Is Tarshish England, and lets start a fight with the Scots while we are at it.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
This thread got closed down by the mods. Rebuking the Sinful Multi-nation of the UK
Its a bit sad because it had moved on from the rancorous start and had turned quite light hearted. Go check it out.
Anyway I thought we could have some light hearted fun. There was some daft accusations of men in dresses aimed at our Scottish neighbours. This frightening bunch of warriors.-

@Confused-by-christianity also posted this comment-
Had a cool chat with a mate a while ago. We wondered if Tarshish was actually Great Britain??? It was fun to have a light hearted speculation
@Tom 1 @Strong in Him
I believe its a valid argument that Tarshish is in England.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This thread got closed down by the mods. Rebuking the Sinful Multi-nation of the UK
Its a bit sad because it had moved on from the rancorous start and had turned quite light hearted. Go check it out.
Anyway I thought we could have some light hearted fun. There was some daft accusations of men in dresses aimed at our Scottish neighbours. This frightening bunch of warriors.-

@Tom 1 @Strong in Him
Even though I replied to that thread and was "watching" it I didn't receive any alerts and I wasn't aware discussion had continued. Weird.

I actually used to also believe many similar things to the thread starter and I also used to believe kilts were sinful for men. :doh:

I always thought Tarshish was somewhere in Spain?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Archaeology and Geology seems to place it somewhere near present day Seville.

However, since the Mormons claim to have been to North America before the Europeans with no archaeological evidence to back it up - claims such as Britain would seem part of the conclusions that are typical.

Since Tarshish was across the sea, this would have been the Mediterranean Sea at the farthest point in Spain.

The British Israelism isn't much different than when the US colonizers thought they were somehow the new promised land.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Awesome.

I was a bit confused though; isn't that the Royal Stewart Tartan? Wouldn't Black Watch be wearing the Black Watch tartan?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I actually used to also believe many similar things to the thread starter and I also used to believe kilts were sinful for men. :doh:
I remember back in the 70, one of the elders of our church was constantly on at the women for wearing jeans.
In my view, the condemnation in scripture about men wearing women's clothes or vice versa was to prevent Satan or his demonic horde introducing sinful behaviour into the land.

Today we have all the design houses deliberately making men dress like women and women dress like men.

But there's no way that kilts make Scottish men look effeminate, nor do the trousers/leggings that Asian women often wear below their saris make them look masculine.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Just to toss a spanner into the workings of conventional thought, read this.-
The text of the Declaration of Arbroath

Written in 1320, "The Declaration of Arbroath" is a letter written by the dukes and earls of Scotland to the Pope. It was a complaint against the English king Edward and his beastly army that had been raiding and pillaging Scotland. The request was that the pope would censure Edward or excommunicate him etc. But what is far more interesting is the mundane detail of where the Scots originated from. Israel!

This is just an extract.-
Most Holy Father and Lord, we know and from the chronicles and books of the ancients we find that among other famous nations our own, the Scots, has been graced with widespread renown.

They journeyed from Greater Scythia by way of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Pillars of Hercules, and dwelt for a long course of time in Spain among the most savage tribes, but nowhere could they be subdued by any race, however barbarous.

Thence they came, twelve hundred years after the people of Israel crossed the Red Sea, to their home in the west where they still live today.

The Britons they first drove out, the Picts they utterly destroyed, and, even though very often assailed by the Norwegians, the Danes and the English, they took possession of that home with many victories and untold efforts; and, as the historians of old time bear witness, they have held it free of all bondage ever since.

In their kingdom there have reigned one hundred and thirteen kings of their own royal stock, the line unbroken a single foreigner.

The high qualities and deserts of these people, were they not otherwise manifest, gain glory enough from this: that the King of kings and Lord of lords, our Lord Jesus Christ, after His Passion and Resurrection, called them, even though settled in the uttermost parts of the earth, almost the first to His most holy faith.

Nor would He have them confirmed in that faith by merely anyone but by the first of His Apostles - by calling, though second or third in rank - the most gentle Saint Andrew, the Blessed Peter's brother, and desired him to keep them under his protection as their patron forever.

The Most Holy Fathers your predecessors gave careful heed to these things and bestowed many favours and numerous privileges on this same kingdom and people, as being the special charge of the Blessed Peter's brother.​

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember back in the 70, one of the elders of our church was constantly on at the women for wearing jeans.
In my view, the condemnation in scripture about men wearing women's clothes or vice versa was to prevent Satan or his demonic horde introducing sinful behaviour into the land.

Today we have all the design houses deliberately making men dress like women and women dress like men.

But there's no way that kilts make Scottish men look effeminate, nor do the trousers/leggings that Asian women often wear below their saris make them look masculine.
I still have a personal view that it's better for women to wear a skirt. However I don't go on about it. My mum is a Christian and wears pants.

I do believe many women dress like men in a way sometimes. Even things like oversized suit jackets and short hair irritates me but it's not something I lose sleep over. My opinion on men's hair has changed I used to think men should only have quite short hair but I now hold the position that it's jaw/shoulder length for men and longer for women. I read women in ancient times would have even waist length hair.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Cross dressing and transsexuals was a common practice in ancient Israel hence the law needed to be included about men and women not dressing as the opposite sex

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I still have a personal view that it's better for women to wear a skirt. However I don't go on about it. My mum is a Christian and wears pants.

I do believe many women dress like men in a way sometimes. Even things like oversized suit jackets and short hair irritates me but it's not something I lose sleep over. My opinion on men's hair has changed I used to think men should only have quite short hair but I now hold the position that it's jaw/shoulder length for men and longer for women. I read women in ancient times would have even waist length hair.

My hair doesn't grow beyond my shoulders else it tangles (curly/wavy frizzy texture) I think as long as women aren't cutting their hair to look like men, God doesn't mind. My hair is Bob to shoulder length

I prefer skirts as they are more modest and feminine but it isn't a salvation issue so I don't think about it much.

If someone is trying to present as opposite sex I would be not sure about that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My hair doesn't grow beyond my shoulders else it tangles (curly/wavy frizzy texture) I think as long as women aren't cutting their hair to look like men, God doesn't mind.

I don't think God cares at all about hair length, to be honest.

My hair has always, apart from a brief time at primary school, been short.
It is now pink, so I guess that's not too masculine. But even if it was, I don't think it matters. I also have a collection of slightly zany waistcoats - and a couple of ties.
Personally, I don't particularly like long hair on men, but it doesn't affect their salvation.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is now pink, so I guess that's not too masculine. But even if it was, I don't think it matters. I also have a collection of slightly zany waistcoats - and a couple of ties.
Personally, I don't particularly like long hair on men, but it doesn't affect their salvation.

Exactly. The sin would be deliberately trying to look like the opposite sex for sexual.fetish purposes. Autogynophilia, I believe it is known as and it was an issue back in Biblical times, like it is today in Thailand (the ladybird of bangkok etc) and also UK where drag queens are pretty common

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I

I would run far from any ministry or church that claims hair or make up etc can damn someone to hell...won't go near any chu each that puts heavy burdens on people

I also suspect my suspicion of women with very cropped hair is a hangover from my legalistic upbringing but also maybe some snobbery too. I admit I can be a clothes shop eg.I hate tattoos even though the new testament doesn't address that issue at all

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟217,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

@Tom 1 @Strong in Him

First, a big thank you to Strong in Him for the excellent replies to previous OP. I am sorry for the abuse you received. I have mixed feelings about the entire thread being deleted, as we have now lost all the good replies. (Google has a cache of page 1). The problem with the internet and forums is that it takes much more time, effort, and understanding to give accurate and well written responses and comment, than it is to bash out poorly written claims, and wasting no time in checking their accuracy.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟217,696.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Kilts - presumably the aforementioned OP met one kilt wearers in the video (#1), and experienced their feeble and effeminate nature! ** RIP. Personally, I would want to be a bit further south before risking making derogatory comments about kilts.

** I nearly added - and this was before the announcement that pubs in Scotland will be closed from Friday, due to Covid. But I have not yet moved to Guernsey / Gibralta / Falkland Islands.:worried:

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm not sure why he was on at the women, that isn't what I remember from the 70's, don't click on it, it's rather sick:

I don't like the way the musicians dressed but it brings back fond memories because someone played that 15 minutes before quitting time at work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, a big thank you to Strong in Him for the excellent replies to previous OP. I am sorry for the abuse you received.

You're welcome and thank you.
I was probably less than gracious in some of my replies. :( I considered reporting the forummer, but it looked like someone beat me to it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0