Nov 12, 2008
✟245,678.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ok well is the universe Infinite or finite?
I have no idea and frankly only a minimal amount of interest in that question. It is certainly not relevant to my point, which was the contrast between faith based and evidence based world views.

What proof do you have for your answer?
As you can no doubt see my answer is not one that requires proof. Moreover, since you are responding to my post, perhaps you can go back and read it and this time note my rejection of the importance of proof in my world view. Science does not prove things. It does disprove some things, but mainly it gathers evidence and fashions explanation that represent our best current understanding of the different aspects of the universe. If new evidence emerges, or different perspectives are developed that understanding may change.

There is a way of dividing people into two groups: those who are comfortable with uncertainty and those who are not. Obviously that is a simplistic division, but it does give some insight into the disparity of thought between scientists and fundamentalists. Scientists are perfectly fine with the knowledge that today's best explantion could be overturned in a moment. That readiness to reject the old, based upon evidence, is one of the strengths of science. In my experience, fundamentalists generally see it as a weakness.

Why do we dream? Oh you have never had a dream have you and if you have had one, how can you prove you had one and that it wasn't reality?
I was very interested in dreaming half a century ago. I know it remains an area of active research and there are a number of hypotheses to account for it. I am not current with any of them, but they all are based upon rigorous, peer reviewed research where evidence is key.

As noted above I cannot prove I have had a dream. And I see no need whatsoever to do so. Why do you think it's important?

I do seem to have regular dreams. They seem to sufficiently differ from my waking experiences that they represent a different milieu. The massive amount of experience and investigation of dreaming strongly points to dreams being internal activities of the brain. So, for practical reasons, I accept that as the best current explantion. If you have a better one I should be delighted to hear it. Remember it needs to be supported by a massive quantity of evidence if it is to replace my practical, current evidence based explanation.

What science can you offer?
As I note above I am not up to date with dream theory. The tone of your post leads me to question the sincerity of the question. Are you genuinely interested in science's current views on the nature and mechanisms of dreaming, or do you imagine that such a question will somehow befuddle me? If it is the former I shall take the time to find some review papers on the subject and pass these to you. Let me know.

And if people came from Apes why are there still apes,
Please! Are you serious? If I came from my great, great grandfather, why do I have distant cousins? You concede, I hope that I have distant cousins, as - very likely - do you. I am not identical to my distant cousins, yet they exist and we share a common ancestor. So it is with the other apes and humans. They too are distant cousins, just a lot more distant.

And if people came from Apes why are there still apes, that dont talk and why haven't any other species advanced like us?
Advanced intelligence doesn't seem to be necessary for success at living. (Just look at how well Covid has done and in some biologists minds it isn't even alive.) Certainly, for the last several thousand years we would have made pretty certain that nothing too smart got to remain around as a potential threat to us.

Also how did we get the pyramids? They have tried to reconstruct them like Egyptians. Couldn't be done so how do they fit into your reality?
Please. There are many excellent books on Egyptian history and on the construction of the pyramids. If you want me to educate you on such matters I charge $150/hour. You will find it cheaper to buy one of the books. But just so you know, the construction methods of the pyramids are quite well understood and the techniques employed have been duplicated and tested.

How do they fit into my reality? They represent an interesting phase of my life. I've been inside Cheops more times than I've been to a football match. And the evidence tells us who built them, when they built them and why they built them. And that is a great deal more fascinating and magnificent than a cart load of risible bunkum peddled by paltroons and shysters. I advise you to avoid that sort of nonsense, look the actual evidence in the face and be amazed.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have no idea and frankly only a minimal amount of interest in that question. It is certainly not relevant to my point, which was the contrast between faith based and evidence based world views.

As you can no doubt see my answer is not one that requires proof. Moreover, since you are responding to my post, perhaps you can go back and read it and this time note my rejection of the importance of proof in my world view. Science does not prove things. It does disprove some things, but mainly it gathers evidence and fashions explanation that represent our best current understanding of the different aspects of the universe. If new evidence emerges, or different perspectives are developed that understanding may change.

There is a way of dividing people into two groups: those who are comfortable with uncertainty and those who are not. Obviously that is a simplistic division, but it does give some insight into the disparity of thought between scientists and fundamentalists. Scientists are perfectly fine with the knowledge that today's best explantion could be overturned in a moment. That readiness to reject the old, based upon evidence, is one of the strengths of science. In my experience, fundamentalists generally see it as a weakness.

I was very interested in dreaming half a century ago. I know it remains an area of active research and there are a number of hypotheses to account for it. I am not current with any of them, but they all are based upon rigorous, peer reviewed research where evidence is key.

As noted above I cannot prove I have had a dream. And I see no need whatsoever to do so. Why do you think it's important?

I do seem to have regular dreams. They seem to sufficiently differ from my waking experiences that they represent a different milieu. The massive amount of experience and investigation of dreaming strongly points to dreams being internal activities of the brain. So, for practical reasons, I accept that as the best current explantion. If you have a better one I should be delighted to hear it. Remember it needs to be supported by a massive quantity of evidence if it is to replace my practical, current evidence based explanation.

As I note above I am not up to date with dream theory. The tone of your post leads me to question the sincerity of the question. Are you genuinely interested in science's current views on the nature and mechanisms of dreaming, or do you imagine that such a question will somehow befuddle me? If it is the former I shall take the time to find some review papers on the subject and pass these to you. Let me know.

Please! Are you serious? If I came from my great, great grandfather, why do I have distant cousins? You concede, I hope that I have distant cousins, as - very likely - do you. I am not identical to my distant cousins, yet they exist and we share a common ancestor. So it is with the other apes and humans. They too are distant cousins, just a lot more distant.

Advanced intelligence doesn't seem to be necessary for success at living. (Just look at how well Covid has done and in some biologists minds it isn't even alive.) Certainly, for the last several thousand years we would have made pretty certain that nothing too smart got to remain around as a potential threat to us.

Please. There are many excellent books on Egyptian history and on the construction of the pyramids. If you want me to educate you on such matters I charge $150/hour. You will find it cheaper to buy one of the books. But just so you know, the construction methods of the pyramids are quite well understood and the techniques employed have been duplicated and tested.

How do they fit into my reality? They represent an interesting phase of my life. I've been inside Cheops more times than I've been to a football match. And the evidence tells us who built them, when they built them and why they built them. And that is a great deal more fascinating and magnificent than a cart load of risible bunkum peddled by paltroons and shysters. I advise you to avoid that sort of nonsense, look the actual evidence in the face and be amazed.
My point was that your actual experiences with dreaming do not prove anything to anyone else but you that you do it but your experiences with dreaming are enough for you to know for a fact that you do it. You don't need any other proof. You have been given enough evidence to not need to give sources to anyone. You know and that is good enough. Now to try and tell someone who has never remembered any of their dreams that dreams are real would be difficult. Without them having tbe experience for themselves, all the science in the world will not put dreams in their reality until they experience one. They simply cannot relate without a point of reference. Much is the same with God really. Science has produced all kinds of evidence of the existence of God yet more people doubt Him now than ever! So what is true for you may not be true for me- and though it is very unfortunate, that is ok. I cannot expect you to understand what you have never experienced, or relate to what led me to believe what I know to be 100% true. I liked your response. Thank you.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
My point was that your actual experiences with dreaming do not prove anything to anyone else but you that you do it but your experiences with dreaming are enough for you to know for a fact that you do it. You don't need any other proof. You have been given enough evidence to not need to give sources to anyone. You know and that is good enough. Now to try and tell someone who has never remembered any of their dreams that dreams are real would be difficult. Without them having tbe experience for themselves, all the science in the world will not put dreams in their reality until they experience one. They simply cannot relate without a point of reference. Much is the same with God really. Science has produced all kinds of evidence of the existence of God yet more people doubt Him now than ever! So what is true for you may not be true for me- and though it is very unfortunate, that is ok. I cannot expect you to understand what you have never experienced, or relate to what led me to believe what I know to be 100% true. I liked your response. Thank you.
I think your analogy between God and dreams is more apt than you may have intended... people have experiences involving both but no evidence that the content of either is real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 298111This is scary to me. These things will be in peoples hair and will be buzzing so loud that you can barely speak to someone without yelling. Billions of these things are coming out of the ground. This is so gross.
Happens like every 15 years. It's not a big deal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
of course… dreams are real
I should pay attention
look for the meaning…
Dreams are real experiences, but their content is imaginary. If there is meaning in them it is likely to reflect unconscious processes. I'm often surprised at how my dream-state consciousness can be surprised by the unconscious narrative event generation in dreams.

There are several plausible hypotheses for the function of dreams, and they may be multi-modal - for example, they may be part of the process of storing and refreshing long-term memory, and/or they may reflect deep anxieties (getting lost, losing stuff, being late for important stuff, being caught out, being exposed, not having done work for exams, job, etc), and/or they may be a way to rehearse responses to unusual situations, and/or they may be a way to prevent our behavioural responses becoming too entrained by our relatively narrow set of experiences by introducing exotic experiential 'noise' into the system (something that has been found necessary in some complex AI systems). Those last two are probably related.

Other hypotheses are available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟131,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
Dreams are real experiences, but their content is imaginary. If there is meaning in them it is likely to reflect unconscious processes.

Other hypotheses are available.

People have always realized dreams are meaningful…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟245,678.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

People have always realized dreams are meaningful…
People have routinely misunderstood the meaning. Read Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams to see how badly wrong one can go. I am confident you could give Freud a run for his money.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cobras are very impressive creatures. We even
have the king cobra here. Dangerous of course but you'd almost have to try, to get bitten.
Snake charmers prefer them 2 to 1.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They breed to come out again 17 years later? So are the ones who emerge young or are they 17 years old?

The ones that are coming out have spent the last 17 years underground in their immature form. They have now become adults and are coming out to reproduce. Once they have done that, they will die, and the young the produce now will spend the next 17 years underground and repeat the cycle.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0