Is there a Bible verse that affirms Sola Scriptura?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If not, is then Sola Scriptura fake?

In a word, no.

If that were true it would need to have been true from the beginning. It would be impossible for it to have been true from the beginning because there was no new testament at the beginning of Christianity, and copies of the old testament were too rare for every church to have a copy .

Add to that the fact that most people were illiterate until around 100 years ago, the scriptura was all but meaningless.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is the testimony of scripture that Christ appealed to scriptures to justify His teachings. He certainly didn't appeal to the Jewish religious groups or to their traditions ...

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It is the testimony of scripture that Christ appealed to scriptures to justify His teachings. He certainly didn't appeal to the Jewish religious groups or to their traditions ...
Where did we get the Bible?

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can you define it please? I’m just curious because I have heard that a lot of people mix up Sola Scriptura and Solo Scriptura. Just wondering how true that is.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Every Verse affirms Sola Scriptura, why, because everything written in the Bible is Truth, there isn't any Ritual or Tradition more affirming than truth itself.

Rituals shall cease, Traditions shall fade away.

Mat. 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Mark 13:31
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass
away.

Luke 21:33
Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it depends on what someone means by sola scriptura. I think usually people mean the Bible has all we need to know and do, in order to be saved and live for God and be Raptured and do well in judgment and then share eternity with God and one another as God's own family.

And, yes, there is scripture which says not to add to what God has written to us. Deuteronomy 4:2 says what I think means this. Also, in Revelation we are told not to add to the Book of Revelation, if I understand this scripture right > Revelations 22:18. But ones understand that if we are not to add to the Book of Revelation, it makes sense that God does not want us to add to anything else of His word.

In any case, we do need all which God means by the Bible; so we need to make sure we study and know and live all which the Bible means. But this comes mainly by trusting in Christ > Ephesians 1:12, and submitting to all which God pleases to do with us > Proverbs 3:5-6, James 4:7, Colossians 3:15, Hebrews 12:4-11, 1 John 4:17-18.

But included in what the Bible says is that we the children of God are an "epistle of Christ written in our hearts", in 2 Corinthians 3:1-3. We, not a paper book, are the message of God, I consider this means. We are the living meaning, the love meaning which words are not enough to tell, though we need to grow and mature more and get more correction of His love's perfection > 1 John 4:17.

And, talking about love, we have >

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

So, we children of God have God's own love being shared with us "in our hearts" by the Holy Spirit. This is not just scripture. So, there is more than scripture > there is all which God Himself does in us and our lives and ministry. And God does all He knows His word means >

"'So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
. It shall not return to Me void,
. But it shall accomplish what I please,
. And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.'"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Isaiah 55:11)

So it is not enough to have the scriptures, but we also need how the Holy Spirit in us and our lives produces all which God Himself understands His word to mean. And we discover this by submitting to God (James 4:7, Proverbs 3:5-6), actively seeking His correction (Hebrews 12:4-11), and growing in His love so "that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (in 1 John 4:17-18)

So, we need how God perfects us in His love, "that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." This is what God wants, and Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that this word of God will accomplish what He pleases.

So, yes we do need the holy scriptures, but we also need how God does all He means by His word, with us.

And if God's grace does in us what the Bible says, this is enough. Even so, there are people and things which God uses which are not in the Bible and not specified in detail in God's word.

But are there traditions and messages which are not in the Bible, but we need them?

I believe that the Bible has what we need, in order to be saved and then conformed into the image of Jesus and in order for us to love the way God wants. But in our everyday lives there are specific people and activities which God wants to share with us. So, I believe these can be essential if God wants them.

If He arranged that you heard a certain preacher in order to get saved, that was essential. If He provides us with a certain church which He uses to mature us in Jesus, this is essential. And there are trials and problems which can be essential.

So, I think the practical thing to do is to simply submit to God and discover all He does with us. All His grace does in us is essential, I would say.

And I think the Bible gives us enough. No more is necessary, in general. But, like I say, if there are certain things God wants for an individual, these things can be essential. And what the Holy Spirit has us saying in prayer is, I think, the word of God, if it is what God has us saying. And our prayers might not have actual quotes of the Bible.

So, I agree with the basic idea of sola scriptura, I think, but I understand there is all which God Himself shares with us, and this is all essential :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If He arranged that you heard a certain preacher in order to get saved, that was essential. If He provides us with a certain church which He uses to mature us in Jesus, this is essential.
:oldthumbsup:
Sola Scriptura affirms Ephesians 4:11-12.
It also recognizes the responsibility of God's people to affirm the integrity of their message. Acts of the Apostles 17:11; Isaiah 8:20

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That question has more ramifications than you can imagine.
  1. God's Word is firm as intended (though not necessarily as preferred). See Matthew 24:35.
  2. The Holy Spirit can add to the written Word, but He will never be in conflict with it. See John 14:26. The "greater" works mentioned in John 14:12 will be unprecedented (that is, not described in Scripture).
  3. The written Word is still useful as a test for orthodoxy (when there IS a conflict). See 2 Timothy 3:16.
  4. Something that is not in conflict with the written Word could still prove to be a bad idea. It just doesn't fail THAT test. See 1 Corinthians 10:23

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are numerous verses that speak of Scripture being of the highest worth; and there are none that speak of something else being its equal.

Put 1 and 1 together and you get your answer, just as you arrive at the belief in the Trinity because of various verses that teach the oneness of God while others teach the distinctiveness of the three different persons of that God--even though there is not a single verse that proclaims God is one being in three divine persons.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the early 1900s, there was a British evangelist named Smiths Wigglesworth. Sometimes (when he had healing meetings) instead of "laying on" of hands, he would PUNCH people...! They would fall back, of course, but when they got back up, they would be healed (and uninjured from his punch). You will see no example of that in your Bible.

"Sola Scriptura" means (to some, at least) "If it isn't in your Bible, you don't get to do it."

I'm not sure what you would call the idea, "If it is in CONFLICT with your Bible, you shouldn't do it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture to see if what he said was true and Sola Scriptura is essentially saying that we should take the same approach whenever someone tries to teach us something. If there is ever a conflict between what OT Scripture says and what someone else says, then we should side with OT Scripture every time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,203,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0