Visit site
✟342,055.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some people need a constant supply of free fish as they are unable or unwilling to fish for themselves. The consequences of not providing the fish to them would be greater than the cost of providing the fish.
*Catfisher* long journey's friend to keep the captives alive.

Johnny come lately ;)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As you are ignoring the rest of the NT on the subject?

As in considering the whole counsel of God on the subject, rather than just part of it?
"Without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

So the principle is: truth is based on "emphasis," what is not emphasized, therefore, not being true...

Where did you say you learned hermeneutics?

That "theological formula" happening to be the God-breathed Scriptures (2 Timothy 3:16).
Imagine that. . .using the word of God written to present your argument!
What a concept!

Right. . .no pat on the back for your "principle of emphasis."

For some reason, you prefer to consider only parts of the NT, rather than the whole counsel of God.
I suspect the whole counsel of God does not fit into your theology.

How novel.
Until the weightier matters of the teachings are given respect, a theology can hardly claim to speak of the whole counsel of God.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare73 said:
"Without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14).
Until the weightier matters of the teachings are given respect, a theology can hardly claim to speak of the whole counsel of God.
I'm saying Hebrews 12:14 is as weighty as it gets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟342,055.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A level playing field as a starting point is a complete fiction.

A complete fiction, as it should be. Who promised a level playing field?

Put a chipmunk and a lion on a bare level field and see what happens.

It seems the post I was responding to has been edited, and I can't now remember exactly what it said. I think the point I was responding to is that we don't all have the same starting point, so not everybody is able to "make it" in our society without support.

So... we support. And we change society where we can. That's social justice, and in this forum, it's not up for debate. So please, if you want to argue that all the human "chipmunks" should be left to die, or whatnot, take it to somewhere like the Ethics forum.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems the post I was responding to has been edited, and I can't now remember exactly what it said. I think the point I was responding to is that we don't all have the same starting point, so not everybody is able to "make it" in our society without support.

So... we support. And we change society where we can. That's social justice, and in this forum, it's not up for debate. So please, if you want to argue that all the human "chipmunks" should be left to die, or whatnot, take it to somewhere like the Ethics forum.

The 800 pound gorilla in the room regarding social justice is... is there room for tough love, which is what I have been subtly suggesting. The question isn't whether we should help the disadvantaged, but how.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's justice brings glory unto Himself and is perfect. Man's justice is flawed and imperfect. Better to follow God than a man. Join those who pray to the Father for the lives of the unborn babies, and march to end the injustice for those who are excluded from participation, denied an education, prevented at the onset from playing on the field, executed in the mother's womb. Abortions worldwide this year will exceed 26 million unborn babies.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess it all depends how you define "tough love." If it refuses to address unjust structures, then maybe it's only perpetuating the problem.

Tough love might include an honest assessment of our problems in the clear light of day. Perhaps a rational criteria could be fashioned to assess them before we march off in all directions trying to solve them.

Changing attitudes and behaviors begin with education. Sadly our educational system doesn't address this. So there is an 'unjust structure' in our educational system, which keeps students in the dark regarding what they are supposed to be learning, and worse, allows the students to manage their own schoolhouse society. Worse yet is the fact that teachers and administrators largely come from the same background.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's been my observation that when our educational system does try to change attitudes and behaviours, the backlash is strong. (Eg. the Safe Schools and Respectful Relationships materials which were so controversial in Australia).

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So if you don't have it, it means your faith is dead.
There are all kinds of reasons why people do or don't do what they should. with giving, it is often a matter of fear. So yes, many people struggle with many areas in their Christian lives. As Christians mature, fears will be overcome and the Christian become freer. Faith comes by revelation of the word of God. So it is necessary for an individual to receive the revelation from God with respect to every aspect of the Christian life. Some issues run deep. A person raised in poverty may struggle to give while a rich person may find it easy. I would be very careful about being judgemental. It will come back to bite you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Tough love might include an honest assessment of our problems in the clear light of day. Perhaps a rational criteria could be fashioned to assess them before we march off in all directions trying to solve them.

Changing attitudes and behaviors begin with education. Sadly our educational system doesn't address this. So there is an 'unjust structure' in our educational system, which keeps students in the dark regarding what they are supposed to be learning, and worse, allows the students to manage their own schoolhouse society. Worse yet is the fact that teachers and administrators largely come from the same background.
You won't change human nature through education. People need new hearts, not new teaching or old teaching restored.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it all depends how you define "tough love." If it refuses to address unjust structures, then maybe it's only perpetuating the problem.

I think the recognition of unjust structures is why we see a difference between Solomon and Jesus with regard to the poor.

Solomon--in the Promised Land with a Mosaic Law that prevented a multi-generational accumulation of wealth (or poverty) could characterize poverty as a result of indolence.

But by the time of Jesus, those elements of the Mosaic Law had been long ignored. I believe Jesus (as well as His apostles, including Paul) did see poverty as a matter of unjust structures.

• Informative
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You won't change human nature through education. People need new hearts, not new teaching or old teaching restored.

Regardless of human nature our kids need to be properly educated. Which means that they should be educated for their own benefit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's been my observation that when our educational system does try to change attitudes and behaviours, the backlash is strong. (Eg. the Safe Schools and Respectful Relationships materials which were so controversial in Australia).

We're having a pretty strong backlash here against the teaching of 'critical race theory'.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the recognition of unjust structures is why we see a difference between Solomon and Jesus with regard to the poor.

Solomon--in the Promised Land with a Mosaic Law that prevented a multi-generational accumulation of wealth (or poverty) could characterize poverty as a result of indolence.

But by the time of Jesus, those elements of the Mosaic Law had been long ignored. I believe Jesus (as well as His apostles, including Paul) did see poverty as a matter of unjust structures.

Oh that our government could live on ten percent taxation. Most could build generational wealth. ;)

I believe that poverty in the west today is mainly due to ignorance and self-indulgence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0