Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
hmm, well at the basic leval, like if the person does not believe it, but still follows the teachings of the Church then their is no real problem
as long as he has been to confession before and has fasted from food for an hour before mass

now if the person does not think that marriage is a sacrement and has lived a life of open rebelion, well that is differant, if there is bigamy or poligamy, marriage after a divorce, married outside the Church, well then the person would eating to his own destruction
First Corinthians 11:29-30
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. 30 Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a confirmed catholic doesn't agree that marriage is a sacrament, and then goes ahead and takes communion, what is the penalty?

Why would there be a penalty? Wouldn't it depend on if the person was already married? If the person is single and remains so, I don't know why their belief about marriage not being a sacrament would affect their ability to receive other sacraments.

Upvote 0

2WhomShallWeGo

May 13, 2010
been in the USA and Canada
✟1,635.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If a confirmed catholic doesn't agree that marriage is a sacrament, and then goes ahead and takes communion, what is the penalty?

The penalty is being wrong and the natural consequences that fall out from not being informed about something so important.

However if such a person begins to preach such things as the truth in opposition to the church the church could choose to excommunicate him or her although getting struck by lightning is probably more likely.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Catholics that have a Protestant mentality that they can believe what they want to tend to be labeled as "cafeteria" Catholics, as well some famous politicians who support prochoice and end of life issues inconsistent with the Church's teachings are really partaking the body and blood of Christ unworthily. The sacramental grace that they could recieve from partaking is really not being fully recieved. That is the penalty.

Now, in terms of other issues regarding marriage that might touch on the border of this question... I have in my own circumstance been married to a Japanese Shin Buddhist for 11 years. I became "confirmed" as a Catholic on Easter 2004. Is my marriage a sacrament? I can say for certain that mixed marriages are not sacramental. Hence, if my wife choose to divorce me, I would be under Pauline Privilege and could remarry a Catholic spouse.
However, the Catholic party should inquire about one of two possible solutions; one which I have recently come to hear about due to wanting to join the SFO and they were requesting documentation on baptism, confirmation, first communion, and marriage. When I discussed with the secretary to get this documentation, she suggested talking to the priest. The two solutions to the problem of mixed marriages is either "convalidation" or "radical sanation." In my case, I am preparing documentation for "radical sanation" to be approved of by the diocean bishop, due to my wife's not being a Christian. I am not sure, but I believe that if I get radical sanation that I do not think I could claim Pauline privilege should the natural marriage end in divorce.
It seems that "convalidation" on the other hand is a simple ceremony that renews the bond of marriage, should the marriage have been made outside the Catholic Church for various reasons from pregnancy, having a prior marriage, a mixed Christian marriage, and other such circumstances.

Regardless of the circumstances, the Catholic party should attempt to do all they can to see their commitments to their spouse, to the Church, and to God is being fulfilled properly.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you don't believe in one of the Sacraments how can you claim to believe in another?

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't believe in one of the Sacraments how can you claim to believe in another?

And to go further: how can you claim to be Catholic?

I believe this would normally be called a "cafeteria" Catholics where its a person of faith who picks what he/she wants to believe instead of having faith in all of the teachings the Church has.

Upvote 0
B

Berndt Totterman

Jesus,our Lords peace be with You.
Dear friend,marriege is a Sacrament,and a Holy Sacrament. I am not a priest,but I would think it would be good to not recievie communion,wich also is a Sacrament,untill You understand the meaning of a Sacrament. I am not angry,I am just a "old fashion" catholic who wants to keep Holy what Holy is. I will offer a Hail Mary for You and wish You all the best,and remember,priests are in the Church also to give advices.
Bless You.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2011
Boise, ID
✟15,112.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm more concerned about those Catholics who believe marriage is a sacrament because the Church teaches it, but then marry and don't treat it as such. They don't work at it, they have affairs, become self centered, and end up either living separate lives in common-law, or getting a divorce. All because they their actions spoke unbelief louder than their mouths belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
sorry . just saw the last post .

here's my question anyway .

I thought the only penalty for communion was if one did not discern the Lord's body?

aren't the two sacraments in question in relation to different mysteries?

Upvote 0

johpar0256

Jul 19, 2012
CT
✟15,150.00
Faith
Christian
And to go further: how can you claim to be Catholic?

I believe this would normally be called a "cafeteria" Catholics where its a person of faith who picks what he/she wants to believe instead of having faith in all of the teachings the Church has.

Hmm I just learned about this new term "cafeteria" Catholics. I got aimed on this. :blush:

I think people like this are just playing safe. And I get hit by this statement again. I feel so ashamed.

Upvote 0