Florida
✟118,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It seems a lot of CF members equate "online church" with "televangelist" and assume they exist for money instead of preaching God's Word. But other people say it only means you watch the sermons that physical churches show on their websites. That would mean there is no such thing as an Internet church. How can I figure out which online church is right for me? What is true about online churches - do they actually exist?

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,027,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems a lot of CF members equate "online church" with "televangelist" and assume they exist for money instead of preaching God's Word. But other people say it only means you watch the sermons that physical churches show on their websites. That would mean there is no such thing as an Internet church. How can I figure out which online church is right for me? What is true about online churches - do they actually exist?
Watching churches online doesn’t provide the Eucharist (communion) as well as various other things that we are supposed to do. It also does not provide the same level of community or gathering together as a body of Christ. If someone cannot come to services for some reason, online services are a good resource. If that is the case on a regular basis, for example - having to do that because of health issues, then they should work with the priest / pastor to still get the Eucharist, etc.

Note that I am not equating all online services to televangelists, etc. My parish has Live-streaming of our services on YouTube for those who cannot come, but we also should not use it as a regular replacement, unless, as said earlier, there are reasons why in-person church cannot be done.

It is unfortunate that so many watch services online now instead of coming to the Church in person. It is a blessing for those that cannot attend (i.e. elderly, health problems), but it never should be a replacement if the person is able to come.

In answer to your question, I cannot recommend finding an online church. I do, however, recommend finding a Church with similar beliefs to your own. As far as whether online churches exist or not, it’s possible for some to be online only, but I haven’t seen that frequently.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As Laura says, there are no sacraments online. The internet can allow us access to some of what is good about church, but it cannot be the whole experience of worshipping with a gathered community.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As Laura says, there are no sacraments online. The internet can allow us access to some of what is good about church, but it cannot be the whole experience of worshipping with a gathered community.

Believe me, I would definitely go to a physical church if I could. I have missed being able to do that for years. And I totally agree it is not the whole experience we need every Sunday morning.

But after losing my ability to attend church, I fell away from God. I need whatever I can get to come back to Him.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess my answer to that would depend on why you're not able to attend. If it's a mobility issue, I'd encourage seeing whether you can combine online church with being visited by someone for that in-person contact and care.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I guess my answer to that would depend on why you're not able to attend. If it's a mobility issue, I'd encourage seeing whether you can combine online church with being visited by someone for that in-person contact and care.

I am medically barred from driving forever and my mom refuses to take me to any church that is not Methodist. That is not a denomination I can support.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟562,221.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are also broadcasts from physical churches which are not the same as services designed for online consumption.
Services for "online only consumption" were a mainstay of COVID.

As others say it lacks direct involvement in sacraments, but watching the sacraments is the next best thing to participation.

It is not everyones cup of tea, but for example - I watch the services, particularly during festivals, at Fatima in portugal which are all broadcast as well as the prayer sessions. I have noticed other denominations also advertise video access to some physical services too.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok this is a bit off topic but God does not love cats. Cats are evil!! I remember the time I tried to baptize our cat in the bathtub it was a disaster!! I was all like “in the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of The HOLY MOLY!! REEEEOOOWWWW!!! Stupid thing tried to kill me!!

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ok this is a bit off topic but God does not love cats. Cats are evil!! I remember the time I tried to baptize our cat in the bathtub it was a disaster!! I was all like “in the name of The Father, and of The Son, and of The HOLY MOLY!! REEEEOOOWWWW!!! Stupid thing tried to kill me!!

There is no reason to attempt to baptize a cat. The fact they hate to get wet is common knowledge. And I believe you are making that up.

If God did not love cats, He would not have made and blessed them. My username comes from Genesis 1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no reason to attempt to baptize a cat. The fact they hate to get wet is common knowledge. And I believe you are making that up.

If God did not love cats, He would not have made and blessed them. My username comes from Genesis 1.
It was only a joke

Upvote 0