small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible - an English Bible older than the KJV - must therefore be better than the KJV because God has kept it around so long, all the Apocrypha included. It serves just as many Christians as the KJV, just not the kind a KJV onlyist would agree with. Such flawed logic: "it's old, it must be true."

The Douay-Rheims version was published just two years before the KJV. The language used by the translators is so very similar that I suspect that most KJV onlyists could not tell the difference. I fact I have to wonder if the translators of the KJV made any use of it to clarify their own translation.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes.

""Instructions were given to the translators that were intended to limit the Puritan influence on this new translation. And "the King gave the translators instructions designed to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of the Church of England."

In addition:

"James' instructions included several requirements that kept the new translation familiar to its listeners and readers. The text of the Bishops' Bible would serve as the primary guide for the translators, and the familiar proper names of the biblical characters would all be retained. If the Bishops' Bible was deemed problematic in any situation, the translators were permitted to consult other translations from a pre-approved list: the Tyndale Bible, the Coverdale Bible, Matthew's Bible, the Great Bible, and the Geneva Bible. In addition, later scholars have detected an influence on the Authorized Version from the translations of Taverner's Bible and the New Testament of the Douay–Rheims Bible."

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟292,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Douay-Rheims version was published just two years before the KJV. The language used by the translators is so very similar that I suspect that most KJV onlyists could not tell the difference. I fact I have to wonder if the translators of the KJV made any use of it to clarify their own translation.

Douay-Rheims is Latin source text based based whereas King James is Greek source text based. They are good for complimentary comparisons and there are some interesting differences between them. Places where one expounds a bit better than the other because of the wording. It is worthwhile looking at the history of how the Douay was put together.

Luke 2:14 KJV Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Luke 2:14 DR Glory to God in the highest; and on earth peace to men of good will.

Genesis 3:15 KJV And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 3:15 DR I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

We accept 4 gospels which contribute to the fullness of the story, why can we not accept more than 1 translation?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is a lesson I learned in seminary that might help to explain the OP's question.

"The Bible does contain history, but it IS NOT a historical book."

Just remember, the Bible was never written to be a historical "document" even though it does contain history.

Salvation is not established on genealogies. Salvation is not defendant on some years that are missing.

The Holy Scriptures were, are, will be, forever focused on the finished work of God in Jesus Christ.

The whole theme of the scriptures from Genesis 1:1 to Rev. 21:16 is JESUS CHRIST!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course not!!. Ruckman was 100% wrong, when he make the absurd statement that you could correct the Greek with the AV. But it does run rings around any of those pitiful, despicable, gross modern versions, the NIV, ESV, ASV, ISV, NASB, etc. I do have a like-new used, hardbound NASB that I paid 25 cents for - I wuz robbed! I'll probably trash it just to get it out of circulation. Horrible piece of garbage.

I've used the KJV for 30 years and love the Elizabethan English. Only the KJV will produce tears in my eyes when reading the Gospels, especially John. I know where all the errors are in the KJV. When looking for some particular passage, I know where on the page (top, bottom, middle, left, right, etc.) to look for it. My 30 year old Oxford wide margin AV, with center notes, is held together with lots of scotch tape and it's very, very fragile, especially in Ephesians, easily the most spiritual book in the Bible. One of my mentors said that one should take their shoes off before they enter Ephesians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Deacon Dean,

No offense intended, Dean. As you said, Christ is in the 1st verse of the Bible, as the creator. However, He is also mentioned in the very last verse, Rev 22:21 and, spiritually, in every word in between. He speaks in Rev 22:20, the next to last verse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0