Is it okay for Christians to watch horror movies?

Zanyteen16

Mar 3, 2014
A Whole New World
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey I'm kinda new here and this is my first thread so here
It goes. My question: is it okay for Christians to watch horror
flicks? I've heard it said that horror films are bad because such images
tend to stick in your mind. True these things an stay in your head but
then again you get over them. Knowing this doesn't make it seem so
questionable but then the song about being careful of what you see
comes to mind. Is this song just someone's opinion or is it about something
else that doesn't involve horror films?

Movens

Feb 13, 2014
ilkley
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Being a liberal christian ( make that VERY liberal!! ) I think that if we start to question if we can watch movies , then its getting a bit to far. Watching movies is part of growing up , and unless its a totally anti god super die hard atheist film , there's nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An interesting topic here. Allow me to opine:

The horror genre in general is derived from fear (duh). What I mean is that the point of horror is to either scare you or unnerve you, giving you subtle shivers down your spine or making you scream out loud.

We Christians have a God who can overpower any horrifying entity that could be portrayed on a screen, if it ever "became real". I feel that by watching tons of horror movies and letting it become our favorite thing, we are basically becoming addicted to being scared. And in that process we're telling God, "I don't want your protection, I want to be scared and venture out of it!"

I never watched many horror movies, but my younger self loved creepypastas. Most of those aren't/weren't scary, but some were, and I remember not being able to sleep at night sometimes. Finally, I recognized my issue and stopped reading that stuff, realizing that I didn't really "enjoy" being scared anymore. Now I hardly go near the stuff since I'm not really interested in it anymore. I know what the supernatural world is like now with my Christian faith, and it's not that terrifying.

With that being said, there is such a thing as good horror that unnerves its audience with its content and tells a good story without actually scaring them directly. But that tends to not be made in the US.

So while it's perfectly fine for you to watch some horror movie or read some creepypasta or whatever on some appropriate occasion like Halloween, just don't get addicted to it like you would any other sort of idol.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
✟15,233.00
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everything you do in life will either bring you closer or further from the Lord & Heaven. If it pulls you away from Him, get rid of it (Matt. 5:30). If it brings you closer to Him, embrace it.

Only you can answer whether a horror movie brings you closer or further from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey I'm kinda new here and this is my first thread so here
It goes.
Welcome!!
My question: is it okay for Christians to watch horror
flicks?
No. I personally don't think it is..haha..
I've heard it said that horror films are bad because such images
tend to stick in your mind. True these things an stay in your head but
then again you get over them.
I recommend, then, with that last comment, to scroll through the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder forums...it's really hard to get over some of them...
Knowing this doesn't make it seem so
questionable but then the song about being careful of what you see
comes to mind. Is this song just someone's opinion or is it about something
else that doesn't involve horror films?
Are you referring to Slow Fade by Casting Crowns? That refers to a lot of things but I'm more certain it has to do with just family matters and relations concerning marriage.

Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟41,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I don't believe its OK.
22“Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. 23But when your eye is bad, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is!
Matthew 6:22-23
Also when we watch demonnic movies we are opening up doors in the spiritual realm that should never be open.

Upvote 0

RAnonUS19B

Christian
Feb 27, 2014
USA
✟9,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In my opinion it's perfectly fine as long as its not putting images and bad things into your head for days at a time or hours, I would recommend staying away from horror movies if you get anything bad from them, I personally like them but they get boring sense nothing scares me anymore. Only get creepyed out by creepypastas every once in a while now haha.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To me this is fine from a religious point of view. But I personally strongly advise against these movies for two reasons: firstly, they desensitize to horror and violence. Secondly they are mostly bad and uninteresting movies without any artistic research (apart the Silence of the Lambs perhaps): just showing violence and blood -and I can't see the interest, serioulsy...
If you want to watch something really scary and moving, watch a Hitchcock.

Upvote 0

Balhu

The Dark Knight
Feb 1, 2016
Indiana
✟7,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I tend to stay away from certain horror. While some supernatural horror is fun (X-Files, anyone?) it has a habit of crossing a line, sometimes way over the line, venturing to demonic themes one shouldn't watch. That doesn't happen often in my experience though.

From a non religious standpoint, I advise that you don't watch the cheap jumpscares, and stick with psychological horror. (Like Alien)

Upvote 0