May 16, 2015
✟121,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
After Bf52s continuous repetitive posting it's apparent he may have even gone so far as to remove the 2nd chapter of James from his Bible.

One gets the impression he believes that "works" in James 2:14-26 can't possibly apply to one's post salvation NT Faith. Bf52 could be hung up on ultra-Calvinist doctrine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟73,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That implies Bf52 (or you) misinterpret James use of "works" as a carnal faith instead of a God given Faith. Bf52
apparently believes that "works" is a poor translation when referring to the evidence of man's post-salvation Faith.

"God's Faith given" results in "works" (good fruit Gal. 5:22-23) being manifest with one's post-salvation Faith.

"Works" in James 2:14-26 refers to the evidence of "God's faith given" ... not carnal works or religious works.
I agree!

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟51,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to derail the thread, but as much as what you say sound reasonable I wonder if we aren't supposed to know we are saved...

You don't need to answer. :)
No need to wonder...
  • We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. (1 Jn 3:14)
  • These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life (1 Jn 5:13)
And concerning the final judgment, it is not our deeds that causes us to survive the judgment...

And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Re 20:15)​

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟73,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If its God given Faith then one is regenerated, Faith is the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22. If a person bases their Justification before Gods Law and Justice on their faith, act of believing, its works based Salvation.
There is a lot of scripture you don’t seem to be knowledgeable of. You are using reason or logic, which is man’s reasoning, instead of recognizing God is Spirit, and His ways are Higher than man’s. That’s why we need to be taught by the Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:sigh: Ok, continue to focus on one part of Scripture while ignoring the rest. along with ignoring the historic teachings of Christianity, reason, et al. Any right works (not works of the law) come from and are motivated by God. And yet they are necessary. Because we can avoid them, we can fail to do His will, we can fail to love, to put it another way. Scripture conditions salvation on those works of grace.

In Matt 19 Jesus tells the rich young man that he must obey the commandments to enter life, In Matt 25 the wicked and lazy servant who refused to invest his talents was thrown outside, and in the same chapter those who did "for the least of these" entered the kingdom.

"To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." Rom 2:7

"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom 2:13

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God." Rom 8:12-14

Faith leads to a changed heart and doing, or else it's worthless, un-salvific. Paul:
"...if I have a faith that can move mountains but have not love, I am nothing."
"The only thing that counts is faith working through love."
Gal 5:6

It's God's work...in us. Augustine:
"Without love faith may indeed exist, but avails nothing."
“If, then, your good merits are God’s gifts, God does not crown your merits as your merits, but as His own gifts.”
If you condition salvation on your works, that a false salvation

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a lot of scripture you don’t seem to be knowledgeable of. You are using reason or logic, which is man’s reasoning, instead of recognizing God is Spirit, and His ways are Higher than man’s. That’s why we need to be taught by the Spirit.
If you condition your salvation on something you do, its works religion !

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟121,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a lot of scripture you(Bf52) don’t seem to be knowledgeable of.
One gets the impression Bf52 may actually believe he has more spiritual wisdom than did the writer of James 2:14-26.. Not unusual as there's some controversy who actually penned this letter ... the on-going state of scholarly Christianity.
You(Bf52) are using reason or logic, which is man’s reasoning, instead of recognizing God is Spirit, and His ways are Higher than man’s. That’s why we need to be taught by the Spirit.
Referring to himself as "Brightfame" is in and of itself a self-righteous 'work' (his own doing). Some Christians are reluctant to be taught by the Spirit via the inspired words of James if they consider themselves to be more learned.

Early on there was some controversy whether the book of James should be included among the 27 NT books as scripture inspired by the Holy Spirit. Some mistakenly thought James use of "work" was perhaps too beholden to the 613 Hebrew-Judaic laws of work. Necessary as a prerequisite to salvation such as circumcision as was the case with the Judaizers that came from James (Galatians 2:11-14). However, some may still question whether or not the book of James should be included in the NT. They mistakenly believe that James teaching is opposed to Paul's teaching ...

"The Epistle of James was included among the 27 New Testament books first listed by Athanasius of Alexandria and was confirmed as a canonical epistle of the New Testament by a series of councils in the fourth century. Today, virtually all denominations of Christianity consider this book to be a canonical scripture." (Letter of James | Summary, Authorship, & Facts)​

The epistle is one of the seven so-called Catholic Letters (i.e., James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1, 2, and 3 John, and Jude) that were among the last of the literature to be settled on as canonical before the agreement of East and West in 367.​
The passage that stresses the importance of faith with good works (“So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.” 2:17) has been troublesome for theologians like Martin Luther who deny human participation in the process of salvation. Luther famously called the Letter of James “the epistle of straw.” The book also features the only New Testament reference to anointing of the sick (5:14), which is cited, mostly by Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox theologians, as a probable reference to what they consider one of the seven sacraments. ... Letter of James | Summary, Authorship, & Facts

Thus we can see why Bf52 thinks James is referring to "work" as a pre-salvation faith instead of a post-salvation Faith. It's worth mentioning that Abraham as well as Rahab were considered faithful by both James and the writer of Hebrews 11:1-40 Faith In Action (works ). This is not so easily accepted by someone beholden to Calvinist doctrine.

Reactions: biblelesson
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That implies Bf52 (or you) misinterpret James use of "works" as a carnal faith instead of a God given Faith. Bf52
apparently believes that "works" is a poor translation when referring to the evidence of man's post-salvation Faith.

"God's Faith given" results in "works" (good fruit Gal. 5:22-23) being manifest with one's post-salvation Faith.

"Works" in James 2:14-26 refers to the evidence of "God's faith given" ... not carnal works or religious works.
You two have it pretty nailed down it would seem.
God gives the one to whom He chooses/elects, the faith and love of Jesus Christ to have within themselves, graced with that heart faith.
And the works are a result of the faith and love being perfected in you.

But to be clear there is no works with INITIAL SALVATION for that is a GIFT. It isn't about your faith bringing you salvation, it is Gods
gift of faith and love that brought you salvation. He did it according to His election of you. Jas 1:18
What comes after is evidence of the gift having been given (works).
Those works should be mainly to rid yourself of evil as you are renewed in the mind day by day destroying the lusts of your own flesh.
Evil in the world is there for you to overcome personally, not to eradicate it, for that doesn't happen until it's all finished. Can't get sucked into an external battle, for then it leaves the carnal mind in you still alive, thats not maturing, but a failed conquest at becoming a son.
To those who received Him (gifted of His fullness) gave He them power to BECOME SONS of God. Jhn 1:12
You have been granted the opportunity to BECOME, not go to heaven but BECOME SONS. That is the goal. That is the kingdom.
Would seem you already have the righteousness of God part down. Rom 3:22

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟121,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You two have it pretty nailed down it would seem.
Unfortunately there will always be religious legalists that go out of their way finding reason to dispute the Word Of GOD (e.g. RCC vs Protestant, Baptist vs Pentecostal, Calvin vs Arminian). GOD will have the final say (judgement.
But to be clear there is no works with INITIAL SALVATION for that is a GIFT. It isn't about your faith bringing you salvation, it is Gods
Is the deep cry from the heart of a repentant sinner not a 'work' that is accounted for by the Heart of GOD

James and Paul are not opposed when it comes to God-Given Faith followed by God-Given Good Works as both are from God. These "works" mentioned by James (2:14-26 and Hebrews 11 (Faith chapter) are proof/evidence of a God-Given Faith leading to righteous "works" (evidence of God-Given Faith)

Bf52 may not believe that God-Given Works (by regenerate, born again new creations in Christ) are essentially necessary. An ultra-Calvinist may even dismiss Paul's admonition in Ephesians 2:10 ...

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

God-Given Faith whether in the OT or NT will always produce God-Given Works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟121,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is the deep cry from the heart of a repentant sinner not a 'work' that is accounted for by the Heart of GOD
Is the deep cry from the heart of a repentant sinner (leading to salvation) a 'work' initiated by himself or initiated by God or by both?

With God all things are possible whether of a Calvinist or Arminianist persuasion when it comes to being born again.

Wouldn't a born again new creation in Christ Jesus (post-Salvation) agree that "good" works are evidence of the manifest Fruit of the Holy Spirit ... whether previously of a Calvin or Arminian persuasion?

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the deep cry from the heart of a repentant sinner (leading to salvation) a 'work' initiated by himself or initiated by God or by both?

With God all things are possible whether of a Calvinist or Arminianist persuasion when it comes to being born again.

Wouldn't a born again new creation in Christ Jesus (post-Salvation) agree that "good" works are evidence of the manifest Fruit of the Holy Spirit ... whether previously of a Calvin or Arminian persuasion?
As it is election according to grace, the repentance is a work initiated by God as He is the elector. Pauls example of his own conversion
confirms that position.
He was not repentant at all, in fact was a persecutor of the church, and a blasphemer of the name of Jesus.
According to his own testimony in 1 Ti 1:13-14 it was God that had mercy on him and filled him with the faith and love that come
from Jesus Christ. And that was to show him as an example of the Lords patience with even the worst of sinners.
All the Calvin, Arminian whatever has nothing to do with what I believe for I was taught of the Holy Ghost, never read anything
that either of those two fellows wrote and don't care. Their salvation is theirs, not mine.

I would note that there will be many that will be turned away in that day that have many "good" works and He will tell them "I never knew you".
Depart from me ye workers of Iniquity. Works without faith are dead works.
So no I wouldn't necessarily agree that good works are a manifestation of the HG within one.
We are told what signs should follow the believer in Mark 16:17-18 Tongues, laying on of hands, casting out the unclean, etc... those are manifestations of the Spirit within one that truly has the Spirit. And yes all the above can be faked, but the true believer knows he/she
is of the Spirit for their works are not faked but guided by the Lord. They are given one to do, just as Jesus was given the works to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟327,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As it is election according to grace, the repentance is a work initiated by God as He is the elector.
This is true-and has been the consistent teaching of the ancient churches along with the ECFs from day one, that God initiates everything.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true-and has been the consistent teaching of the ancient churches along with the ECFs from day one, that God initiates everything.
Agreed, as He works all things according to the counsel of His own will. Eph 1:11

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟121,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As it is election according to grace, the repentance is a work initiated by God as He is the elector. Pauls example of his own conversion
confirms that position.
He was not repentant at all, in fact was a persecutor of the church, and a blasphemer of the name of Jesus.
That goes to show how deceptive is legalistic religiousity without "faith" ... Luke 5:20 When Jesus saw their [active] faith [springing from confidence in Him], He said, “Man, your sins are forgiven.”
Luke 5:30 The Pharisees and their scribes [seeing those with whom He was associating] began murmuring in discontent to His disciples, asking, “Why are you eating and drinking with the tax collectors and sinners [including non-observant Jews]?” 31 And Jesus replied to them, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but [only] those who are sick. 32 I did not come to call the [self-proclaimed] righteous [who see no need to repent], but sinners to repentance [to change their old way of thinking, to turn from sin and to seek God and His righteousness].”
46 But Jesus said, “Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me.” 47 When the woman saw that she had not escaped notice, she came trembling and fell down before Him, and declared in the presence of all the people the reason why she had touched Him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48 And He said to her, Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”
Now when Jesus heard this, He was amazed and said to those who were following, “Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. (Faith of the Roman Centurian)
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God ...Word should be capitalized as in John 1:1= Christ Jesus ... John 1:14).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That goes to show how deceptive is legalistic religiousity without "faith" ... Luke 5:20 When Jesus saw their [active] faith [springing from confidence in Him], He said, “Man, your sins are forgiven.”
Luke 5:30 The Pharisees and their scribes [seeing those with whom He was associating] began murmuring in discontent to His disciples, asking, “Why are you eating and drinking with the tax collectors and sinners [including non-observant Jews]?” 31 And Jesus replied to them, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but [only] those who are sick. 32 I did not come to call the [self-proclaimed] righteous [who see no need to repent], but sinners to repentance [to change their old way of thinking, to turn from sin and to seek God and His righteousness].”
46 But Jesus said, “Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me.” 47 When the woman saw that she had not escaped notice, she came trembling and fell down before Him, and declared in the presence of all the people the reason why she had touched Him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48 And He said to her, Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace.”
Now when Jesus heard this, He was amazed and said to those who were following, “Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. (Faith of the Roman Centurian)
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God ...Word should be capitalized as in John 1:1= Christ Jesus ... John 1:14).
Not sure I follow your reasoning.
The new covenant had not yet been established. So heart faith was not available for the born again initiation. Jesus was still yet unperfected.
He as a man, born outside the carnal mind, needed to experience that duality of good vs evil within Himself, which He did in
the garden of Gethsemane. He had to experience all things that the human experienced. Heb 2:17
It was during that period of time when He took to Himself the sin of the world, and the carnal nature that came with it, He experienced
the same desire that Peter had for Him to not go to the cross. He had rebuked Peter for not savoring the things that be of God. Matt 16:23
It was at this time that the perfecting of His faith and love took place for He had never tasted of that duality as is apparent by the fact
He was now praying the Father to remove the cup(His crucifixion). It was in laying down His own will in favor of the Fathers will that His
faith in the Father and love of the Father was proven (perfected), while in the state of mans duality.
Previously it was "I delight to do thy will O God"

It is this faith and love we receive when we are born again. To perfect it to the same degree, so that if asked to lay it down we also
will be able to prove our faith and love. Paul, Peter, John, Matthew etc..... how many have gone down that road? Only He knows.

Faith does come by hearing the word(plan) of God. But one must hear the plan(word) before the faith of Jesus Christ will come
live in their hearts. Otherwise whats the point in giving that faith to anyone who doesn't know why they are given that kind of faith?
They have started, but what now? Do they understand that? Most do not.

The hearing of the plan is the betrothal of the hearer, the marriage timing is at the leisure of the grooms Father.
Thus "no man(human) can come to me except the Father, which hath sent me, draw him."
Consummation is the moment you are born of the Spirit to begin carrying out the plan(you heard) in your own life.
Empowered to become a son. Who preaches that these days? The doctrines do not allow that!!

And lets be clear here that repentance is A CHANGE OF MIND, not groveling in the dirt about how bad one has been, although we all
have probably done that. He came to change the minds of sinners. To what end? That they would not fear death and live righteously in accordance with love of the Father and our fellow man.
Will some be tried by death, Yes. By flame, sword, etc... Dan 11:35 Rev 6:11 To prove them to make them white, and to purge even unto
the end.

The perfecting of the received faith and love that comes from the abundance of Jesus Christ are the works that need be done.

Ye are saved by grace, not a work you do. But the perfecting of what was received is required to be conformed to the son.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@AbbaLove

Sounds like you saying that ones sins are forgiven on the basis of God seeing their active faith, thats works/merit salvation.

Ones sins are forgiven based on the blood of Christ being shed for them Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Reactions: Samson2021
Upvote 0