If your God is a jerk --- it might be you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do the Orthodox speak of God's direct and permissive will?

Of course God can bring good out of evil and allows it for that and, but He also doesn't cause everything He allows. He doesn't want us to suffer in itself but allows for a greater good

That's my perspective anyway
The theology of God's will is not something I'm able to speak authoritatively on. Maybe one of my Orthodox brothers or sisters will be able to.

I think we would certainly agree that He doesn't cause evertything He allows. Sin is the cause of much suffering, for example, and He certainly doesn't will that - but He may often allow it. And yet, as you say, He often turns it to good, if we are willing to cooperate with Him. I think many of the natural sorts of calamities, from storms to serious illness, are essentially the result of sin, in the sense that we live in a fallen world, so many bad things just naturally happen. Beyond that I wouldn't say. And I agree that God doesn't really desire us to suffer, but He does desire us to come to Him and be saved. If temporary suffering serves that greater good, He will certainly allow that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,480,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do the Orthodox speak of God's direct and permissive will?

Of course God can bring good out of evil and allows it for that and, but He also doesn't cause everything He allows. He doesn't want us to suffer in itself but allows for a greater good

That's my perspective anyway

yes, we St Maximos teaches this very thing. there is the providential will (God wills that we live) and the willing will (God knew that we would fall away to He allows death to restore us to life).

• Informative
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0