Aug 24, 2010
Where I am right now, I guess
Visit site
✟8,373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should christian vegetarians go to to the old testament to learn how to be a healthy vegetarian (i don't know a prophet who was 100% vegetarian))? or should we listen to modern doctors? hildegard von bingen is very interesting but she seem to have abandon the old testament.

henrikhankhagnell

searching for real christianity
Aug 24, 2010
Where I am right now, I guess
Visit site
✟8,373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are dietary laws applicable to vegans? AFAIK, the only foods declared unclean are of animal origin. The only plant-sourced food the OT says not to eat is the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
maybe not dietry laws but more like tips on how to become more healthy.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are dietary laws applicable to vegans? AFAIK, the only foods declared unclean are of animal origin. The only plant-sourced food the OT says not to eat is the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
At certain times, grain is forbidden which is why you can drink wine but not beer then.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
maybe not dietry laws but more like tips on how to become more healthy.
In the Torah tahor and tamei(clean and unclean) are not about health but trust. God tests all people, and in this way he tested Israel's love for him. To see whether or not they loved him. "if you love me you will obey my commandments". The bible plainly states God tested Israel with the manna. It's not the only test he place upon them. All his commands are a test, of faith.

As a Messianic Jew my family has been keeping kosher for a long time. But we are also organic, and have found that eathing organic has many more health benefits than just eathing kosher. Oh we love our kosher meats, but many things that are 'rabbinically' kosher are in fact just as unhealthy or more for you than truly organic foods.

Now, I do believe that kosher meats are better than unkosher meats. For one reason is they taste better, and they are butchered properly. Meaning that when an animal is butchered inhumanly like most cows and chickens are they produce a chemical from the fear of the butchering. Kosher animals are butchered as humanly as possible and do not produce these chemicals, which are bad to consume yourself.

We are organic/kosher, but the kosher is not so much about being healthy as it is about being in love with our creator and embracing the covenantial responsibilities of Jewish life defined in Torah, expressed in tradition, and renewed and applied in the context of our New Covenant.

My point is, eat kosher if you like, but there are far more healthy reasons for eating organic and natural than there are in following the kashrut laws within the bible, or Judaism.

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It seems as if most of the threads in this sub forum are old ones, so it's not certain the the OP will see this...

When it comes to vegetarianism and the Old Testament, I think there are a couple of things we can learn from it.

According to Genesis 1:29-30 humans and animals were given plant based food at the creation. Thus, veganism is the original diet of man. It wasn't until after the flood that man was allowed to eat meat, but not carrion and not meat containing blood. (Genesis 9:1-4)

In heaven there will be no more death, and we also know that there will be no carnivores on the New Earth. (Isaiah 11:6-9, 65:25). Surely this will mean that humans also will return to our original diet.

Thus vegetarianism/veganism can be seen as returning to God's original plan for mankind.

Upvote 0