I've been attending a Calvary Chapel church recently. Have a question...

Calvary4me

May 21, 2018
SouthWest
✟18,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The SOF on this website seems to have two items disturbing to me. First, the HS does not necessarily indwell a believer at the moment of belief? Second, do they accept that healing and other "sign" gifts are still used today?

I have attended this church for one year, and have seen no evidence of either teaching, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks!

• Prayers
Reactions: Kosher Salt

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The SOF on this website seems to have two items disturbing to me. First, the HS does not necessarily indwell a believer at the moment of belief? Second, do they accept that healing and other "sign" gifts are still used today?

I have attended this church for one year, and have seen no evidence of either teaching, so I'm a bit confused. Thanks!
Hi I have been a part of many Calvary chapels form many years. Chuck Smith wrote a book called Calvary distinctives that will answer your questions about what they believe in detail if you care to read it. They do believe that the gifts are for today and in healing by the gifts. They do believe speaking in tongues still is a girt. They see the scripture to do all things in order and not to have more than two or three speak in tongues at a meeting and not unless there is an interpreter. They teach you are saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit when you are born again. They teach the Holy Spirit has 3 roles. role 1 to convict the world or individual of their sin. Upon belief you are filled with the Holy Spirit and this is Christ in you the hope of glory. The 3rd role is the Holy Spirit upon you and this is for boldness to proclaim the Lord. The upon experience we get on and off the indwelling is constant. They teach the word of knowledge and prophecy are still valid but will never contradict what God has already said in His word. They teach that you should test the spirits against what is in the word.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟384,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The SOF on this website seems to have two items disturbing to me. First, the HS does not necessarily indwell a believer at the moment of belief?

As Brian mentioned, it is the empowering of the Holy Spirit that doesn't necessarily happen at the moment of belief, but the indwelling does according to CC doctrine.

Second, do they accept that healing and other "sign" gifts are still used today?

Absolutely. Some CC's have a heavier emphasis on the gifts than others. Ask your pastor about these topics, as some CC's are more Baptist than Pentecostal, and others are more "Bapticostal". The ones that were more Pentecostal split and started the Vineyard fellowships from what I understand. The CC I attended for years didn't express the gifts of the Spirit in a congregational setting, but the Pastor taught on the gifts, and we definitely believed in their operation today.

CC's generally teach verse by verse through the Bible, and if the topics aren't part of the Scripture covered, they generally won't be commented on. Teaching verse by verse and believing in the gifts of the Spirit for today are two of the main CC emphasis'. I agree with Brian, you should read Chuck Smith's book: Calvary Chapel Distinctives. It is very helpful in giving you an overview of what CC's are all about. Ask your Pastor for a copy, he might have them on hand.

God bless;
Michael

Upvote 0

Calvary4me

May 21, 2018
SouthWest
✟18,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you "Food" - that was a good response. I have studied the tongues and healing issues in a fair amount of depth, and am quite convinced through scripture that they are not active today. So as long as I don't see them displayed or taught at my CC church, I am content - they seem to be very solid in all other matters of doctrine (as I am led to believe...)

As Brian mentioned, it is the empowering of the Holy Spirit that doesn't necessarily happen at the moment of belief, but the indwelling does according to CC doctrine.

Absolutely. Some CC's have a heavier emphasis on the gifts than others. Ask your pastor about these topics, as some CC's are more Baptist than Pentecostal, and others are more "Bapticostal". The ones that were more Pentecostal split and started the Vineyard fellowships from what I understand. The CC I attended for years didn't express the gifts of the Spirit in a congregational setting, but the Pastor taught on the gifts, and we definitely believed in their operation today.

CC's generally teach verse by verse through the Bible, and if the topics aren't part of the Scripture covered, they generally won't be commented on. Teaching verse by verse and believing in the gifts of the Spirit for today are two of the main CC emphasis'. I agree with Brian, you should read Chuck Smith's book: Calvary Chapel Distinctives. It is very helpful in giving you an overview of what CC's are all about. Ask your Pastor for a copy, he might have them on hand.

God bless;
Michael

Upvote 0

the last child

This. this is my right eye—no left eye. sorry. Lol
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2019
Frozen Tundra
✟56,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Two things;

The Christian is not obligated to tithe
Look up the Shepherding movement

I’m confused...very... was this person asking about tithing? And what is sof

Upvote 0

the last child

This. this is my right eye—no left eye. sorry. Lol
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2019
Frozen Tundra
✟56,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Two things;

The Christian is not obligated to tithe
Look up the Shepherding movement

I’m confused...very... was this person asking about tithing? And what is
Thank you "Food" - that was a good response. I have studied the tongues and healing issues in a fair amount of depth, and am quite convinced through scripture that they are not active today. So as long as I don't see them displayed or taught at my CC church, I am content - they seem to be very solid in all other matters of doctrine (as I am led to believe...)

I’m just curious as to why you believe healing and speaking into tongues isn’t something that happens today? —just bc you said you studied it in great detail—and also why would it bother you to hear it taught in church since it is not a salvic fundamental issue? I don’t really know much about these gifts is why I am asking, but I have always loved Calvary Chapels :)

Upvote 0