• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Insanity and Back Due to Christ

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟128,594.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been to complete insanity and have come back thanks to Christ. I started hearing voices in the first week of my freshman year in college, at IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania). Shortly afterwards I went completely off the deep end. I thought that I had psychic powers and that the voices in my head were other people on campus talking to me, I was wandering around campus late at night screaming. One night the voices had me convinced that I was killing people with my powers and that I had to get away from campus to save their lives, I picked a direction and started walking. I walked across town and came to a dead end street and the town ended and the forest started. I kept walking. It was about 3am and I was just walking around out in the woods, there was a good 5 inches of snow on the ground and it was around 20 degrees out and nobody knew where I was. The voices were telling me to keep going, finally I heard something howling and that is when I decided to go back. I retraced my steps by following my footprints in the snow and eventually was back in town and I returned to IUP. I had friends and was going to class and was taking care of myself but in my world lots of strange things were happening. I paid my grandparents a visit (they lived close to IUP) and one night I was convinced that some people from school had followed me back from campus and were up in the attic watching me with hidden cameras, I took apart everything in the room trying to find the cameras. I could hear voices coming from the attic, I did not realize that I was hallucinating! I eventually landed in the psych ward at the local hospital and they put me on medication which did not work. I gave my life to Christ in 2003 and I was delivered from the voices and God restored me to a right frame of mind, I am now restored to normal health!

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟383,571.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dave - it is not the same for everyone but my return to 'normality' took 7 years with lots of prayer and ministry and consuming Scripture.

Find loving fellowship, get as much prayer as possible.

Find a mature elder to be an accountable prayer partner.

There are others on CF that have had to walk the long road back.

Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0