In the parable of the Foolish Virgins, what does the oil represent?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟93,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oil represents the Holy Spirit and empowerment, 1 Samuel 16:

13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward.
Matthew 25:

1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any ****oil with them.
The foolish virgins either do not take any oil with them, or they do not take enough oil. This is the poverty of their spiritual condition.

4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
The wise ones are prepared for contingency. They have the Holy Spirit's anointing.

6“At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’
7“Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’
9“ ‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’
You cannot borrow the Holy Spirit. You have to pay a price for it.

10“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.
11“Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’
It's too late. The oil that they have now is powerless to get in.

12“But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’
13“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
The oil symbolizes spiritual preparedness.

Michu

Jan 21, 2024
Earth
✟5,004.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does oil represent the holy spirit in that verse though or was it an component that brought the holy spirit upon David?

I've heard that aswell and that it refers to the holy spirit, so would that mean that the five wise virgins representing those that have been born again out of the spirit? Or could they still lack the oil the day and hour no man knoweth?

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟93,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟219,272.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think the oil burning in the lamps are a type of making sure ones spirit is in truly and genuine fellowship with the Lord. Many could substitute many good things in it's place even bible discussion. I say at times one can even have theology as their god but they don't have the God of the theology. You need both. Do we have daily prayer, fellowship with the Lord taking place on a consistent basis or is all we've got is a mere religion and not a relationship?

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Michu

Jan 21, 2024
Earth
✟5,004.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the oil burning in the lamps are a type of making sure ones spirit is in truly and genuine fellowship with the Lord. Many could substitute many good things in it's place even bible discussion. I say at times one can even have theology as their god but they don't have the God of the theology. You need both. Do we have daily prayer, fellowship with the Lord taking place on a consistent basis or is all we've got is a mere religion and not a relationship?
Interesting, I actually spoke of it being the love for god in the angle of discussion I took pretty spontaneously. And I mean you could say if you are born again out of the spirit you would have the love for god.

Lamp and oil means that you would have light in the darkness, being midnight for context and the parable ends with the conclusion that you are to watch for you don't know when the son of man cometh.

So to me it was almost looks like a measurement to how you know you're born again out of the spirit. By how much you long for that day of unity with the lord that is promised to us. You would definitly be watching along the times.

And as much I think no "so called christian" wants to admit this, for some who's life is good the kingdom of heaven can wait.

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0