• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Junk Food

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
The problem with junkfood is its filled with things that are meant to make you keep coming back for more. Sugar, for example, has been referred to in a lot of health articles as a drug for your brain. Its true. I have a serious addiction to sugar and the only way I am going to beat the addiction is to cut it out completely which is what I am trying to do now.

It is difficult, the brain goes nuts and tells you to eat the foods you are trying to cut out but thats just like if a drug addict suddenly stops using their drug of choice. The brain goes nuts and they feel like they have got to have it.

Its tough but I have done it before and I can do it again. As soon as I try to introduce a little bit of sugar I fall off the wagon in a big way.

PS - I am not referring to fruit which has natural sugar in natural quantities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AliceBerrick

Jul 3, 2013
✟120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eating junk food is like an addiction, it ruins your health make you fat and you face more health issues like asthma stomach and other diseases. I really like healthy lifestyle for you I suggest avoiding eating this junk food, try vegetables and fruits they have great taste and really good for your health.

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I find it odd that we're perfectly alright when the government taxes cigarrettes and alcohol, bans marijuana...but then there's a huge uproar when high calorie snacks are made smaller.

Fast food is one of the greatest evils in western society. It is an industry built upon poor quality, environmental suffering and bad health. The stuff companies put into their burgers and fries...we do not know how bad it is. Then there are ''diet drinks'', which are actually even more harmful than high calorie drinks. The ''diet drinks'' are filled with aspartame, which actually causes weight gain due to a disruption in the natural metabolic process (it may also cause cancer).

However do not think I am defending sodas, they make up the majority of caloric consumption in the States.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quartzy

Jul 21, 2010
London, UK
✟19,828.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about this, if you enjoy chocolate then do not buy any but have some chocolate drink in the house, the one that you have to make with heated milk. That way you will have to think before you drink it.

As for sweet cakes etc. you could not buy any, no buscuits and no cakes, but indulge in a scone instead. Or a fruit bun. That way you are still getting the sweetness but in very small amounts.

For fat foods like fry ups, make them more healthy like grilling bacon and sausage, and using low fat spray olive oil for cooking the others.

For crisps and stuff, do not buy them and get some crackers in the house, with a little butter spread they are just as good but healthier.

Whatever the junk just try and begin on the healthier option first and see how that goes, in time you could endeavour to get even healthier than the original healthier option. Baby steps.

Upvote 0

placebo99

May 31, 2013
✟17,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My advice would be to cut back on the junk food very slowly. Compulsive eating is a hard thing to kick, and trying to quit cold turkey will most likely lead to discouragement and relapse.

The best thing to do is to cut back on the sugar intake. Simple carbohydrates are honestly the worst thing for the health, but they're the thing most people struggle with. I would try replacing sugar with fat / protein where possible.

Also, don't believe the rubbish the media tells you about saturated fat: it is actually good for you! Use butter instead of margarine, cream instead of milk, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. These options are more satisfying and haven't got as many additives as their low-fat alternatives.

The last thing I'd say to you is not to be too hard on yourself. Junk food isn't great but if you manage to eat it in moderation and in small portions then it isn't going to do you any harm.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0