variations of sects. they all have things in common, but they there are things that they add or differ on. that is normal in a large group. Judahism which is 15 million world wide has less people then Adventism which has 20 to 25 million, there are going to be variations. that is just a fact.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟889,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You just named the progressives as part of the the SDA church. I, and the vast majority of SDAs, am/are completely at odds with that.

Those who ignore Ellen White are also not SDAs. They do not accept a lot of SDA theology and want to force those changes upon the church. Don't tell me they don't. I've spent decades watching these controversies.

Every denomination has the right to it's own beliefs and those who want to force change upon the church, say women's ordination for example, need to join a denomination that they agree with rather than try to force what they want on those who accept the church's beliefs to accept. If I did not agree with the 28 fundamental beliefs I would never have wanted to be a member of the church. I would have gone elsewhere.

I did wind up resigning from ministry and going elsewhere when I could not agree with the fundamentals. However, I knew ministers who didn't agree with the fundamentals who remained, with the goal of reform. So yes, that does happen.

Some conservative churches discipline for apostasy, but a lot, especially in urban areas from what I saw, are not willing to do so. While conferences could take action against churches for apostasy it is not that common.

From my perspective the denomination has been for some decades trying to hold together a variety of viewpoints that are a odds with one another. Even attempts to purge more liberal Adventists would likely backfire and result in the issues they raise being brought to the forefront.

And if you are saying those who ignore Ellen White are not really Adventist, I think that would be a pretty high number at this point. Removing them would have major impacts. There are already retention issues.

Is there a higher goal than baptisms?

The Adventist Church is rejoicing that since October 1,1982, it has had an average of one thousand persons per day becoming members. What is not so well known is that 278 per day officially left our church during the same period. And the church has no way of knowing how many have "unofficially" removed themselves from the fellowship of believers. Should our church change its goals as it plans for 1990? If so, what kind of goals would be most meaningful?

Nurture, retention, reclamation: Can you hear their cry?

The Seventh-day Adventist Church is losing members at an alarming rate. Even though the evangelism in our churches is winning people, we lose about 49 of every 100 baptized. This hemorrhaging of our members cannot continue. It is expected to get worse, especially in countries where soul winning is difficult; and if it continues, entire conferences maybe closed for lack of members.

General Conference Secretary G. T. Ng, in addressing this issue, made a serious statement: “This 49 percent apostasy rate is alarming and is a serious drain on the human and financial resources of the church.” Then he asked some pertinent questions: “What happens to an army with 49 percent desertion among its soldiers? What happens to a school when 49 percent of its students drop out of classes? What happens to a factory when 49 percent of its employees decide to defect?”2

It went from around 28 per 100 in the late 80s to 49 per hundred in 2019. In the North American Division, 66 left for every 100 brought in per the statistical report:

354685_224cd3b2a038a471efaf292890ec4a9a.PNG

Of course, given the shaking notion, some wouldn't worry about losses in membership. But the various administrators don't seem to agree with that approach.

In the meantime if someone is a member they are part of the church. They may be out of step with some Adventist beliefs, but the church has not removed them. So Ice listing the groups is just an acknowledgment of the situation.

This idea of taking the name and refusing to accept the Biblical doctrines is ultimately rebellion against God, and not just against the church.

Of course, most of the groups in Adventism think their group is following what the Bible says. They just don't always line up with the 28. Some see the denominational structure as in rebellion.

Upvote 0