Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Southern Baptists have apologized for past racism.

• Have Mormons acknowledged the racism of it's leaders?
  • Have the Mormons ever apologized for the sin of racism?

Or has this been an issue of spin and avoidance of shouldering the blame? This thread focuses on debate of the issue of Mormon racism and the acknowledgement of the sin of racism.

To begin to illustrate the racism:

Joseph Smith: (Joseph Fielding Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 270; History of the Church, 5: 218).

"Had I anything to do with the negro, I would confine them by strict law to their own species, and put them on a national equalization."

Brigham Young: (Journal of Discourses, 10:110)

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be."

Apostle Bruce McConkie: Mormon Doctrine, 527-28; 1966 orig. ed., changed in the current ed.

Those who were less valiant in pre-existence and who thereby had certain spiritual restrictions impose on them during mortality are known to us as the negroes. Such spirits are sent to earth through the lineage of Cain, the mark put upon him for his rebellion against God, and his murder of Able being a black skin.

2 Nephi 5:21, Book of Mormon

And he {God} had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Apologetics website Black LDS.org records Bruce R. McConkie as saying:

“Forget everything I have said, or what … Brigham Young … or whomsoever has said … that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world.” [Bruce R. McConkie, “New Revelation on Priesthood,” in Priesthood, no editor given, but presumably edited by McConkie (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1981), 126-137, esp. 126-127.]

The original statement was made in 1978.

So how's this grab you?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
If they had limited understanding on this issue, how are they to be trusted on other issues?

I've seen the exact same argument used against the Bible itself, FYI, in regards to some of the issues such as how some animals were erroneously classified in the laws of kosher.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've seen the exact same argument used against the Bible itself, FYI, in regards to some of the issues such as how some animals were erroneously classified in the laws of kosher.
That doesn't answer my question. In fact, it brings up another. How do we know the Smith and Young were not correct and this later guy is wrong?

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How do you know that your denominational leadership is correct and everyone else's is wrong?
That's not the topic of this thread. You are deflecting.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I asked because I want you to consider your denomination's leadership and how well it could stand up to the charges you're bringing against mine.
That's not relevant to this discussion. But if you promise to get back to the OP, I'll indulge you.

I'm a member of a Southern Baptist Church. Which leaders are you wanting to know about? Which leaders have their teachings considered to be official SBC doctrine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know that your denominational leadership is correct and everyone else's is wrong?

The 2 Nephi 5:21 is the sticky part. It posits God as viewing white folk as delightsome and dark skin as a curse and unenticing to white delightsome folks.

To repent of racism would not just reflect upon Joseph, Brigham, et al. but also the "God" of the Book of Mormon.

So, the best one can do (short of this) is to claim new light and move on. Issue a Declaration (OD2) that gives the best spin.

In early June of this year, the First Presidency announced that a revelation had been received by President Spencer W. Kimball extending priesthood and temple blessings to all worthy male members of the Church. President Kimball has asked that I advise the conference that after he had received this revelation, which came to him after extended meditation and prayer in the sacred rooms of the holy temple, he presented it to his counselors, who accepted it and approved it. It was then presented to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who unanimously approved it, and was subsequently presented to all other General Authorities, who likewise approved it unanimously.

3 Nephi 2:15
And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
The 2 Nephi 5:21 is the sticky part. It posits God as viewing white folk as delightsome and dark skin as a curse and unenticing to white delightsome folks.

To repent of racism would not just reflect upon Joseph, Brigham, et al. but also the "God" of the Book of Mormon.

So, the best one can do (short of this) is to claim new light and move on. Issue a Declaration (OD2) that gives the best spin.

3 Nephi 2:15
And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

*goes back to the whole issue of 'what the exact skin colors were' and 'whether or not they were using color as a metaphor for purity'*

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So Brigham Young was not a racist?

BRIGHAM YOUNG Journal of Discourses (Vol. 7, pg. 290-291)
Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African Race? If the White man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,742,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You did the minute you tried to play the whole "leadership" bit.
Do you not draw your theology from your leadership, starting with Joseph Smith??

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So Brigham Young was not a racist?

BRIGHAM YOUNG Journal of Discourses (Vol. 7, pg. 290-291)
You know I am sick and tired of this racist garbage that everyone throws out to make people out to be less than human. As I have said i drive school bus. I cannot tell you how many times I have been called racist for trying to disciplining a student. Of color or different culture. Any church you want to research history on exhibited racist attitudes towards others. Now my grandmother was racist. She hated blacks. Not because of their color but because they killed her beloved uncle she he was on a mission in the south. No I don't think that is racist because she couldn't care less of their color except for what they did. You need to stop playing the racist card people.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the thread topic:
No Official Apology for Racism of the Past
  • Have Mormons acknowledged the racism of it's leaders?
  • Have the Mormons ever apologized for the sin of racism?

Upvote 0