Is humanity a superorganism that crosses the barrier of time?

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟606,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you think about the systems of governance and law that began in ancient Greece, and Rome, and the agricultural and farming techniques of ancient Samaria, and then the trade techniques of Asia and later the Netherlands, and then the technological innovations of the 20th century that built the foundation of industry... It seems that our predecessors have been paving the path that we now travel on, and which we contribute to in our time, and which future generations will contribute to as time carries on.

What separates humans from leaf-cutter ants, it seems, is that the ants operate in the "now", whereas humans operate collectively across time, spanning hundreds or thousands of years, working on a much larger, more advanced project... And it appears it's our ability to document information in books and through oral speech that allows us to cross over time, like no other.

...I wonder if it's agreeable as a concept that humans have evolved to become a superorganism that crosses time.

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟261,446.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you think about the systems of governance and law that began in ancient Greece, and Rome, and the agricultural and farming techniques of ancient Samaria, and then the trade techniques of Asia and later the Netherlands, and then the technological innovations of the 20th century that built the foundation of industry... It seems that our predecessors have been paving the path that we now travel on, and which we contribute to in our time, and which future generations will contribute to as time carries on.

What separates humans from leaf-cutter ants, it seems, is that the ants operate in the "now", whereas humans operate collectively across time, spanning hundreds or thousands of years, working on a much larger, more advanced project... And it appears it's our ability to document information in books and through oral speech that allows us to cross over time, like no other.

...I wonder if it's agreeable as a concept that humans have evolved to become a superorganism that crosses time.

Exactly right, Landon. Once you evolve the power of speech and then develop writing, we don't have to reinvent the wheel each generation.

I read only yesterday that the Aborigines of Tasmania were the most basic of societies. Cut off from Australia's mainland there was no interaction with other people to pick up hints and tips as to the best way to farm, or hunt or even make fire*. Isolate a group and the knowledge is generational at best. Mix with others and you advance a lot quicker. It becomes algebraic rather than arithmetic.

Edit: A claim made in a 1978 documentary by Rhys Jones. It remains controversial, with some suggesting that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Whilst I agree in principle with what you say, I might add that the time which humans clearly cross over there, is also a concept which I think may well be limited to only humans(?)
.. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen another animal or insect walkin' 'round looking at its wristwatch .. or mine, for that matter(?) ;)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Exactly right, Landon. Once you evolve the power of speech and then develop writing, we don't have to reinvent the wheel each generation.

I read only yesterday that the Aborigines of Tasmania were the most basic of societies. Cut off from Australia's mainland there was no interaction with other people to pick up hints and tips as to the best way to farm, or hunt or even make fire. Isolate a group and the knowledge is generational at best. Mix with others and you advance a lot quicker. It becomes algebraic rather than arithmetic.
Geometric rather than linear(?)

I was unaware that indigenous Tasmanians had difficultites in lighting fires there, too(?)
That seems a bit of a stretch to me(?) Fire lighting techniques surely depends on the immediate environment/climate on finds oneself in? Ie: it should be dead simple in dry desert and way more diffcult in the wet Tasmanian rainforests?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We're a parasite.
Super organism that crosses time? Does parasite qualify?

I'm afraid I have to agree. How about "super organism parasites"??

Parasites don't really qualify, because they are so short-sighted, they'd work blindly in complete ignorance of negative consequences of their unrelenting greed until they kill their host and eventually killing everyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What separates humans from leaf-cutter ants, it seems, is that the ants operate in the "now", whereas humans operate collectively across time, spanning hundreds or thousands of years, working on a much larger, more advanced project...

I'm afraid, you have it the other way around.

The ants have always done their best to help contribute towards a sustainable environment for everyone for the benefit for future generations.

What humanity has done is destroy God's creatures. We have caused mass extinction of many species of animals and plants.

And eventually, we have come to the point of making the planet uninhabitable for most people in the coming decades. And finally, we have created and deliberately master planned our own demise.

If humanity can perceive the future in some way, then why are we trying to kill ourselves? Then we're not "super organisms". We're nothing more than suicidal maniacs. Like a someone trying kill themself by hijacking a plane full of people and diving it, screaming towards the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,505.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Parasites don't really qualify, because they are so short-sighted, they'd work blindly in complete ignorance of negative consequences of their unrelenting greed until they kill their host and eventually killing everyone else.
Most parasites don't kill their hosts. It's only when they accidentally cross species that they do real damage.

Upvote 0

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟651.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Immaterial things aren't subject to time. Time limits things with physical properties due to decay (you could say decay of motion). That's one of the many problems with evolutionary thinking, it posits that only matter exists and yet the very means of recognising the process of evolution is inherently immaterial (information). A super-natural organism is probably a more apt & biblical way of describing us as in order to say the very thing we are you first presuppose something immaterial (knowledge, symbolic recognition, information) that dwells & resides within each person. Therefore we are not solely a natural organism as immateriality has no physical properties

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟651.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The amount of people comfortable with calling humanity parasitic and in need of extermination is astounding. Especially given that Christ has redeemed us. If you're of a non Christian persuasion, don't you need to first recognise that the fact that you can call anything 'bad' at all is because you're using human reason? The very nature of your disagreements with humanity comes from the framework of humanity itself. You're unable to say why one thing is bad without first realising that the concept of bad only exists because you do. The only way to escape this is to appeal to something transcendent that justifies the belief that we're bad, otherwise it's just conjecture.

If you're a Christian, the effects of sin =/= humanity is inherently vile. What it means is that sin (& it's corrupting influence) is vile. Without sin, as witnessed in Christ, humanity is "very good" (Genesis 1:31).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

If that is true, I'm wondering if it has any relevance to the afterlife. For example, the fact that we are collectively the dwelling place of God, and the body of Christ.

Or, rather, maybe, just to the metaphysical aspect of this world. There are things in Scripture that might seem to deal with this —for example: Satan being the god of this world, or the ruler of this world.

For what it is worth, though, don't let words drive your logic. For example, "across time" can go from a poetic thought that vaguely assumes time is absolute, and will always exist, and so far we have occupied a large portion of it, and that our assessment of it is of some worth; to a technical view of "so far so good, so maybe after this life...". There's maybe something huge here, and maybe nothing at all. I would suggest not getting too carried away with it.

A healthy dose of self-skepticism should be good to keep us from wandering down that path too purposefully. But it is a fun thought.

Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'd say that definition is precisely why parasite applies.

Now we read of members of the top 1% spending their millions, (billions), on technology that will let them travel to and survive off world.

Why?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Beats me how some people can even bring themselves to get out of the comfort of their beds in the morning, switch on their hi tech, resource consuming, equipment for a coffee, before bashing out messages of hatred to the rest of the world using their hi tech, resource consuming, computers?
(I mean: given how much they hate what they really are?)

Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was unaware that indigenous Tasmanians had difficultites in lighting fires there, too(?)
That seems a bit of a stretch to me(?) Fire lighting techniques surely depends on the immediate environment/climate on finds oneself in? Ie: it should be dead simple in dry desert and way more diffcult in the wet Tasmanian rainforests?
What's fascinating is that all of creation follows the formula of Geometry.

Edit to change YT link

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

I have become comfortably numb.
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟261,446.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It surprised me as well. I only read it a couple of days ago and I must admit to repeating it without any further investivation. Which I will do today.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟131,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
The amount of people comfortable with calling humanity parasitic and in need of extermination is astounding.

humanity is above the animal realm … below the angelic realm

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,801.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What's fascinating is that all of creation follows the formula of Geometry.
More like geometry is an effective way for us to describe, thus model, our observations of regular patterns.
The link takes one to gaming links. I suppose games are yet other creations of the human mind ..

Upvote 0