John Piper invites Rick Warren to speak at Conference. Good move?

NJBeliever

Apr 29, 2009
New Jersey
✟9,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unless rick has repented and changed a lot of his teachings I am quite skeptical. I am not sure what Piper is thinking on this. I have found him to usually be of sound judgment and good teaching. I did read on another thread that Piper is taking a sabbatical of sorts for personal reflection.

Upvote 0

1611AV

REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.
May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have updated my blog with a post about Rick Warren (who I consider a "self-help" guru rather than Bible preacher) being invited to the Desiring God Conference by John Piper.

What are thoughts from the Reformed Community on this?

Apostasy Alert — John Piper’s Invitation of Rick Warren to Desiring God Conference « Spirit and Truth

Interesting statement made at the end of this video. When he says looking back over the years he has some work to do with his soul. I wonder, does he not have assurance.

Upvote 0

Pete_Martinez

May 1, 2010
✟15,524.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, the only problems I have with Pastor Piper is the fact that his discernment seems to be really weak when it comes to choosing people to work alongside with. I really wish he had elders that had discernment to help him decide better. And his position on the age of the Earth. Other than that though everything else is solid. I still greatly enjoy his work.

Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, the only problems I have with Pastor Piper is the fact that his discernment seems to be really weak when it comes to choosing people to work alongside with. I really wish he had elders that had discernment to help him decide better. And his position on the age of the Earth. Other than that though everything else is solid. I still greatly enjoy his work.
I think Pipers position on the age of the earth is just fine;):thumbsup: However I am not a fan of Rick Warren at all, I couldnt believe this news when I heard it, since I enjoy listening to Piper preach.

But noone is perfect, maybe Rick might have something good to say..One other thing is, I know Piper, and I wouldnt put it paste him to call Rick Warren out for something while he is there? Perhaps thats the plan;););) we shall see. I hope so:)

Upvote 0

1611AV

REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.
May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Pipers position on the age of the earth is just fine;):thumbsup: However I am not a fan of Rick Warren at all, I couldnt believe this news when I heard it, since I enjoy listening to Piper preach.

But noone is perfect, maybe Rick might have something good to say..One other thing is, I know Piper, and I wouldnt put it paste him to call Rick Warren out for something while he is there? Perhaps thats the plan;););) we shall see. I hope so:)

Or maybe Rick is planning the old re-re-reform. He is "purpose driven"

Upvote 0

Kennesaw42

Shepherd's Crook, Roughly Hewn
Jan 5, 2011
Western USA
✟7,771.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Associations are tricky. I love John Piper, as an expositor, preacher, and as a brother. Sometimes he associates with controversial guys (witness Doug Wilson, whom I first encountered on a Desiring God roundtable discussion video, and was so impressed with him that I began listening, with profit, to his sermons, only to learn recently that he has espoused some form (supposedly a mild form) of the Federalist Vision (akin to but distinguishable from New Perspective on Paul), which has been denounced by the PCA and OP churches, with, imo, good reason.
But how wrong does a brother have to be before we deny him the right hand of fellowship? I see dangers on either side: being to quick to rush to judgment, and being too slow in keeping the fox out of the hen house. Thanks be to God that he has wiser men than me watching from the ramparts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums