LDS LDS: Proxy Baptism -- Basis in the Bible.

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Technically this forum is for Christians to discuss with a non-Christian. Christians aren't supposed to have separate discussions among themselves (if I understand the rules properly) so it's normal if you didn't get any responses from fellow Christians. :)
Yes that is true. My (ahem..) comment was discreetly directed at fatboys and Ironhold who have not responded to my post commenting on their comments.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
The purpose of a discussion board on apologetics is for people to put forth a question or a premise and having others respond with their thoughts on the matter.

Took me so long to find that link again I ran out of time at that moment to respond or elaborate.

The thread moved away since then, so there wasn't any point when I came back.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He wasn't talking about THEM, he was talking about being baptised for Him, Christ:
Paul was saying "baptized for the dead" not 'for Him" in these verses. I didn't talk about Acts. In Acts it says that we all are baptized in the name of Christ. (living or dead)

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul was saying "baptized for the dead" not 'for Him" in these verses.

Yet Paul is talking hypothetically about if Christ had died and not resurrected why would anyone want to be baptised for the dead as in a dead person. What he is not talking about is anyone being baptised for any other person. Baptism is for Christ, not other people.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yet Paul is talking hypothetically about if Christ had died and not resurrected why would anyone want to be baptised for the dead as in a dead person.
Prove that Paul is talking hypothetically. If you can't prove it then you are making up your own doctrine.
You ask: why would anyone wanted to be baptized for the dead (Paul's words, not mine)?
Oh, I am glad to answer your great question. There are people who died without baptism. They never heard about Christ. Their spirits are in spirit world wait for resurrection. They want to come to Christ. They want to live with God Father.
They want to make covenant with God by being baptized. Why? They want to follow Jesus - He was baptized and they want. But they can't. As Jesus used His body to atone for us, we use our bodies to help them. It is beautiful and true doctrine.

What he is not talking about is anyone being baptised for any other person. Baptism is for Christ, not other people.
Yes, he is. He is talking about baptism FOR the dead.
Show me words: baptism is for Christ. I know baptism in Christ NOT for Christ. We don't do it for Him, we do it in Him
You are saying things that are not in the Bible(unbiblical).

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Prove that Paul is talking hypothetically.

Of course:

1Co 15:16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

His hypothetical premise is "if" Christ never resurrected and builds upon that saying why be baptized for someone who never resurrected.

They want to come to Christ. They want to live with God Father.
They want to make covenant with God by being baptized. Why? They want to follow Jesus - He was baptized and they want. But they can't. As Jesus used His body to atone for us, we use our bodies to help them. It is beautiful and true doctrine.

Jesus died, but being baptised for other people simply is not scriptural. Plus, you can't say you know what these dead people want or don't want.

Yes, he is. He is talking about baptism FOR the dead.
Show me words: baptism is for Christ. I know baptism in Christ NOT for Christ. We don't do it for Him, we do it in Him
You are saying things that are not in the Bible(unbiblical).

It's the same thing. You are arguing semantics. To be baptized for Christ means to be baptised because of him, in his name....He is the whole reason! You base an entire doctrine on misunderstanding one single verse with no corroboration at all in the whole of scripture.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Took me so long to find that link again I ran out of time at that moment to respond or elaborate.

The thread moved away since then, so there wasn't any point when I came back.
I completely understand that. No problem, I was just wondering if my post were even showing up on other member's screens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums