Leaving Abusive marriage after 6 years! Please pray for me.

jj73

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I married my wife thinking 6 years ago "I felt it" "doing the rite thing" "I love her".. We had been together a year before we decided to tie the knot and my mother had passed away 6 months before I met her.

She is 6 years older than me. I am 35 now and she is 40. My first marriage and her second. 1 stepson.

Our life married has been terrible. I have put up with her fits of rage now for as long as I can remember, demands, outings only with her family. (Sisters and Mother). I have lived only to please her and make her happy. I can happily say I have been faithful to her throughout our whole time together. But this past few months were bad. I demands, more demands and I am not doing enough.

She has a passion for horses for one. I quickly learned that I come last in that equation. She became mad at me for quitting going to church. You know why I stopped? Because it utterly made me sick we go to church she might sing on stage etc. Say love and hugs then we get home and she is cussing me out! Using F# words over me using a bathroom towel.

I gave her my best. I bought us a home, her a nice car, all I cared for was her. But I could not keep pretending to go to the barn every single day to feed horses and church like "I LOVE LIFE".

So we decided we are ending this on no-fault grounds and will remain friends. My stepson is taking it hard. He grabbed me crying when we told him. I cried with him to. I do love him. While she sat there with cold eyes and a cold looking heart. It really startled me she was this cold. I assured my stepson this was not his doing, that he is a wonderful child and that everything will be ok. That his mother and I will be friends. He can contact me anytime he needs me. But that tore a hole in me so huge.

Children- We lost our first and only child to ectopic pregnancy at the beginning of the marriage. She and I thought we could but the complications to her left her unable to have a child. I loved her despite that!

Myself? I would respond in kind to her anger at times and did not like it. I did not like being this way. I wanted a partner to have intellectual talks with and only to always be turned away with "thats dumb". I just about lost my mind in this marriage. I like peace. I respect life. Meaning I respect all living creatures to have harmony. I will never doubt my inner voice again. You know the "gut feeling".

Many felt I married to soon after my mother died. Possibly so. But, I do not regret it. If anything I have learned much about life from this. It has been a marriage on the rocks since the start. It has been alot of turmoil. We did counseling. We did counseling with Ministers. I lived the way she wanted me to so I could get my "award for being a good boy" type thing. This is not the man she met long ago.

I came to were I felt I could do nothing on my own without her permission. I honestly danced around her to avoid her anger and anger flashes. Now I am simply tired of it all. I have prayed. I have cried. I have stayed up nights blaming myself for all of these problems. Then I was told it is not me. She is possibly Bi-polar and needs help. Well I tried to gget her that help. She was receptive at first but then told me the doctor told her she would not be able to have kids if she did. Which now I think was a lie.

I have caught her in lies. It all broke my heart. But I look in the mirror and that guy was the one that started all of this!

My love for Jesus Christ is true. That won't change. But I need prayer. I need your support. I have turned to my friends, family, etc. and found support their also. But I need Christian support.

Pray we will end our marriage peaceful like she says we will. Pray the house will sell. Pray I will be able to get my life back together and get to know me.
I need to learn who I am again but on a deeper level. I need to be my best friend. This way I can be true to a future love. I gave up myself in this marriage which is bad. So this is why I am at this point.

I remember having girlfriends in the past I could talk to for hours. I was with for 3 years. We both could talk for hours. I lend her money she would pay back when I never expected it. She would build me up. She would come over to my house and frame my accomplishments on the wall. That is the kind of person I have not been with in a long time. Also she is an example. My wife has been the opposite of all of that.

Sorry to ramble. But I am in a crisis. I am not staying in the area. I am going to move out of state. I am going to continue working on my career in radio. I think go back to school for something!

Please pray for me. Her. and my Step-Son.

God Bless You All and Thank You for listening.:yum:

Last edited:

FaithfulWife

Faithful wife to one
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟63,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
jj73,

Out of compassion I'm just going to say that I am so sorry you have to go through this and experience this pain. I'm sorry for your wife as she may not receive the help she needs or the love she wants. :( I'm sorry for your stepson because he so clearly needs a strong, loving, godly man in his life. :( I pray that God will give you wisdom and patience as you make your decisions and move through this. :pray:

~Faithful

Upvote 0

devonian

Jun 16, 2008
Illinois, USA
✟7,769.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
This is my prayer:

Please give JJ the strength that he needs to deal with this difficult situation. Give him the strength to show compassion and forgiveness to his wife for her failings, and show him the compassion and forgiveness for any part he has in this. Please put people in his life that can give him sound advice that is according to your will.

Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If she is really bi-polar that is a difficult thing to deal with. My s-i-l is bi-polar and my brother does not have an easy life, but he is able to deal with her irrational moods it seems in a very mature, calm way. She's on meds and is very compliant. My ex-bf was married to someone bi-polar and it continues to be a very sad situation for their dd.
If she was to get on lithium, she would probably not be able to carry a child to term since it typically causes miscarriages.

I am very sad to hear about your step son. Very sad. It would tear my heart to pieces to put my kids through another divorce.

Upvote 0

jj73

Jun 18, 2008
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has been seven years since I posted this thread. Here is the short version!

Thank you to those of you who prayed and supported me back then. Here is the update, we divorced a few months after this thread. Come to find out she was seeing someone during this time and I had no idea! She married this guy 1 year after divorcing me and guess what? He was another member of our church. Really made me sick to my stomach that this stuff goes on in the church.

My step-son and I lost contact. It really took a toll on me because I had failed him. I was so upset at the time that I buried myself in work, even working on holidays etc. I sold the house and moved into a friends rental house in another city for awhile to heal. This friend, "my brother" is also a Christian and showered me during that time with Bible study etc.

I ended up getting remarried to an old high school sweetheart, moved to another state and had a beautiful little girl whom is 3 now. The Lord was teaching me a lot during that time and still does today. But that voice of Jesus, is really loud when I feel change going on in my life. While the Lord is gentle and compassionate sometimes imo his voice can also be scary during the process. In which ironically builds strength too! haha

Anyhow, I'm thankful to be back here and apart of this community, I apologize it took years to update. Regardless, life is much better now.

Upvote 0

Rest

Jul 14, 2020
West
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It has been seven years since I posted this thread. Here is the short version!

Thank you to those of you who prayed and supported me back then. Here is the update, we divorced a few months after this thread. Come to find out she was seeing someone during this time and I had no idea! She married this guy 1 year after divorcing me and guess what? He was another member of our church. Really made me sick to my stomach that this stuff goes on in the church.

My step-son and I lost contact. It really took a toll on me because I had failed him. I was so upset at the time that I buried myself in work, even working on holidays etc. I sold the house and moved into a friends rental house in another city for awhile to heal. This friend, "my brother" is also a Christian and showered me during that time with Bible study etc.

I ended up getting remarried to an old high school sweetheart, moved to another state and had a beautiful little girl whom is 3 now. The Lord was teaching me a lot during that time and still does today. But that voice of Jesus, is really loud when I feel change going on in my life. While the Lord is gentle and compassionate sometimes imo his voice can also be scary during the process. In which ironically builds strength too! haha

Anyhow, I'm thankful to be back here and apart of this community, I apologize it took years to update. Regardless, life is much better now.

Awesome update

Upvote 0

Dr. Duderino

Jun 5, 2021
Windsor, Ontario
✟1,170.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Man, I feel for your bro.
My ex was pretty much the same, she has typical borderline personality disorder with anti-social traits.
By no means do I make any claim of such for your ex nor am I trying to keyboard diagnose, but I can bet 99% that she has some sort of personality disorder.
I speak from painful and frustrated experience.
Here is a useful like for BPD:

10 Signs You Are Married to Someone with a Personality Disorder

Understand that personality disorders are not true mental illness (they are often referred to as mental illnesses mistakenly), although coexisting metal illness may be present.
BPD or narcissism are not the same as bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder is caused by a neurochemical imbalance in the brain and by complex pathology not yet fully understood. Simply put, characterized by extremes of elation and depression from days to months.
I practiced psychiatry from my first year out of school as a PA, and treated many people with this disorder.

Many apologists try to make excuses for these type of people and excuse their bad behavior, claiming that the abused spouses need to learn to cater to and deal with them. Absolute nonsense.
People with personality disorders have an ingrained pattern of attitudes, thoughts an behaviors but are very well aware of the difference between right and wrong. Make no mistake, there is no excuse for these types of behaviors. They may have grown up with difficult traumas that may have helped shape who they are, but at the end of the day we are all responsible for our attitudes and behavior. Especially we who claim to be in Christ.

What you described is typical abuse suffered from those married to BPDs or the like (even though these people even claim to be Christians, which I tend to seriously question).

Please brother, understand that you have been delivered from an abusive marriage and I encourage you to stick close with precious family and Christian brothers and sisters for close support and healing.
You will come out the other side stronger than ever!

God bless brother, keep on keeping on!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums