Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well its scary in my hometown because there is such a darkness and most pyoung people are into clubbing drugs alcohol the usual. There isnt a church that is really on fire in the whole town as far as i can tell, though there are some people who are. My church there has only just started a youth group i think for any of the younger people in the church - under 25 sorts thing but there is 3 people there at the min.

I praise God that i am at university here at the min were God is doing some awsome things. There is a youth group for 11 - 21's and another group for 18 - 30's both are going on a weekend away. They are also thinking about opening the church coffee shop at night because there isnt much to do round here especially for christians at the university.

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's sad and totally unfortunate if you think our generation is a lost one. And, praise God, I think you're dead wrong!

I see young people around my area getting married young, instead of shacking up until they're thirty. I see young people getting involved--really involved-- in the church as well as politics. I see young families doing without materialistic STUFF so the woman can stay home and raise her children. If you see the bad, I'm really sorry...that's so sad...

God is really doing a work in young people around my area though, and I will NEVER think our generation is a lost one. To do so would give credit to Satan, when we should be defeating him with our words.

Upvote 0
Hey SalvoPete

I'm in Melbourne Australia too. Yes, there are many lost youth today. But (at least in uni) many of them are very hungry - hurting, looking for love.

Many ppl involved in causes like refugees, environment etc - presumably looking for something to believe in.

I think that this generation has heaps of potential. A pastor friend of mine said that this generation is God's generation, and like our national anthem goes, we are destined to be "young and free"... Awesome prophetic word I reckon.

The campus group I was attending was reaching out to various groups on campus - whether it be in the colleges or people of different faiths.

How are you involved with the Salvo's?

Jason

Jason

Upvote 0
It's good Cammie when you see people upholding Christian values. Only a small percentage of 20 - 30 year olds are Christians in Australia and I don't see much being done to change that.
I see people turning to drugs and getting bashed until their nearly bleeding to death, I see young guys in pubs drinking until they fall and I see a generation wanting to learn about God but there is nothing for their age group to keep them interested in Church and guess what Cammie... it's sad! There are many people that are "lost" and we need to start to do something about it.

I love how some people have coffee shops going and things like that to attract 20 - 30 year olds and I praise God for that stuff.

Cammie, you think that by me saying that this generation is a lost one is giving credit to Satan? It is mearly a fact, especially in Melbourne, Australia. At least by admitting there is a need I can work at trying to make things better! Over here, not all this generation is lost (of course!), but the high percentage that are make it, generally, a lost generation. Admit it! Then work on fixing it.

Upvote 0
I think you're right Jason that there are many looking/searching for something. I just really wish there was more for them.
In Melbourne, the Salvation Army, when holding combined Youth events can get up to 300 people. I run a youth group of about 20 at Werribee.

Are you at Uni? I'm currently studying Management at Sunbury (Victoria University)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I'm at Melb Uni doing commerce and science. 5th year. Had my last class ever today!

We've got a youth group of about 10 ppl. Our church is pretty new, less than one year old. On campus though, there's a group called Melbourne Victory Fellowship (MVF) which has been doing some really good outreach to the students. Things like debates on modern culture, world views and historical evidence for Jesus Christ. I've learned a lot from them.

I have a friend who lives in Sunbury, and one in Werribee as well. Both are youth leader type people and definitely into outreach and youth/young adults. I'd recommend checking out MVF. My Werribee friend could probably give you a lift to one of their meetings. Maybe I could hook you up with him if you're interested.

Jason

Upvote 0
I used to go to Melbourne Uni. I studied Science for a year but then I transferred to a Management course. When I was there I went to a couple of Christian Union events, but I've never heard of MVF. Probably because I usually just went to Uni and then came straight back home.
It would be interesting to get to know other Christian Youthy people, especially if we have different things to offer each other and we can work together, e.g. I may know of a good person that offers sound equipment for events and someone else may know a good contact for a Christian comedian. Anyway, that's just an example, but you know what I mean. If we are all closeby in suburbs we could make better use of the contacts we have!
Does the guy from Werribee do stuff in Werribee/Hoppers Crossing or does he go somewhere else?

Upvote 0

Kristine

Oct 30, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
✟457.00
Faith
Christian
We're really blessed in Ottawa.  With two major universities and two colleges, a lot of Christians come to our big city, and then to our church which is right downtown. 

My church's Young Adults group's phone list takes two double-sided legal sized papers to complete.  On any given night we can expect at least 300 people, we meet in the sanctuary since no other room can hold us all anymore.

Once a month we also hold a city-wide P&W that draws in well over 500 - 600 people depending on the month.

But bigger is not always better.  We used to all go on a canoe trip over the August long weekend, but now, since there'd be room for too few, the group doesn't do this time honoured activity anymore.  I for one miss the initimate fellowship on this island in the middle of nowhere, alot. 

Thankfully, there are small group bible studies that also take place - there would otherwise be too many people to get to know... I'm still meeting people who've been there for three years or more :D

Kristine

Upvote 0