Just for final clarification yes, we evolved from monkeys.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟280,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see this all the time, it's become one of those knee jerk responses, but we did infact evolve from monkeys if evolution is true.

This may seem pedantic, but by definition the common ancestor between monkeys and humans was infact a monkey, we would call it a monkey if we saw it today, it would fit all the criteria for being a monkey. it wasn't a modern one, but it was still a monkey.

The split from monkeys happened after new world and old world monkeys split, so humans are descended from old world monkeys wich would make our ancestors monkeys.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see this all the time, it's become one of those knee jerk responses, but we did infact evolve from monkeys if evolution is true.

This may seem pedantic, but by definition the common ancestor between monkeys and humans was infact a monkey, we would call it a monkey if we saw it today, it would fit all the criteria for being a monkey. it wasn't a modern one, but it was still a monkey.

The split from monkeys happened after new world and old world monkeys split, so humans are descended from old world monkeys wich would make our ancestors monkeys.
And let me guess, we have no sin nature ... right?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sin is actions not something from the past that some how connects to you still.
As a verb, yes.

But I'm talking about the sin nature we're born with.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟280,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a verb, yes.

and I'm saying I don't thin thats right, it's wrong to treat children as already sinners, sin is something you do, not something you inherit.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The split from monkeys happened after new world and old world monkeys split, so humans are descended from old world monkeys which would make our ancestors monkeys.

I'm not sure how you sketched all this out
but I would at least give us credit for
rising up out of that group a long as your
trying to make your story entertaining.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As a verb, yes.

You need to define "sin". If you mean the mythical Adam and Eve nature of "sin" then the answer is no. You do realize that that version of "sin" makes the God that made it extremely immoral, don't you? If your God is not immoral then the Adam and Eve story is a myth for you too.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess maybe some of us might have evolved from monkeys.
Ya think?

I once saw a shirt that said:

SCIENTISTS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO MAKE MONKEYS OUT OF THEMSELVES.

Upvote 0

AdamSK

Jun 28, 2016
Ohio
✟16,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how you sketched all this out
but I would at least give us credit for
rising up out of that group a long as your
trying to make your story entertaining.

The societal accomplishments of human beings are unrivaled in evolutionary history, and we're certainly the smartest animal on the planet. So we are "up" from the other primates in that sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it then, if we're animals, that educated people scratch their heads and wonder why some people act like them?

Remember Klebold & Harris?

Weren't they just responding naturally to environmental pressure?

And I love asking this question:

Which one wore the shirt that said NATURAL SELECTION?

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

AdamSK

Jun 28, 2016
Ohio
✟16,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it then, if we're animals, that educated people scratch their heads and wonder why some people act like them?
What do you mean, some people? We all act like animals; we are animals.

Remember Klebold & Harris?
Weren't they just responding naturally to environmental pressure?
Columbine, yes? I don't mind the idea that they were acting "naturally". Squatting down and taking a dump in public would be "natural" behavior, too. We have thousands of years of civilization around teaching people not to act on raw emotion or base urges when that nature is not what is best for us as individuals and as a society. After all, nature is "red in tooth and claw," but we would rather not live that way.

"Natural" behavior, whether the urge to kill others or to steal or to rape, does not excuse any evil in the behavior. Harm is still harm.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have thousands of years of civilization around teaching people not to act on raw emotion or base urges when that nature is not what is best for us as individuals and as a society.
And everyone is expected to comply with those teachings, I take it?

I just can't understand why educated people scratch their heads in wonderment at two animals that didn't buy into everything they were taught.

Do you buy into everything you're taught?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AdamSK

Jun 28, 2016
Ohio
✟16,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And everyone is expected to comply with those teachings, I take it?
If they want to function in society, yes. If not we lock them up or send them away.

I just can't understand why educated people scratch their heads in wonderment at two animals that didn't buy into everything they were taught.
Do you buy into everything you're taught?
You don't have to "buy into" it. You have to behave according to society's rules or accept society's consequences.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,953,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If they want to function in society, yes. If not we lock them up or send them away.
To a zoo?

Then we could charge people to see the animals in the "Feral Park."
AdamSK said:
You don't have to "buy into" it. You have to behave according to society's rules or accept society's consequences.
That's all fine and dandy.

I just don't understand educated people who scratch their heads and wonder, "What went wrong?"

Nothing went wrong.

You congregate around certain animals, you get bit.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, as an evolution supporter, I agree. Our common ancestor with monkey looked a lot like a monkey, and if seen today, even if not exactly classified as a monkey, most regular folks would look at it and, if asked what it was, say "a monkey".

Maybe it would be good for those who say "we didn't evolve from monkeys!" were clear that they are objecting to the idea that we evolved from ancient monkey-like creatures (which is correct), not that they are objecting to the idea that we evolved from today's monkeys (which is incorrect).

regardless, however, I agree with the OP.

Also - why all the derailing? It's common courtesy to stick to the topic and not hijack threads with things like "sin nature" and feral parks.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

In colloquial language, we did evolve from monkeys. In scientific terms, there are no monkeys, either living or dead. To further cloud the issue, scientists often move freely from colloquial to scientific descriptions. However, if we stuck just to the scientific taxons, then not one of them would be called "monkey".

The real confusion springs from the fact that the colloquial terms predate the theory of evolution and do not reflect the tools that scientists currently use, namely cladistics. "Monkey" is a paraphyletic term, which is a big no-no in cladistics. Terms need to be monophyletic which means that the common ancestor and ALL descendants must be described by the same name. If we do stick with monkey, then humans are still monkeys according to cladistics.

Just to be clear, the same problem exists for other very common names such as reptile, mammal, and ape. These are also paraphyletic groups. I guess it all comes down to how much of a cladistics-Nazi you want to be. ;)

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟280,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In colloquial language, we did evolve from monkeys. In scientific terms, there are no monkeys, either living or dead. To further cloud the issue, scientists often move freely from colloquial to scientific descriptions. However, if we stuck just to the scientific taxons, then not one of them would be called "monkey".

The real confusion springs from the fact that the colloquial terms predate the theory of evolution and do not reflect the tools that scientists currently use, namely cladistics. "Monkey" is a paraphyletic term, which is a big no-no in cladistics. Terms need to be monophyletic which means that the common ancestor and ALL descendants must be described by the same name. If we do stick with monkey, then humans are still monkeys according to cladistics.

Just to be clear, the same problem exists for other very common names such as reptile, mammal, and ape. These are also paraphyletic groups. I guess it all comes down to how much of a cladistics-Nazi you want to be. ;)

hmmmm on reptiles, I think that one actually is fair to say were not reptiles, could be wrong, but the one evolutionary tree I saw had humans splitting off from reptiles, before they became reptiles, as in they were still more amphibian end of the spectrum or such.

and yeah, I do think we still are monkeys it's like you said how you use labels, there is some push to dislike using the term monkey. I'm just saying if old world and new world monkeys are both monkeys so are we :> Least claditisticly speaking. Just as birds are still dinosaurs.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0