Is 30-30 Adequate for Black Bear and Wild Hog?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟109,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Title says it all. I know that it greatly depends on shot placement, but is it adequate for black bear and wild hog. It would be for encounter situations, not hunting black bear and hog from something like a stand.
I do not hunt nor does my family, but used to live in a small town where some of my friend's parents hunted. So, to do a good service to you, I asked some AI to help. Hopefully the robot that lives on my laptop can help you make the right decision on the type of hunting firearm you need. :)

Mistral 7B Response:
A 30-30 rifle can be adequate for hunting both black bears and wild hogs, but it depends on various factors such as the specific caliber of the 30-30 (Winchester or Marlin), the distance of the shot, and the size of the animal being hunted.

For black bears, a minimum caliber recommendation from many hunting organizations is a .308 Winchester or larger for safety reasons and to ensure quick and humane kills. However, a well-placed shot with a 30-30 can still be effective, especially at closer ranges.

For wild hogs, a 30-30 is generally considered a suitable caliber for hunting these animals due to their relatively small size and the fact that they are not known to be particularly hard to kill. However, larger wild hogs or boars may require a more powerful cartridge for a quick and humane kill at longer ranges.

It's important to remember that hunting regulations vary by location, so it's always a good idea to check local laws and consult with experienced hunters or wildlife experts before heading out into the field. Proper shot placement is also crucial, regardless of caliber or animal size.

Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,152.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here in Canada, the .30-30 has been used successfully for deer and black bear. It would be fine for tough animals like bear and hog at ranges up to 100 yards. If being used for animal defense, use open sights. It is a good choice IMO; moderate recoil as well.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟424,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like something a little larger. Revolvers for close in like a 41 magnum or larger with heavy bullet. The 30-30 is adequate but bear are tough so are pigs. I like larger caliber carbines too like a 45-70. Seems close up you want to stop them fast and have knock down power. 100 yds is too far to feel like you’ll be attacked, just exit quietly. But if you want a predator or pest and don’t want a confrontation then what about a 35 Remington lever action marlin. Sounds like you want something fast and light. I suggest something heavier.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0