Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with your last statement. Your paraphrasing of my words, though, is not what I said nor what I meant. Regarding keeping the Sabbath in the Church age, I offer this page. If you just want to skim to get to the meat, just go there and search the word "Sabbath". You'll see where I'm coming from on this. I pretty much agree with the points I'm seeing there.

Finally, though Jesus gave us over 40 "commandments", I really focus on two that sum up the entire thing for followers of Jesus. Love God, and love your neighbor. Everything - EVERYTHING - falls under those two commandments. And yes, one way we love God is by keeping His commandments. But I'm not a part of Israel. I don't sacrifice animals, and I don't tithe either. ;)
I don't need to read it to know what it says.

So you're one of the the people who say I will give God as little as I can? I figure I owe Him a lot. I owe Him all I have and all I am as He gave everything He had to give, His life.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't need to read it to know what it says.

So you're one of the the people who say I will give God as little as I can? I figure I owe Him a lot. I owe Him all I have and all I am as He gave everything He had to give, His life.
No. I'm one of the people that sez my salvation is not based on "how much I give". We were created as his imager on this particular planet. We are his caretakers of this world. And there are two aspects of that job that Jesus made very clear to us:
Jesus replied: “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" (Matthew 22:37-40, Mark 12:28-34, Luke 10:25-28)

I do my best to follow both, knowing that he's not going to fire me if I'm not his star employee. It doesn't mean I don't try to be, but it sure takes the pressure off. ;)

I see Christians as a kid that is the son of a very rich man who tells his son to clean up his room. Now, I know my father's personality and he has said clearly that he will not write me out of the will if I don't clean up my room. That doesn't mean I don't need to clean up my room, though. What it does mean is that he loves me and he's not going to disown me if I don't clean up my room. It means I have free will and a choice. And I choose to clean up my room. But if I should ever NOT clean up my room, I'll suffer consequences, but as a teaching opportunity to learn to be better.

The other kid whos father is also rich is told to clean up his room. And his father, Allah, WILL write him out of the will if he doesn't do it. My father is a bit more forgiving. But still, as stated in Romans 6, it doesn't give me carte blanch to ignore His will. And my actions don't show those of a loving obedient child if I choose not to clean up my room.

I could go on, but I think you get my drift. When it comes to the commandments of God, we Christians are, IMO, given permission to be "spirit of the law" people rather than "letter of the law" people. And this matters since many of those laws are less than reliably translated and/or transliterated in our modern bibles. i.e. I don't see the bible as "the" word of God. Rather, I believe it contains the word of God. And in the Spirit of 2 Timothy 3-16,17, I'll take the LXX over the limited scope of books contained in our modern English Bibles.

And we all literally owe him our life since he created it. But it's better to use it to His benefit rather than become "so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good." That's why I'm not a monk living in the mountains somewhere. That's not what he created us for. IMO, of course.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. I'm one of the people that sez my salvation is not based on "how much I give". We were created as his imager on this particular planet. We are his caretakers of this world. And there are two aspects of that job that Jesus made very clear to us:
Jesus replied: “'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" (Matthew 22:37-40, Mark 12:28-34, Luke 10:25-28)

I do my best to follow both, knowing that he's not going to fire me if I'm not his star employee. It doesn't mean I don't try to be, but it sure takes the pressure off. ;)

I see Christians as a kid that is the son of a very rich man who tells his son to clean up his room. Now, I know my father's personality and he has said clearly that he will not write me out of the will if I don't clean up my room. That doesn't mean I don't need to clean up my room, though. What it does mean is that he loves me and he's not going to disown me if I don't clean up my room. It means I have free will and a choice. And I choose to clean up my room. But if I should ever NOT clean up my room, I'll suffer consequences, but as a teaching opportunity to learn to be better.

The other kid whos father is also rich is told to clean up his room. And his father, Allah, WILL write him out of the will if he doesn't do it. My father is a bit more forgiving. But still, as stated in Romans 6, it doesn't give me carte blanch to ignore His will. And my actions don't show those of a loving obedient child if I choose not to clean up my room.

I could go on, but I think you get my drift. When it comes to the commandments of God, we Christians are, IMO, given permission to be "spirit of the law" people rather than "letter of the law" people. And this matters since many of those laws are less than reliably translated and/or transliterated in our modern bibles. i.e. I don't see the bible as "the" word of God. Rather, I believe it contains the word of God. And in the Spirit of 2 Timothy 3-16,17, I'll take the LXX over the limited scope of books contained in our modern English Bibles.

And we all literally owe him our life since he created it. But it's better to use it to His benefit rather than become "so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good." That's why I'm not a monk living in the mountains somewhere. That's not what he created us for. IMO, of course.
So, in your analogy the rich dad would never get angry with his kid if he never cleaned his room. He just refused every time he was asked.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, in your analogy the rich dad would never get angry with his kid if he never cleaned his room. He just refused every time he was asked.
To simplify it, yes, sort of. That is, that kid's disobedience would lead to a "hell on earth" life in this reality and in the afterlife he'd be the guy mentioned in 1 Cor 3:15.

Honestly, I'm so thankful that Jesus does not put a limit on God's forgiveness. What a great Dad!

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To simplify it, yes, sort of. That is, that kid's disobedience would lead to a "hell on earth" life in this reality and in the afterlife he'd be the guy mentioned in 1 Cor 3:15.

Honestly, I'm so thankful that Jesus does not put a limit on God's forgiveness. What a great Dad!
So you believe works are what people do to be saved?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you believe works are what people do to be saved?
I thought I was communicating exactly the opposite. That is certainly what I meant by quoting 1 cor 3. The whole point is that he is still saved, in spite of his works or lack thereof. However, works seem to determine your reward beyond simple eternal life. I suppose in "eternity" some will have nicer* houses than others.:)

*I'm simply pointing out that I see "eternal life" as the universal gift of God to the believer, but it goes beyond that, otherwise it would not say what it does in 1 Cor 3.

I find it necessary more than I should, I think to have to say "that's not what I said". I already know I'm a pretty good communicator in forums (I've been doing it since 1997 and have gotten a lot of feedback in that area), but sometimes I find myself discussing topics with people who either really don't want to hear the points I'm making or don't actually read much of my posts. I admit that I can often get long winded, but sometimes a reading of my full post will actually answer the question the person is asking me.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I thought I was communicating exactly the opposite. That is certainly what I meant by quoting 1 cor 3. The whole point is that he is still saved, in spite of his works or lack thereof. However, works seem to determine your reward beyond simple eternal life. I suppose in "eternity" some will have nicer* houses than others.:)

*I'm simply pointing out that I see "eternal life" as the universal gift of God to the believer, but it goes beyond that, otherwise it would not say what it does in 1 Cor 3.

I find it necessary more than I should, I think to have to say "that's not what I said". I already know I'm a pretty good communicator in forums (I've been doing it since 1997 and have gotten a lot of feedback in that area), but sometimes I find myself discussing topics with people who either really don't want to hear the points I'm making or don't actually read much of my posts. I admit that I can often get long winded, but sometimes a reading of my full post will actually answer the question the person is asking me.
You have quoted the text a couple times that says their works shall be burned up. As I don't believe the same way you do how can you expect me to understand what you mean?

To me you are saying people are saved by their works.

I'll tell you how I read the text. The works we do are for others. God uses us to help spread the Gospel and thus if we build that foundation upon flammable material, error, our works will be burnt up as we have not taught people the truth and people live out their beliefs. That is how we suffer loss, but we still have the opportunity to be saved if we repent and change our minds.

The devil has been deceiving people since he sinned in heaven. What cost him? His beliefs that he could defeat God. He has been living out that belief ever since.

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have quoted the text a couple times that says their works shall be burned up. As I don't believe the same way you do how can you expect me to understand what you mean?

To me you are saying people are saved by their works.

I'll tell you how I read the text. The works we do are for others. God uses us to help spread the Gospel and thus if we build that foundation upon flammable material, error, our works will be burnt up as we have not taught people the truth and people live out their beliefs. That is how we suffer loss, but we still have the opportunity to be saved if we repent and change our minds.

The devil has been deceiving people since he sinned in heaven. What cost him? His beliefs that he could defeat God. He has been living out that belief ever since.
I'm saying that they are saved by belief, but their rewards will be determined by their works. i.e. you make it on the ark by believing. But if you never did your chores on the boat you might find that you live in a mud hut after the "flood" while thee guy that did his chores lives in a nice place and drives a Cadillac.

Obviously that's just an analogy, but I think you get my drift. :)

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think "The Devil" is usually referring to an elohim's particular job description rather than a particular person in the elohim.

Note: I noticed spell check really wants me to capitalize elohim. Capitalizing that word is like capitalizing "fish" or "mamal", or even "human". Elohim is merely the name of the inhabitants of the unseen realm. God is The Elohim. The head guy. The rest of them bear the name as a mere description. And "devil/satan" is like "angel". It's a job description, like "janitor". It's why we see the phrase "get behind me satan" directed at Peter. Jesus was calling him what the word means in English: "adversary".

And for some reason unknown by me, God actually created adversaries.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm saying that they are saved by belief, but their rewards will be determined by their works. i.e. you make it on the ark by believing. But if you never did your chores on the boat you might find that you live in a mud hut after the "flood" while thee guy that did his chores lives in a nice place and drives a Cadillac.

Obviously that's just an analogy, but I think you get my drift. :)
There are scriptures that directly refute once saved always saved.

2Peter 2: 20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Hebrews 6: 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,299.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is. In God's final warning messages to the world we find a call to worship the Creator.
Revelation 14:6-7
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The call to worship in Revelation 14:7 brings us back to the Sabbath Commandment which God set aside specifically for holy purposes:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Throughout the scriptures we can see an emphasis on the recognition of the Creator.
Revelation 4:11
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nehemiah 9:6
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Psalm 33:6
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Psalm 96:4-5
4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

Psalm 121:1-2
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

Acts 4:24
And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

By keeping the Sabbath holy, as He commanded us, we show our love for Him and give recognition of His authority in our life.
1 John 5:1-3
1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Now some people say it doesn't matter what day we worship and God doesn't care, but He does.
Isaiah 58:14
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: 14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

And Christ Himself set for us the example...
Luke 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
We keep the Sabbath by having Christ dwelling in our hearts by faith. He has become our Sabbath, whom we worship in Spirit and in truth, seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We keep the Sabbath by having Christ dwelling in our hearts by faith. He has become our Sabbath, whom we worship in Spirit and in truth, seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
Scripture please.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I see nothing in Hebrews 4 that says Jesus is our rest.

Hebrews 4: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 4: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Hi Gary, just checking... are you thinking of that as Jesus of Nazareth or the "Jesus" who led the Israelites into Canaan?

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are one and the same person.
Are you saying that these two passages refer to the same person?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you saying that these two passages refer to the same person?

Huh? What are you talking about? Hebrews 4 doesn't mention Joshua.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,299.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

If you wish to hold to the Old Testament Jewish Sabbath, instead of looking to Jesus as your Sabbath rest, that is your choice. My Sabbath (Jesus) dwells in my heart through faith and that is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you wish to hold to the Old Testament Jewish Sabbath, instead of looking to Jesus as your Sabbath rest, that is your choice. My Sabbath (Jesus) dwells in my heart through faith and that is good enough for me.
So it doesn't bother you in the least that you hold a non-Biblical belief?

Upvote 0