Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
“Conversion therapy has been discredited and denounced by professionals and health associations in Canada, the United States and around the world. It has no basis on science or facts,” said Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada David Lametti.

This ^^^^^^

Canada seeks to ban LGBTQ conversion therapy

It's already banned in Vancouver, Calgary & Ontario. In the US it's banned in CA, NY, CO & WA and I believe in Utah as well.

The Canadian federal government introduced new legislation on Monday to criminalize LGBTQ conversion therapy, as Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government moves to fulfill one of its 2019 election promises.

The proposed amendments to Canada’s Criminal Code include offenses such as causing a person to undergo conversion therapy, advertising and profiting from conversion therapy and removing a minor from Canada.

Conversion therapy is any practice designed to change a person’s sexual orientation to heterosexual, gender identity to one that matches the sex assigned at birth, or to repress or reduce non-heterosexual sexual attraction or behaviors, according to the legislation.

The bill also amends the Criminal Code to authorize courts to order disposing of or deleting advertisements for conversion therapy.

I'm really glad for this bc so many ppl have been subjected to incredible cruelty on every level - physical, psychological, spiritual - for "conversion therapy" that is absolutely ineffective at changing sexual orientation. I'm friends w several teens who are gay. Mostly boys but 1 girl from this fundamentalist family that has ostracized her for being gay & it's so heartbreaking. She's never actually done anything at all sexual yet anyways, so it's just her being her that they see as defective. Her dad died when she was young bc her mom convinced him not to get treatment for brain cancer & instead do natural therapies that are bunk. Her mom also believes in conversion therapy. I think it would kill her spiritually. I wish this would be banned everywhere!

Please don't post here if you're not Gen Z (born during / after 99)

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟346,909.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This ^^^^^^
She's never actually done anything at all sexual yet anyways, so it's just her being her that they see as defective.
That’s like saying that someone isn’t a virgin and is accused of sex outside of marriage, which holds the same as fornication biblically in both cases. So marriage same sex was gvmnt approved. Really how is that any different than fornication under consent of king? SMH totally baffling on all accts.

oops just saw the restriction, :sorry:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This ^^^^^^

Canada seeks to ban LGBTQ conversion therapy

It's already banned in Vancouver, Calgary & Ontario. In the US it's banned in CA, NY, CO & WA and I believe in Utah as well.

I'm really glad for this bc so many ppl have been subjected to incredible cruelty on every level - physical, psychological, spiritual - for "conversion therapy" that is absolutely ineffective at changing sexual orientation. I'm friends w several teens who are gay. Mostly boys but 1 girl from this fundamentalist family that has ostracized her for being gay & it's so heartbreaking. She's never actually done anything at all sexual yet anyways, so it's just her being her that they see as defective. Her dad died when she was young bc her mom convinced him not to get treatment for brain cancer & instead do natural therapies that are bunk. Her mom also believes in conversion therapy. I think it would kill her spiritually. I wish this would be banned everywhere!

Please don't post here if you're not Gen Z (born during / after 99)

Well there's one person here who claims to have been cured.
But they also claim to never think about it, and yet post on the topic constantly.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
That’s like saying that someone isn’t a virgin and is accused of sex outside of marriage, which holds the same as fornication biblically in both cases. So marriage same sex was gvmnt approved. Really how is that any different than fornication under consent of king? SMH totally baffling on all accts.

oops just saw the restriction, :sorry:

I'm baffled by what you're writing.

Lots of Christians claim that they just "hate the sin of homosexuality" but not the "sinner." They define the sin as being sexual immorality, which in order to have committed a sexually immoral sin you have to have actually done something sexual. In the case of my friend, she hasn't done anything sexual at all. She's committed no sexually immoral sins. Yet her mom who is a fundamentalist Christian acts like just by her being gay, not wanting to date boys, that she's a sin. Her as a person, not her actions. That is heartbreakingly wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Well there's one person here who claims to have been cured.
But they also claim to never think about it, and yet post on the topic constantly.

I mean, there's ppl who've claimed to be cured of everything under the sun on the internet. One of the founders of conversion therapy who spent like a decade of his life dedicated to promoting it finally came out to say it hadn't worked & he was so sorry for all the anguish he'd caused.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
May I ask why?

It's the Teen's Area. I don't make or enforce the rules. You can read the SOP for the area. I asked ppl to not post here so there's less of a hassle for mods.

Upvote 0

JetBlack

Mar 9, 2020
Sydney
✟15,302.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's the Teen's Area. I don't make or enforce the rules. You can read the SOP for the area. I asked ppl to not post here so there's less of a hassle for mods.

Yeah I noticed that almost immediately after I posted. Disregard.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟346,909.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm baffled by what you're writing.

Lots of Christians claim that they just "hate the sin of homosexuality" but not the "sinner." They define the sin as being sexual immorality, which in order to have committed a sexually immoral sin you have to have actually done something sexual. In the case of my friend, she hasn't done anything sexual at all. She's committed no sexually immoral sins. Yet her mom who is a fundamentalist Christian acts like just by her being gay, not wanting to date boys, that she's a sin. Her as a person, not her actions. That is heartbreakingly wrong.
I agree that ostracizing a celibate person as immoral is way off the deep end for any christian to condemn in others. That’s all I was pointing out.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I noticed that almost immediately after I posted. Disregard.

No worries. A lot of ppl don't notice the section so that's why I put the request in my OP w the hope ppl will then realize what section they're in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I agree that ostracizing a celibate person as immoral is way off the deep end for any christian to condemn in others. That’s all I was pointing out.

Oooooh, ok, good!!!! Thx for clarifying!!!!!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have some questions regarding this Bill.

On one level I'd argue that if you are a mentally competent adult, you have the right to seek whatever type of counselling you desire - even if it lacks a therapeutic evidence base. We apply that principle to people attending alternative medicine therapies.

That said, there is no evidence that conversion therapy has efficacy, but considerable evidence it does psychological harm that may culminate in self-harm and other forms of dyscopia.

Therefore such therapies would be irresponsible on minors who lack the capacity to make a legal informed decision.

Lastly I have issue with the premise needing to "convert" LBGTI persons. Unfortunately a discussion on the issue is not permitted on this site.

Upvote 0