✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LDG's Biblical Hebrew Class-Directory of Classes:
Here is where you will find listed all your class thread links ... Please PM Tishri1 if any link doesn't work:).... We will also keep a list of any Student Notebooks here (PM Tishri1 or LDG the link to your notebook)... LDG will be happy to meet with you personally in them if needed, just tell him in your class thread or PM him for more individual help:thumbsup:

PS dont post here, this is just the directory, PM LDG with any questions about this class,
thanks
Tish:)

List of Class Threads:
Lesson 1: The Hebrew Alphabet
Lesson 2: The Hebrew Alphabet sounds
Lesson 3: The Hebrew Vowel Points

List of Student Notebooks:
Beckyy25's notebook for LDG's Biblical Hebrew Class
Dori's notebook
Favoredwiththelord's Notebook
Lindley's Notebook for LDG's Hebrew Class

stormdancer's notebook
Tish's SN for LDG's Biblical Hebrew Class:thumbsup:
Zeena's notebook.

Last edited:

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
ץ צ as i understand it isnt just 't' followed by 's'.
like 'ch' its not quite a plosive and not quite a fricative. its both at the same time. its an affricative. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

א is, as i learned it, the coughing sound that occurs between 2 consecutive vowels. like a new yorker would pronounce 'bottle': 'bo--le' (no 't'). it also occurs in uh-oh.

you say ' ד has a "th" sound '. is it the th sound in 'thin' or in 'there'. in other words is it voiced or not?

are any of the letters similar to a french 'r'? (in particular 'ע')

Last edited:
Reactions: Tishri1
Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ץ צ as i understand it isnt just 't' followed by 's'.
like 'ch' its not quite a plosive and not quite a fricative. its both at the same time. its an affricative. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

In introductory Biblical Hebrew grammars pronunciation is often more simplified than those who teach with an eye toward public reading. your learning and understanding is more nuanced than what these typical first year Biblical Hebrew grammars present, especially those in Christian circles. Besides the "ts" sound, grammars also suggest a "hissing s" and just plain "s."

א is, as i learned it, the coughing sound that occurs between 2 consecutive vowels. like a new yorker would pronounce 'bottle': 'bo--le' (no 't'). it also occurs in uh-oh.

Yes, this is a good explanation for aleph.

you say ' ד has a "th" sound '. is it the th sound in 'thin' or in 'there'. in other words is it voiced or not?

Dalet has a "there" or "the" sound - its not voiced. This is the classical pronunciation. More recent grammars follow Modern Hebrew - all dalets are simply "d" sounds.

are any of the letters similar to a french 'r'? (in particular 'ע')

I know that in modern Hebrew the letter resר is rolled.

LDG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I found these on the internet:

WikiAnswers - Why do the French pronounce R like that
There is more than one French r. It may trilled or uvular. The uvular French or German r, incidentally, is identical to the Arabic 'ayin, a sound so foreign to English that it doesn't even have a letter, only an apostrophe.

ayin
So what about the theory that there were two distinct pronunciations
of `ayin and two of Het in ancient Hebrew? As I understand it, one
pair was pharyngeal (pretend you are gargling to pronounce these) and
the other pair uvular (so rather like the Parisian French "r"). Thus
`ayin would correspond to both `eyn and gheyn in Arabic (they are
written and named as variants of the same letter), and Het to Arabic
Ha and kha (similarly differing only in a dot).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guttural_R#French

if the links dont work in your browser please let me know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I'm correct in my assumption, Tish said I too could have a link of my own.. :confused:

Absolutely! Just start a new thread and include your name in the title, calling it something like "Zeena's notebook." Then we will include the link to that new thread at the top post in this thread, just like for Tish and Dori. :wave:

LDG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We now have 3 lessons posted, covering the basics for the alphabet, sounds and vowels. These are essential building blocks for identifying and pronouncing the words. Next lesson we are going to cover some words which will reinforce these lessons.

LDG

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just create a new thread in this forum, title it "Marie's Hebrew with Yonah Notebook" or something like that, and then let us know that you've done it. Of course, it should be under my directory rather than LDG's. :)

Post all of your answers, trials and experiments, questions, etc. in your notebook and it will be checked by yours truly.

Regards,
Yonah

Upvote 0

Marie Lynn

Jun 13, 2009
✟7,780.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just create a new thread in this forum, title it "Marie's Hebrew with Yonah Notebook" or something like that, and then let us know that you've done it. Of course, it should be under my directory rather than LDG's. :)

Post all of your answers, trials and experiments, questions, etc. in your notebook and it will be checked by yours truly.

Regards,
Yonah

Thanks Yonah. I left a message in the "Hebrew with Yonah Directory" it seems I am having a little too much difficulty with navigating my way around on the forum, and getting set up.

I can work out my answers by lurking. :)

However, great site, really enjoy the helpful audios as well!

Upvote 0