• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I only experience emotions in dreams

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone heard of this condition before?

I have this condition and barely feel emotion when I'm conscious. Even for highly dramatic events.

When I dream in my sleep, I can feel emotions again in full! I cry for "real" in the dream.

I doubt that you are completely unemotional when awake, but feeling what you do in your dreams is not unusual.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,973.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I doubt that you are completely unemotional when awake, but feeling what you do in your dreams is not unusual.

I'm actually feeling strong emotions again while conscious and it's back with vengeance! Began late last year.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone heard of this condition before?

I have this condition and barely feel emotion when I'm conscious. Even for highly dramatic events.

I very barely feel sadness, sorrow, fear, happiness, etc. If I do, only for a very fleeting moment and then it's gone (I think my brain is automatically reacting to suppress my emotions). I used to feel emotions fully, but for the last several years, I've lost my emotions progressively. I can't even remember how they feel.

I still express emotions by acting so I look normal to other people. But it's an act, I don't genuinely feel emotions.

Here's the very interesting part.

When I dream in my sleep, I can feel emotions again in full! I cry for "real" in the dream. But when I wake up, I remember the dream but not the feelings.

It's very hard to describe what I'm "feeling" right now. Since I can barely feel any emotion. It's like trying to look for something you used to have and now is lost.

Have you prayed about this ?
Do you want to be healed ?
What actually do you dream ? What emotions that you express in the dreams ?
What constantly your mind set when you are dreaming ?
What usually do you think while awake ?

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes indeed. really liked that episode.

And I can relate. My dad beat emotions out of me at an early age. So from my experience, it is some kind of mental block in your conscious mind which keeps you from actually feeling, and that filter is not in your subconscious. But that is only a guess based on my own experience. I could still feel some, but there was a total disconnect with being able to express it. Like you I could fake it to look normal, but it was an act.

It has taken a lot of years of prayer to get me to be emotionally connected again, but it is still far from complete.

My dad abused me in different ways and I struggle to connect with feelings . Either numb or very dysregulated (they call it BPD/EUPD). As my dad was a christian I struggle emotionally connecting with
God and don't really love Him. I want to but don't . I try to obey Him but if I loved Him I wouldn't disobey

Upvote 0