Is the Book of Enoch true?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A guy at my church says it's true, but I doubt it is divinely inspired because it makes many far fetched claims. It was also rejected by the early church, similar to the gnostic gospels (which came out in medieval times-after the New Testament was finished-and thus were added after Revelation and couldn't have been true). I've done research on this, and its hard to come to a conclusion.

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The book may contain some things that are true but as a whole, the Church did not feel that it was worthy of inclusion in the Biblical Canon so theology should not be derived from it. Obviously the book was not written by Enoch because it came into existence so much later on but parts of it may be based upon Jewish oral tradition that was passed on for hundreds of years and unless it contradicts the Bible, we cannot say definitively that it is false.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ya, I didn't feel it was of the same quality as the Bible when I rad Enoch. Jude seems to have read Enoch before writing his letter.
I think it would be good for more Christians to read Enoch as to have a feel for what some early Christians had read. Today we read a lot of Christian books that aren't to replace the Bible, so why not read some that early Christians read.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A guy at my church says it's true, but I doubt it is divinely inspired because it makes many far fetched claims.
While Enoch cannot be treated as Scripture, Jude does quote from Enoch, and to that extent it is true. One can learn from non-canonical books, while separating the wheat from the chaff.

14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Enoch was not included in the canon...end of discussion.

This.

The book of enoch had nothing to do with Enoch, the Godly man who walked with God, nor did he write it. Nor did God Most High, El Elyon, the living God direct anyone else to write it.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ya, I didn't feel it was of the same quality as the Bible when I rad Enoch. Jude seems to have read Enoch before writing his letter.
I think it would be good for more Christians to read Enoch as to have a feel for what some early Christians had read. Today we read a lot of Christian books that aren't to replace the Bible, so why not read some that early Christians read.

What good would that do if it isn't Bibically accurate?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While Enoch cannot be treated as Scripture, Jude does quote from Enoch, and to that extent it is true. One can learn from non-canonical books, while separating the wheat from the chaff.

14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

If it's true, why shouldn't it be treated like Scripture?

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because all truth is not Bible Truth. Scripture is GOD-BREATHED (2 Tim 3:16). If God caused Jude to quote from Enoch, then we accept Jude as Scripture. Paul also quotes from secular sources.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because all truth is not Bible Truth. Scripture is GOD-BREATHED (2 Tim 3:16). If God caused Jude to quote from Enoch, then we accept Jude as Scripture. Paul also quotes from secular sources.

How do you know the Book of Enoch is inspired? Lee Strobel said it contains some truth but Jude quoting it doesn't mean it's inspired. It has unbibical claims, like there is an angel who is set over the repentance of those who inherit eternal life, and knowledge of ink and paper caused fall of humans.

Last edited:
Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know the Book of Enoch is inspired? Lee Strobel said it contains some truth but Jude quoting it doesn't mean it's inspired. It has unbibical claims, like there is an angel who is set over the repentance of those who inherit eternal life, and knowledge of ink and paper caused fall of humans.
Where did I say the book of Enoch is inspired? I said Jude was inspired.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jude, the brother of James, wasn't quoting a "book of enoch". He was quoting something most likely said and well known by the man who walked with God, Enoch. The "book of enoch" neither shines God's Light or Truth, nor is inspired by the living God. It is pseudepigraphal (a falsely attributed work, text whose claimed authorship is unfounded).

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
You guys know that Enoch has been in the Ethiopian Orthodox canon for hundreds of years? They are only the largest group of Orthodox Christians in the world, and it might not be in your canon, but sure does exist in theirs.

Also, 1 Peter 3:19-20 makes reference to Enoch when it talks about Jesus descending to preach the spirits because those are the watchers, the sons of God who go into the daughters of man in Genesis.

And Jesus makes mention of it as Scripture when he says to the Sadducees, "do you not know the Scriptures that angels are not married nor given in marriage." That doesn't come from any canonical text, but it comes from 1 Enoch.

Also consider that 1 Enoch is dated to about the 4th Century BC, and is older than a number of canonical writings, and was widely believed by Second Temple Jews as it helped form some of their worldview. It would have been believed by the Apostles

So, it is a more complicated situation with this book in regards to is it true, and/or is it inspired.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You guys know that Enoch has been in the Ethiopian Orthodox canon for hundreds of years? They are only the largest group of Orthodox Christians in the world, and it might not be in your canon, but sure does exist in theirs.

Also, 1 Peter 3:19-20 makes reference to Enoch when it talks about Jesus descending to preach the spirits because those are the watchers, the sons of God who go into the daughters of man in Genesis.

And Jesus makes mention of it as Scripture when he says to the Sadducees, "do you not know the Scriptures that angels are not married nor given in marriage." That doesn't come from any canonical text, but it comes from 1 Enoch.

Also consider that 1 Enoch is dated to about the 4th Century BC, and is older than a number of canonical writings, and was widely believed by Second Temple Jews as it helped form some of their worldview. It would have been believed by the Apostles

So, it is a more complicated situation with this book in regards to is it true, and/or is it inspired.

Thank you kindly for sharing your views and opinions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i would say that jude quotes a known prophecy delivered by Enoch ... whether he quotes from what is now known of the "book of enoch" i don't know . but we know the translation of the book of enoch and sources of its script are unverified and heavily tampered with . so much of what is in it is dubious . It is an interesting read and parts of it ARE validated by the bible ..
so when you read it ..where it is in agreement with all other scripture -take note - and where it has no backing from scripture .. put that on the shelf .

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I don't think we need to read them. We know that God has told us that the Bible is God-breathed, but these other books are not part of the Bible.

It's a slippery slope because whenever we supplement with things outside of the Word of God. Many of those gnostic texts have wierd things in them. I'd stay away.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly we must hold to only what God has provided and preserved down through history for our salvation and all blessing. God has not left us to guess about His mind. Beside the fact that Enoch did not write a book as far as anyone knows, and may have exclaimed prophetic truths before His "translation" to God, he was not given as our source for God's "Word of Truth" book. When professing Christians begin speculating and ignore "all the counsel of God" in His immutable Word, they will soon go astray.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟273,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that the Book of Enoch is scripture in the Orthodox Church. I've read many textbooks and other books throughout my life, so I said to myself, why not read this book? I have found it to be quite legit, and it's got quite a bit of information in there that is explanatory and useful. When the Holy Spirit is leading you, He will show you what is good to read and what is not, therefore you need not worry about whether it's in the Bible or not. Just because it's not in the Bible does not mean it's not good for your edification. Take an inspiring book for instance. Not biblical and yet useful for the downhearted. Give the Book of Enoch a read, but first pray for the guidance and discernment of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is dangerous ground ---going outside God's revealed Word given through the past 300 - 400 years is speculating and God will not bless it. The speculator will miss the pathway of God. One should value the KJV and avoid all the various renderings to change words for the flesh of men.

Upvote 0