Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been in several SA Thrift Stores lately where I notice among the books for sale a lot of books with fowl language, some which take God's name in vain. Sex books seem to be common. One I noticed had printed on the cover "from his office into his bed". When I questioned the store manager about why the Army sells such books she didn't give me an answer and she wasn't too pleased that I brought up the subject.

I notice the same thing seems to be happening with Videos and DVDs.

Don't look like much of a testimony too me.

TrueSBHLove2012

True name... Salvationist
Sep 28, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi there. Would you like a great answer from someone who knows the Thrift Store world? The reason that some books like this may be found, and yes even movies and dvds, is not because of the Army, but because of the worker. The volume of books that poor through a given Salvation Army can be quite staggering. And in a hurry to put out production numbers that grow each time it is met for 2 weeks, sometimes things slip past. It is not like the workers are taking a detailed look at each book and offering a price based on its date, size, content. Most all books are one price, only checked for major damage, and tossed in a cart to be put on shelves. If you would like to have to sort through over 2400 pc's of bric a brac, books, movies, tapes, games, in a given day without anything slipping past you, I suggest you try. True, there should be someone monitoring what is being sold, but being overworked, makes that a harder and harder lot. I am very sorry you have noticed this more than once. It is sad to see it happen, but it happens to the best of them, even the worker who IS a Christian, or moreso, a Salvationist.

Kindest Regards.

Upvote 0
J

JoshuaCh1v9

Hi there. Would you like a great answer from someone who knows the Thrift Store world? The reason that some books like this may be found, and yes even movies and dvds, is not because of the Army, but because of the worker. The volume of books that poor through a given Salvation Army can be quite staggering. And in a hurry to put out production numbers that grow each time it is met for 2 weeks, sometimes things slip past. It is not like the workers are taking a detailed look at each book and offering a price based on its date, size, content. Most all books are one price, only checked for major damage, and tossed in a cart to be put on shelves. If you would like to have to sort through over 2400 pc's of bric a brac, books, movies, tapes, games, in a given day without anything slipping past you, I suggest you try. True, there should be someone monitoring what is being sold, but being overworked, makes that a harder and harder lot. I am very sorry you have noticed this more than once. It is sad to see it happen, but it happens to the best of them, even the worker who IS a Christian, or moreso, a Salvationist.

Kindest Regards.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Kindest Regards.

Thanks for your kind remarks. I can understand what you are pointing out, but what I don't understand is when some one points out material that is trouble some they put the book back on the shelf and sell it anyway.

Upvote 0

Water Walker

Look no wet feet!
Oct 10, 2012
Ontario
✟15,338.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thanks for your kind remarks. I can understand what you are pointing out, but what I don't understand is when some one points out material that is trouble some they put the book back on the shelf and sell it anyway.

Well here in Canada we hire people that may not be Christians and they would not want to get into that discussion or just would not know. There are believers in this town of mine that do it for the clerks every so often.
Hey may be it's a chance for you to witness to someone.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jeremwhy

Dec 27, 2012
✟138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As self-determination is the main principle, the decision to not purchase a sex book mustn't seem terribly difficult to any pilgrim in their land (store). When in rome.

Having been sheltered by a Salvation Army during a period of homelessness, the level of terrifying reality they deal with is such that their organization really ought to be spared this kind of criticism.

Upvote 0

Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As self-determination is the main principle, the decision to not purchase a sex book mustn't seem terribly difficult to any pilgrim in their land (store). When in rome.

Having been sheltered by a Salvation Army during a period of homelessness, the level of terrifying reality they deal with is such that their organization really ought to be spared this kind of criticism.

I have a lot of admiration for the S.A. too. I have seen the type of work they do for the homeless, those in trouble with the law and so on.

I also happen to believe that when you see your church acting out of character for a Bible believing church then you should speak up. From the books I have read on Wm. Booth, I don't think he would stand by and say nothing either.

I would also question the S.A.'s use non Christian folks to fill positions where they are expected to advise or making decisions on Christian issues.

There are positions these folks can fill where they don't have to make decisions on matters that they don't agree with spiritually or don't know much about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SarenR

Feb 15, 2012
✟15,137.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Engaged
You say that the SA should turn away non-Christian volunteers, can you imagine the uproar that would be caused in teh press if this was too happen, we would effectively be discriminating due to their believes.

Also, a non-Christian working in a SA store can lead to a belief growing and gives us a chance to witness to them, which is what we should be doing anywhere.

Finally, most SA stores will be run by members of the SA and they should be available for any concerns you may have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AmyNMoore

Truth Seeker
Jan 9, 2013
✟15,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it all depends on the store. some are run by the corps itself and others are run by and arc (adult rec center), not all are run by christians. this is not an excuss but a fact. i used to work at one. and yes i said work, not all that are at the thrift stores are volunteers. the stores are sometimes the only way that some corps are able to stay open.

God bless i hope this helps.

Upvote 0