'Invasion By Design': House Democrats Unanimously Reject Adding Citizenship To Census

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟221,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The legislation is expected to be dead on arrival in the Democrat-controlled Senate. Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) argued that the Constitution prohibits not counting every "person" living in the country. "If we were being cynical politically, we would embrace this legislation because it's the red states like Texas in Florida, whose congressional delegation is already inflated by virtue of counting people who are not citizens," Raskin said. "We're simply trying to follow what the Constitution says, which I know is kind of a radical proposition around here these days."

Such sudden concern about following the U.S. Constitution.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟376,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The legislation is expected to be dead on arrival in the Democrat-controlled Senate. Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) argued that the Constitution prohibits not counting every "person" living in the country. "If we were being cynical politically, we would embrace this legislation because it's the red states like Texas in Florida, whose congressional delegation is already inflated by virtue of counting people who are not citizens," Raskin said. "We're simply trying to follow what the Constitution says, which I know is kind of a radical proposition around here these days."

Glad that you agree.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I don’t think that a citizenship provision would pass muster in SCOTUS, given that the Constitution says “persons”.
Now, if Republicans would like to change it to “citizens” well, when they are successful opening a Constitutional convention, all items will be on the table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0